NOT SHARING ENOUGH

Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 pm

My guess is that most of the people on this list live elsewhere than the Caribbean. Ten years of research in Jamaica have collected a lot of information about a few ancestors, a little about a few more, but very little about most of my ancestors who were in Jamaica from 1823.

Its hard to share what you can't find.
Searching for: Saunders, Phillippo, St Aubyn, Stonehouse, Walford, Walton, James and Gifford worldwide.
Jim

Postby bimjim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Genealogy is a hard thing to get enthusiastic about, especially if your parents refused to speak of relatives or considered that kind of thing rude.

This resource is here for people to Post their info for themselves and wait for a direct response - it allows people to bypass all the old prejudices and hate.

To be fair, as an Administrator who registers new Users and checks all of the Posts every day I see connections across thousands of miles on avarege of once a week. I consider it to be a success, but the first poster is correct, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to family.

Pogo: (cartoon character from the past): " I have the seen the enemy, and he is us!!"
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 am

That is an old quote. I first read it in 1955!

I put my money where my mouth is and posted some of my research on the Phillippo family in Jamaica.
Searching for: Saunders, Phillippo, St Aubyn, Stonehouse, Walford, Walton, James and Gifford worldwide.
Jim

Re: NOT SHARING ENOUGH

Postby JudithL » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 am

I am doing all my family research from australia, and find it very hard to get information about Jamaica or the West Indies.
Have been told that the records from these areas is very poor.
Now I dont know if this is true or not, but finding the kind of information that I need is near impossible.
So maybe there is not that much information of interest to share.
JudithL

Postby carlton » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:44 am

May I suggest you find a LDS (latter Day Saints) family center near you, they have actually microfilmed most of the records from the caribbean including Jamaica. This place is a trophy find/ gold mine of data.
carlton

Postby bimjim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:06 pm

You should also know that the IGI (International Genealogical Index) is an on-line database created and updated by the Mormons. There are two common links which access the database, one to search by broad region, the other to search by specific country.

Search by broad region...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

Search by specific country...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... esults.asp
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion