Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

Postby Lloydilicous » Wed May 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi I am new to this site, my name is Lloydilicous and I am currently researching my family history, are there any tips or advice anyone can offer or suggestions on reading materials
Lloydilicous

Re: New member

Postby bimjim » Thu May 04, 2017 2:41 am

A good start is the Useful Links Board...
viewforum.php?f=29

I think most family researchers would start with the Mormons (LDS Latter Day Saints) famous database the IGI International Genealogical Index, which is the largest genealogy database in the world, bar none, and is FREE...
https://familysearch.org/search/

It is well worth getting to know how to use this database, especially the multi-layer "Filters"down the lower left side. By the way, it doesNOT require a first or last name to be entered, so you could hypothetically enter the surname, the names of the parents, and get back the names of all of their children (if they all have the same surname and are in the database).

Google is another good resource. If you have a string of names - we call it a "Roll Call" - list them in Google and see what comes back. What do you have to lose?

When you place a Post here, the format is NAME (in capitals) - Country, City or Area.

The objective is to Post enough information for someone else searching for you to find you, so surnames, first names, nicknames, locations, dates, anything that would click to tell the searcher that this is (or IS NOT) the family they are looking for.

Search the Index for the name/s you are looking for, and ask a question in Public. You could also send a PM Private Message, but experience has shown that a discussion in public gets you more exposure for the names in the search engines and leads to more people joining the discussion... a snowball effect.

Here is how to send a Private Message to someone on a discussion "thread"...
www.candoo.com/surnames/viewtopic.php?t=6858

The PM software allows you to exchange documents using the Attach feature.

REMINDER: DO NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESSES IN ANY PUBLIC SPACES.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion