CLARKE/CLARK - Jamaica, St. Ann/St. Mary (Port Maria)

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CLARKE/CLARK - Jamaica, St. Ann/St. Mary (Port Maria)

Postby MeraM » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:47 am

Seeking info on CLARKE siblings Elizabeth, Matilda, Henry and possibly 11 other siblings of St. Ann and St. Mary (Port Maria). Born mid to late 1800s. Matilda had at least three children, one named Louise CLEMENSON. Elizabeth (aka Miss Lizzie) had two daughters: Siclyn STERLING (Panamanian or Costa Rican father) and Wilhelmina MCFARLANE/MACFARLANE (father James, Scottish decent). Matilda worked as a nurse in or near Port Maria, St. Mary, Jamaica. Elizabeth worked with a judge and a doctor. Got this info from the 90 yr old daughter of Wilhelmina, so the spelling of the names could vary.

Additional info at the Jamaica Cato Clan website http://otac.isa-geek.net/clancato/
Seeking Jamaican relatives: BROWN, BRYAN, CATO, CAMERON, MCFARLANE, & TERROADE (also New York, Canada, England);
MITCHELL/STUBBS/TAYLOR - Texas (Wharton, Silsbee, Houston) & California (San Francisco)
STERLING (also Jamaica, Panama, Cuba), PURNELL
MeraM

clark/clarke/love st ann jamaica

Postby christine » Mon May 19, 2008 3:44 pm

hi i am looking for any info i can on my roots
my grandfather was born jamaica around 1880 his name was william augustus clark or clarke.he came to the uk around 1912,
his father was henry clark or clarke all i know about him is that he was a plantation overseer that was on my grandfathers marrage papers,
my grandfather died in 1960 in the uk,and i have been told a letter was sent to his sister,her name was jane love she is also dead now but the address was old beathany alexandrea post jamaica,i know jane had a daughter clair married name fraser,she did live in kingston, she died about 10 years ago
the other information i found was clair had a grandson last name brown,that is all i know about my family, i will be happy with any information i may receve with many thanks christine
christine

Postby christine » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

hi please can you tell me if a place called old bethany alexandrea post st ann have come up in you search thank you
christine

Re: CLARKE/CLARK - Jamaica, St. Ann/St. Mary (Port Maria)

Postby christine » Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 am

hi i sent you a reply last year and i know think we have the same clarks,i have a place called content st ann for 1885, do you know if it thank you
christine

Postby bimjim » Sun May 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Christine...

With such a long time without reply (3 years) I have emailed MeraM requiring a response.

If this person does not respond within 7 days they and all their Posts will be deleted from the Index registration for lack of contact and response.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MeraM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 am

Christine,
My apology for not answering your response. I did not get any replies to my three posts on this site for almost a year. So, I stopped coming to it.
Today, an internet search that lead me back to my own post. Go figure. Must be fate!

I just found some information on your father, William Agustus CLARK at this site, FamilySearch.org (Click to go to search result).
The data seems to fit your information. See below. Note, searches on FamilySearch.org are free of charge!

I also found information on a possible elder sister named Elma CLARKE, born 20-Oct-1881 in Bristol, Alexandria District, St. Ann Parish, JAMAICA.
See below the different spellings for the mother's name and last name CLARKE vs CLARK.
Check this link at FamilySearch.org for Elma CLARKE's birth registration data and a photo of the actual registration.

I have attached below an easier to read version of the birth registration for William Agustus CLARK. I hope this helps with your search.

Best of luck to you.

MeraM

--------oo--------oo--------

Name: WILLIAM AGUSTUS CLARK
Event Date: 10 Jan 1885
Event Type: Birth
Event Place: St. Ann, Jamaica
Father: Henry CLARK
Mother: Alice ALLEN
Certificate/Entry Number:
Page:
Digital Folder Number: 4006244
Image Number: 01750
Film Number: 1389174

--------oo--------oo--------

Name: ELMA CLARK
Event Date: 20 Oct 1881
Event Type: Birth
Event Place: St. Ann, Jamaica
Father: Henry CLARKE / CLARK
Mother: Elsie ALLEN (also ALICE ALLEN CLARK)
Certificate/Entry Number:
Page:
Digital Folder Number: 4006236
Image Number: 00031
Film Number: 1389171

Attachments
CLARK William Agustus 10 Jan 1885 birth Alexandria -Content St Ann Jamaica.jpg
Birth registration for William Agustus CLARK born 10 Jan 1885 in Content, Alexandria District, St. Ann Parish, JAMAICA
Seeking Jamaican relatives: BROWN, BRYAN, CATO, CAMERON, MCFARLANE, & TERROADE (also New York, Canada, England);
MITCHELL/STUBBS/TAYLOR - Texas (Wharton, Silsbee, Houston) & California (San Francisco)
MeraM

Postby bimjim » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 pm

MeraM...

Your User settings on this site indicate that email Alerts are being sent to you as triggered by Replies or Private Messages here. Please ensure that your email settings and/or SPAM filters allow emails from the domains candoo.com and caribbeanavenue.com, or at some point I will remove you from the registration and delete all of your Posts.

The reason Alerts are sent to you is to avoid exactly what happened here - others getting no response or emails to you bouncing because you have moved on in your mail address. Such results mean endless frustration on the part of other users, and I am determined that this site will get results if at all possible. It simply is not reasonable to keep people waiting 3 years for a reply.

Again, please ensure that your email settings and/or SPAM filters allow emails from the domains candoo.com and caribbeanavenue.com.

Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator
Caribbean Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MeraM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:02 am

Jim,

I am sorry I was not helpful sooner. As you can see, I got a response about 14 months after posting the first post in this section. I responded when I searched yesterday specifically for information that could help "christine" who placed the other posts.

For your information, I responded to her first post about 3months after it was sent. I responded privately since I stopped coming to this site. See the attachment. This was in between a tropical storm and Hurricane Ike that tore up my house in Texas and Hurricane Gustav that stranded me in Jamaica! So, responding to emails from this site was not my highest priority as you can imagine.

I found info on other sites which is where I focused my efforts on genealogical research. Spam may have kicked off the other emails. I get hundreds each day. Can't say what happened.

You may delete all my posts and my access as you see fit. It's your prerogative as the site owner/administrator. Plus, I acknowledged this when you sent email stating the same. This has little impact to me. I have not found enough information on this site that meets my needs. I do hope you pass on the information to Christine before deleting the post. I sent her an email yesterday as I did 3 years ago. Maybe, she has moved on as well.

Have a blessed day!

Heather
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-02-07 at 11.09.49 PM.png
PROOF TO BIMJIM THAT I RESPONDED 3 YEARS AGO TO THE POST.
MeraM

Postby bimjim » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Heather...

Sorry for sounding so harsh, but if you had given an inkling about the reason for the 3-year delay my Post would not have happened. I can only respond to the information presented to me.

I try to keep as many users here as possible for the simple reason that genealogy is a long-term project and this resource takes care of two of the important aspects few of the other resources address - 1. the Caribbean, and 2. non-database records (today's disconnected family somewhere searching for today's disconnected family somewhere else).

As a programmer I have taken great pains to build and adapt this resource to do certain things, just one of them to hide email addresses from stalkers and SPAMmers, another to ensure that EVERY enquiry that can possibly touch someone else's family tree actually makes that connection.

I recognise that you have had priorities and accept that you have had to put things off. But 3 years?

Once you have Posted your info, you don't need to keep coming back to this site - that is why the software is programmed to send Alerts to you. But, if you find a connection it is normal to expect that you have a duty to yourself, to your family - and to the other person - to solidify that contact. And, once you have confirmed that you are related, to take just a few minutes to then - if at all possible - exchange contacts, locations and a few words if you absoloutely have to take time out for other urgent matters.

I see good contacts here across many generations and thousands of miles on average twice a month, and that is the only payment or reward I receive for providing this free resource. But because this resource is free does not relieve any of us of the duty to ourselves and our families, past and present, near and far away.

You speak about SPAM - I have been there, done that, and that is one reason why I use a private contact form and ensure that nobody's email address here is published for any reason. But my deluge passed 6,000 SPAM a day before I gave up and moved addresses, changed the way I presented myself on the internet, and I suggest you do the same. Use one Hotmail or gmail address for all commercial messages - subscriptions, any company or corporate messages - and another email address for family and friends ONLY.

Hotmail and gmail software filters most SPAM out, saving you that time-consuming horror.

You may not have seen much info here that helps your research, but storing data (although this resource is open to storing data) is not the primary purpose of this resource. That purpose is to help separated family members communicate with each other... which it does very well. And I insist on my users having valid emails - and mailboxes that are not ever full - because those are hindrances to communication, just as not responding to or ignoring a contact.

I hope you can see what i am getting at... and that you will make more contacts here in the future to connect you with other family members.

Best regards,
Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Cynthia C » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi,

My mother's paternal side is Clarke, her grandfather is Reuel John Joseph Clarke born in the Jamaican British West Indies, on October 4, 1891. He is one of what we are told is 19 children of Robert Clarke and Louisa Matilda Arrons. We have some birth records, but not all of them, as well as pictures but no names to go with them. If you know anything that could help me please let me know.

Thank you
Cynthia C

Return to Surnames C