New: Caribbean Newspapers, Series 1, 1718-1876

Useful links in Caribbean Genealogy
(Please provide brief descriptions with the links)

New: Caribbean Newspapers, Series 1, 1718-1876

Postby bimjim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Many thanks to Donna!!

--

http://www.readex.com/content/caribbean ... an-society

Caribbean Newspapers, Series 1, 1718-1876: From the American Antiquarian Society
An America's Historical Newspapers Collection
    “…promises to transform scholarship on the 18th and 19th-century West Indies….a real game changer.”
      — Eliga Gould, Chair of the History Department and Professor of History, University of New Hampshire

Quick Facts

The largest collection of fully searchable 18th- and 19th-century Caribbean newspapers
    The evolution of the region across two centuries chronicled within more than 140 titles from 22 islands
    Essential for research on colonial history, the Atlantic slave trade, international commerce, New World slavery and related topics

Overview

Caribbean Newspapers, 1718-1876—the largest . collection of 18th- and 19th-century newspapers published in this region—will provide a comprehensive primary resource for studying the development of Western society and international relations within this important group of islands. This unique resource will prove essential for researching colonial history, the Atlantic slave trade, international commerce, New World slavery and U.S. relations with the region as far back as the early 18th century.

Created in cooperation with the American Antiquarian Society—one of the world's largest and most important newspaper repositories—this collection will provide students and scholars with easy access to more than 150 years of Caribbean and Atlantic history, cultures and daily life. Featuring more than 140 newspapers from 22 islands, this resource will chronicle the region’s evolution across two centuries through eyewitness reporting, editorials, legislative information, letters, poetry, advertisements, obituaries and other news items.

Most of these newspapers were published in the English language, but a number of Spanish-, French-, and Danish-language titles are also provided. Countries represented include Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Grenada, Guadaloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Nevis, Puerto Rico, St. Bartholomew, St. Christopher, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Tobago, Trinidad, and the Virgin Islands. Also found within this resource are newspapers from Bermuda, an island not technically part of the Caribbean, but situated on shipping routes between Europe and this region and integrally related to this region.

New research and teaching opportunities

This fully searchable collection of Caribbean newspapers will open up a new world of research materials for scholars and students in such departments as history, international relations, regional studies and African American studies, in particular the African Diaspora. Caribbean Newspapers will be fully integrated into America’s Historical Newspapers and the World Newspaper Archive for seamless searching with Early American Newspapers, 1690-1922; Hispanic American Newspapers, 1808-1980; and Latin American Newspapers, 1805-1922.

About the American Antiquarian Society

The American Antiquarian Society (AAS) is both a learned society and a major independent research library. The AAS library houses the largest and most accessible collection of books, pamphlets, broadsides, newspapers, periodicals, sheet music and graphic arts material printed from the colonial period through 1876 in what is now the United States, Canada and the West Indies. The Society’s holdings of American printed materials dating from 1821 through 1876 are among the most comprehensive in existence.

For more information, contact a Readex representative by calling 800.762.8182 or by using our easy contact form
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: New: Caribbean Newspapers, Series 1, 1718-1876

Postby barry » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 pm

G'day Jim, Are you aware of anyone who has a subscription for the above database? I'm interested in Jamaica only, from 1718 to 1850. Cheers, barry
barry

Postby bimjim » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:33 pm

I contacted the AAS, who tell me that they gave all of the material to Readex, and that Readex has copyright control.

I contacted Readex, who tell me that the material is available, but because of "certain agreements" they are not allowed to tell me where I can view or access it.

I contacted the Toronto Public Library system, who tell me that have no agreements with Readex.

I then contacted the University of Toronto Library, but at this point no response yet.

I have no idea why there would be such secrecy surrounding access to newspapers, but that's the way it is turning out.

If anyone gets past the 20-foot-high walls, the armed guards, the attack dogs and razor wire please Post here... all we are looking for is a list of places we can access the Readex material - and, if possible, what it might cost.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby barry » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 am

Thanks Jim for the efforts you've made.! I'll hang in here hoping to hear more in due course. Cheers, b.
barry

Postby Brooklyn Born » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Unfortunately it is not available at the Boston Public Library, the New England Historic Genealogical Society, or, apparently, most of the universities in Boston.
Brooklyn Born

Postby bimjim » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Got a reply from University of Toronto Library, they are available through both venues - Robarts and the other one - via their in-house network.

So check your local university library first, it appears public libraries - not even the ones as massive as Toronto's - are not Readex's favourite outlets.

Thank you for contacting Robarts Reference and Research Services. I understand you would like to know if the University of Toronto Libraries has access to Readex's "Caribbean Newspapers Series 1, 1718-1876: American Antiquarian Society" collection.

The University of Toronto Libraries does have access to this collection electronically, as it is part of the "America's Historical Newspapers, 1690-1922" collection, to which we subscribe.

This collection can be accessed by students, staff and faculty of the university both on and off-campus. Use the following link for direct access: http://infoweb.newsbank.com.myaccess.li ... ons=EANACN. If off-campus you will be asked to authenticate using your UTORid and password.

To access this resource through the University of Toronto Libraries Catalogue (whether on or off-campus), take the following steps:

1. Start the the University of Toronto Libraries homepage: https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/
2. Enter "America's historical newspapers" in the search box, and click the "search by title" box and the "limit to ." box, and then press search
3. Under the right-most column titled ". Journals and Databases" click the link titled "America's Historical Newspapers, 1690-1922" 4. Once in the catalogue record for the database, click the link under "Holdings" titled "Abstracts and Indexes". If off-campus you will be asked to authenticate using your UTORid and password.

You will then be redirected to the "America's Historical Newspapers, 1690-1922" database homepage. To access the "Caribbean Newspapers Series 1, 1718-1876: American Antiquarian Society" collection, simply scroll to the bottom of the page, and you will see the collection listed under the "Available Collections" heading.

If you are not associated with the University of Toronto, you are still able to access this collection by coming into the library and using one of our public LIRA computer terminals. For more information on using a LIRA terminal at one of the participating University of Toronto Libraries, visit the following link:
http://answers.library.utoronto.ca/a.php?qid=180409.

If you are looking to access the physical documents in this collection please let us know, and we can look into where this collection is held.

I hope you will find this information helpful. If you require any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us by phone, email, or chat, or visit us at the reference desk, 4th floor, Robarts Library.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Useful Links