African King Apologizes for Africa’s Role in Slavery

Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

Postby bimjim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm

http://www.yourblackworld.net/2013/07/b ... n-slavery/

Thursday, July 25, 2013

It is a painful part of our past that often goes unspoken. When exploring the trans-Atlantic slave trade, it is rare to discuss the role of Africans in the selling and trading of other Africans. Recently, Kpoto-Zounme Hakpon III, the king of Porto-Novo, a province of the West African country of Benin visited Hobson City, AL. Hakpon was the guest of a local family, the Cunninghams, of whom he is distantly related.

While there, Hakpon offered his apologies to his American brothers and sisters. According to the Anniston Star:

“I want to apologize for the role my ancestors played in the slave trade,” Hakpon said through his translator. “I knew one day I wanted to come to this land and ask forgiveness of my black brothers and sisters. I wanted to cross the ocean to see the land where my ancestors suffered.”

To a loud applause, Hakpon told the Hobson City residents he was the first king of his nation to ever visit the United States. He hopes to maintain a relationship between Porto-Novo and Hobson City.

After his speech, the king exchanged gifts with the mayor of Hobson City. The king answered a few questions from residents after his speech, gave a blessing to the town and said he felt a spiritual connection with Hobson City.

Many of the residents were impressed by his visit. “For him to come all this way and to be interested in us here in little Hobson City, that means a lot,” said Dennis McKinney, the pastor at New Hope Ministry Baptist Church

Is it time to have an open dialogue about the role of Africans in the slave trade?
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: African King Apologizes for Africa’s Role in Slavery

Postby XrayBaroness » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Definitely long past time to open a dialogue. I admire King Hapkon III, for his forthrightness. The slave trade never could have succeeded in the huge degree it did without the cooperation of Africans. Maybe this will lead to a way to get past the Atlantic barrier in ancestry research. My DNA says West Africa......and there the search ends.
XrayBaroness

Return to General Discussion