COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernando

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernando

Postby Palkirkham » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am

I am researching the family of James Henry Collins and his wife Anna Maud Kirkham who migrated to Trinidad with their children around 1884-1888. They had 10 children in Essex, England, some of whom died young. Three more were born in Port of Spain.

James was a butcher and farmer in Dedham Essex, England, but I do not know why he went to Trinidad and what his occupation may have become. Anna died in 1931 at St Ann's, Trinidad, and James in 1930 in Trinidad The youngest child, Mary Esther Collins married George Shaw Swan and he lived and died in North District of San Fernando, Trinidad in 1942. They had 7 children. The youngest was Arthur born 1921, died 1961 in Trinidad. The others may still be living in Trinidad.

If anyone knows anything of any of these family members and how I could gather information about them, I would be glad to receive a reply.

Pamela Kirkham, in South Australia
Palkirkham

Re: COLLINS - Trinidad, Port of Spain, St. Ann's, San Fernan

Postby ccollens » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I am a direct descendant of James Henry Collens, born in Port of Spain Trinidad. The family name is spelt Collens but a lot of records show Collins. I have quite a bit of information on the Collens family and would love to hear from you in regards to his family. Regards
ccollens

Postby bimjim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

ccollens, this is the thread I was referring to in my email...
www.candoo.com/surnames/viewtopic.php?f ... 376&p=6760

May I suggest you also Post and join in on that one?
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Palkirkham » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 am

To C Collens;

I am pleased to hear from you.

My interest in the Collens family stems from his wife Anna Maud Kirkham who is a 1st cousin 4 times removed from my Husband, Leslie Kirkham. We live in S. Australia. I was initially confused as the early records I had spelt the name Collins. These were from the IGI and subsequently proved to have many errors. However, after I made my first post someone suggested it was spelt Collens. I went back and checked what records I had and redid them and many turned up with the name spelt Collens.

Then I was able to access more records for which I paid from a correspondent on this site. Anna Maud's father was a brother of my husband's gg grandfather.

I was interested as to why they went to Trinidad, as the other brother went to S. Africa.

I am happy to share with you. You can send me a Private Message here.

Thank you for responding.

Pamela Kirkham (palkirkham)
Palkirkham

Return to Surnames C