CROMBIE - Guyana

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CROMBIE - Guyana

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 pm

John Crombie and Christina Frances Schlatterer were married in British Guiana on 16th May 1872. I am interested in tracing any descendants. Known children of this marriage were John Jacob Crombie b.1873 and Alexander Crombie b.1877. A daughter was also born in 1876.
Malcolm McCallum
Malcolm McCallum

Re: CROMBIE - Guyana

Postby Richwyn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:09 am

There was a well known Sportscaster on the radio by the name of B. L. Crombie in British Guiana/Guyana. He must have been born around the early 1900s. He was a foster brother to my Great-grand-mother b.1896. You can search the internet for more information on him.
Richwyn

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Would love to know if there is a connection between B L Crombie and my Crombie ancestors. Are BLCs parents known?
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Richwyn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I will speak to my Mom and see if she knows. I will get back to you later.
Richwyn

Postby Richwyn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:37 am

Are your Crombies related to John Crombie who worked with Sprostons up the Demerara River in the late 1800s early 1900s?
Richwyn

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:04 am

Yes. John Jacob Crombie is listed as a clerk at Sprostons in the British Guiana Directories for 1898 and 1904. He was my grandfather's brother. He died on board ship in 1913 whilst travelling to England. I believe he was still working for Sprostons at the time of his death.
My grandfather, Alexander Jamieson Crombie, and John Jacob Crombie were the sons of John Crombie and Christina Frances Crombie nee Schlatterer who were married in British Guiana in 1872.
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Richwyn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:57 am

From my research so far it is becoming quite likely from speaking at length with my mom that the Crombie I asked you about was the father of B.L Crombie. He was also John J. Crombie. He had B.L. Crombie with an Amerindian woman who lived in a village up the Demerara River blighted by "galloping consumption" - that is very infectious and deadly TB up. B.L. was rescued as a baby and raised a sickly child by a spinster Fanny Thompson who ran a boarding house but lived with her brother and his wife who were school teachers in Wismar. B.L's father later married a Chinese woman who was previously married to an Indian. B.L's father had a child with this Chinese woman and tis child was named May. She became May Allicock when she married a Wreford Allicock a relative of my Great Grand-mother. Brinsley had a brother who lived at Lusignan. It is not yet known if he carried the name Crombie or what became of him. Brinsley also had a cousin who lived in Barbados. I spoke to Brinsley's son by his second marriage who supplied the last two facts. Brinsley had two sons by his first wife, a Fiedtkou from upper Demerara and a relative of the Allicocks. He had a daughter in addition to the son by his second wife who was a Maries from the UK but who left the UK after WWII for Montreal where Brinsley met her in 1958 during the British Empire Exhibition/Games in Montreal. She might have been in the Fencing team. She travelled to B.G. in 1960 where she and Brinsley got married. She is now in a nursing home in Vancouver, B.C. near the son who I spoke with today. He did not know much about Brinsley, as the latter did not speak much about himself. Do you have any info. on the origins of Schlaterer and Crombie you mentioned as parents of John J. Crombie? Were they born in B.G. or did they come from elsewhere?
Richwyn

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:05 am

Please PM me so that I can send you information which I have.
Regards
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:56 pm

I have information that JJC and Rachel Yhap had 3 children - May, Irving and Gerald Alexander. I have been in touch with some descendants. I have no knowledge of a marriage between JJC and Rachel Yhap - know that he married Margaret (Daisy) Haly and that they had 4 children. JJC died on board ship.
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:06 pm

John Jacob Schlatterer and his wife, Frederika, came from Wurtemberg in Germany. Their two daughters were born in British Guiana. Sophia Annie Schlatterer married Alvin Hatch a seaman from Maine USA. Christina Frances Schlatterer married John Crombie on 25th May 1872 in BG.
They had 5 children - John Jacob Crombie born 1873 died at sea 1913. Mary Crombie born 1876 died 1957. Married Robert Hargreaves and lived in Martin County, Minneapolis,USA. Alexander Jamieson Crombie born 1877 died 1941 Darlington, England. a son born 1880 and a daughter born 1885 both of whom died as infants.
For a short time John Jacob and Frederika were in New York where John ran a lagerbeer salon! It was there that their son John was born in 1859. Son John returned to New York, married Mary and they had children - Mabel, John, Estelle, and Mildred.
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Richwyn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Malcolm, Thanks for the info. in your PM. I spoke to my mom again. I had misconstrued what she said about the marriage of the Chinese woman. According to my mom she was married to the East Indian but not to John Crombie. The marriage to the Indian was also after her time with John. My mom was pleasantly surprised that there were other children with John besides May but admits that she had never heard any talk about the others. She also instantly remembered that the Chinese woman was named Rachel Yhap as soon as I said the name. The existence of the other children might explain the existence of a brother to Brinsley in Lusignan that Brinsley's son mentioned. The cousin met in B'dos is still a puzzle. Best regards, Richard
Richwyn

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

Richard

Another question for your mother - did she know that John Jacob Crombie did get married to Josephine Margaret (Daisy) Haly and had 4 children. Sadly the youngest died of fever as a 5 year old, and the third child was killed by lightening when in his 20s. John Jacob Crombie died on board ship when coming to England in 1913 and was buried at sea. His two oldest children were educated in England and descendants remain over here.

Had your mother ever heard of my grandfather and the Schlatterers or my grandfather's first wife, Eunice McLeod?

I do have details of the descendants of Gerald Alexander Crombie and am trying to find more about May Crombie and her family.

Regards
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby Richwyn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 am

Do you have a year for the marriage of John to Daisy and how long did this marriage last? Where did they live? What was the period for the relationship between Rachel and John? Any years of birth for the children with her? And where did they live? I will speak to my mom about any knowledge of Daisy. Best regards, Richard.
Richwyn

Postby Malcolm McCallum » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Richard
Children of John and Rachel - Mary born 1900 BG married Wreford Allicock; Irving, no dates knowm. Married someone by the name of Mary. Believed to live in Jamaica whilst his wife and daughter came to England in the 1960s; Gerald Alexander born 1903 BG died 1982 Port Charlotte,Florida. Married Ellas Elaine Huggins. He travelled to New York in 1923 with the ship's passenger list showing his next of kin as Rachel Yhap, referring to her as Mrs R Hymer of Wismar, Demerera River. Rachel flew to New York in 1954 to be with her son and daughter in law who had 3 children, all born in New York - Michelle Elaine b.1959, Paul J b.1951, Robin Claire b.1954.
John Jacob Crombie and Daisy - date of marriage not yet known, Children all born in BG. Bessie Christina 1907, Margaret Phyllis 1909, Robert Cresswell 1911 died 1936, Stella Eva 1912 died 1917. Widowed in 1913, the family lived in BG until 1922 when they came to England where Bessie Christina had been since 1919 when she came to a school in England.
I hope this helps. I would like to send my file but do not know how to on this system.
Malcolm
Malcolm McCallum

Postby bimjim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:08 pm

To send an attached file, click on the "PM" icon to the right of Richwyn's Post -- it may be found immediately UNDER the text to the right of his Post which indicates...

"Richwyn

[PM]"

The form is already pre-loaded with Richwyn as the destination, and at the bottom of that form you will find...

"If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.
Filename: - - [Browse] - - [Add the file]"

Add a Subject and some text, [Browse] your hard drive to the location of the file, select it and click on [Submit], then click on the previous [Submit] button under the text box and the whole message with attachment will be sent to Richwyn.

You must click on the PM icon to the right of a Post made by the person you want to communicate with, it cannot be just any PM icon.

HTH

Jim Lynch
Admin
bimjim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Surnames C