Prior/Rowe and the linkage with St Kitts

Your descriptions of how things were, or of how things are... or of major events that touched our lives.
For the enlightenment of future generations.

Prior/Rowe and the linkage with St Kitts

Postby MarjorieS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm

As part of my genealogy I have a Gt.x2 grandmother who came from a mariner family named Rowe whose home was close to Falmouth in Cornwall U.K.
Margery Hannah Rowe was a schoolmistress, probably in Truro before her marriage to Charles Prior, a ship's carpenter.
Sometime after 1851 the family sailed for Chile where Charles worked in Lota in the mining industry. Sadly he met a violent death and Margery, writing about that time says she returned to teaching both in Valparaiso and in St. Kitts.
I am puzzled that she went to St Kitts, Perhaps she had relatives or friends there.
A few years later, having married one of her daughters to a Captain Benson who sailed around South America via Cape Horn and also up the E. coast of N.America his ship was lost as they journeyed around the Horn.
Margery purchased a ship for him which she called the Mary Rowe.
I wonder if any information exists about her, or perhaps others in her family or circle of friends, in St Kitts or other Islands?
MarjorieS

Return to Living Histories