CHANDLER - Barbados, St John

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Postby rutheifert » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:25 pm

Seeking Frances Greaves CHANDLER b 1822 m.Robert EDWARDS. May be child of Katherine BELGRAVE and Abel CHANDLER.
rutheifert

Postby momlane » Sun May 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Ruth,
Don't know if you found out any info. on Frances Greaves Chandler yet but, though I might help you. I went on http://www.familysearch.org and found were she was born about 1822. She married Robert Edwards on 12-23-1841 in St. Peter, Barbados. Robert Edwards was born about 1821.
I could only find 2 children as follows:
(1) Charles Benjamin Edwards - C- 9-17-1857 in St. Joseph. He married Lucy St, Clair Marshall on 11-12-1879 in St. John.
(2) Isabel Emily Irealis Edwards - C- 10-1859 in St. John. She married John Albert Gibson on 12-8-1880 in St. John.
John Albert Gibson's Father was John Robert Gibson, Mother was Mary Rebecca King.
Could not find Frances parents. Did find Abel Corbin Chandler, but no info. as to him being her Father.
I don't know if you have gone on http://www.familysearch.org, it is easy to use and you might be able to find more info by yourself. I hope this will help you.
momlane

Postby bimjim » Mon May 21, 2007 12:07 am

If you go to the Mormons' IGI database on-line you will find no less than 1,604 Edwards listed.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

Simply enter 'Edwards' in the surname textbox, select 'Caribbean Islands' from the Region drop-down box, and click on the Submit button. The listing will be alphabetical, 200 entries to a page.

Each name listed will be a link. Click on that and you will 'drill down' to the event, and there you will see listed the names and dates. I have not often seen much more by way of layers below that, but try the obvious links and see how far you can get.

The 'Family' link may get you more, depending on how the information was submitted to the IGI.

Copy and Paste from the web pages into a NotePad or Word document as you go along... it's easier that way!!

Caveat: Please note: The IGI is not considered 'reliable' by serious genealogists because it accepts family trees at face value from anyone who wants to submit them. You should know that many family trees are grossly inaccurate - including 'wishful thinking' with dubious connections to royalty or famous people.

Having said that, the IGI is a great source for kick-starting research that has encountered a dead end (also known by genealogists as a 'brick wall'), by providing leads and other information which should all be checked and verified with official records wherever possible for accuracy.

It looks like a huge task, but there is an easy approach. Figure approximately 20 years or so for a generation (less the further back you go) and look for familiar names around those points in time.

I hope you hit the jackpot... good luck!!
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames C