Was there a Census in Montserrat in 1900-1930s?

Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

Was there a Census in Montserrat in 1900-1930s?

Postby eadaoin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 am

I've posted on the Montserrat board several months ago, but I got no replies.

So I thought I'd go a bit more general - maybe someone out there knows.

- I'd like to know what dates were Census' taken ? ...

- Are there any records of Police on Montserrat? ...

I'd be very pleased to help anyone with Irish records, but I can't seem to get any info about Montserrat.

in hope!
Eadaoin
eadaoin

Re: Was there a Census in Montserrat in 1900-1930s?

Postby bimjim » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I have both Caribbeana and History of Antigua (which someone elsewhere suggested), but these books were both published before or about 1900, so would not contain a census per se. But if you could provide names I would be happy to look them up for you.

In Ireland I am looking for any Lynch (merchants) with kinsman connections to Jamaica or Barbados. I believe the same family is also in Antigua and Montserrat. The Irish National Library has an entry for a Michael Lynch with Caribbean kinsmen and commercial interests, but there's not much info in that record.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby eadaoin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm

hello bimjim, thanks for offering to help.

It looks as if great-uncle Thomas Gray probably went to Montserrat (or possibly elsewhere in the Leeward Islands) from Ireland as a policeman, in about 1899, aged 35.
I'm wondering how to find out more about his time in the Caribbean- censuses, police records etc. I have his RIC police record in Ireland up to his resignation in January 1899.
It would help if I knew, even, were there any Censuses on Montserrat, or other islands?

Is there anything specific you'd like me to search for on your Lynchs - I assume you've looked at the record you mentioned.

regards eadaoin
eadaoin

Postby bimjim » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I don't know if you were aware of what happened in Montserrat about 1995... their volcano erupted and covered both the airport on the east side and the entire capital of Plymouth on the west side with ash from pyroclastic flows. The capital was so deep in ash that it rose higher than most of the roofs and collapsed most of the roofs with its weight.

The Archives were in there... I was already in Canada (after 16 years "next door" in Antigua), but I heard that some of the staff tried to move as much as they could but were not 100% successful. I am still in Canada, but I still have connections there and I will try to ask around about records - thanks for the name, that will probably help.

Since Thomas Gray was not born there - and probably did not marry or die there - it's unlikely that his records on Montserrat will be in with the local records. It may be worth trying to focus instead on social records - newspapers, etc. - to try and flesh out his time there. Although I think the life of a policeman in those days would not have been very exciting or social, especially in a small island.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby eadaoin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I didn't know about the volcano (I'm sure I did at the time, but had forgotten). Thanks for offering to try anyway.
Newspapers - I've not an idea where I'd start!

regards eadaoin
eadaoin

Return to General Discussion