2nd West Indian Regiment of Foot, Barbados 1854

Discussion related to Caribbean genealogy.
THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR LISTING SURNAMES!!

2nd West Indian Regiment of Foot, Barbados 1854

Postby ST AUBYN » Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Is there a site for the Barbados Museum or any relevant site for info on this regiment and officers in particular being stationed in Sierra Leone.
SEEKING INFO ON ST AUBYNS IN GUYANA,
BARBADOS AND JAMAICA
ST AUBYN

Postby bimjim » Sat May 12, 2007 6:25 pm

This took some ingenuity, but there are a couple of pages accessible through Google:

http://mcguinnessfamily.org/palmer-military.htm

"Assigned to the1st West India Regiment of Foot as a Captain, Colonel John Whyte, commander. This regiment and the 2nd West India were created on 24 April 1795. The soldiers were Black slaves! They had to serve for a set number of years and then gained their freedom. It was formed by assimilating the Malcolm's Black Rangers, St. Vincent's Black Rangers, and Black Carolina Corps. Eventually, there would be twelve West India Regiments, which unlike other native units, were on the permanent British establishment and roll of regiments."

and...

"From 1 February 1848 to 24 May 1849 Stationed in Africa (probably Sierra Leon or Gambia in West Africa)."

That page has some references to certain books you may want to look up.

Good luck!
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

2nd West Indian Regt

Postby ST AUBYN » Sun May 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the help - my great-grandfather was an Ensign in this regiment in 1852 and then Lieut from 1854. he served in Sierra Leone
in 1854 .

I will follow up on your tip but would like to know how to access
Caulfield's "100 years history of the 2nd Batallion West indian regiment.
Apparantly he was decorated but not much can be found.

Thanks for you help
SEEKING INFO ON ST AUBYNS IN GUYANA,
BARBADOS AND JAMAICA
ST AUBYN

Postby bimjim » Sun May 13, 2007 8:16 pm

First try your local Museums and Libraries, maybe also Army veterans Clubs/Associations, if you are in the UK.

Otherwise, enquire at your local Library about a cooperative effort (in North America, anyway) called ILL - Inter-Library Loan - and how to scan the catalogues of other libraries for what you are looking for. If you find what you are looking for elsewhere you can order the book to be sent to your Library (usually only Reference Libararies, where the books canot be taken out of the building) for a period of time. If there is a fee it is nominal (very little).

Check also the used-book vendors on the internet - Ex Libris (or the name is something like that) is one - whene you can browse for second hand and rare books.

Also search Google using the keywords - in this case Copy and Paste the following, exactly as is, from here to the Google search box...

+Caulfield +"100 years history" +"2nd Batallion West Indian Regiment"

The plus signs REQUIRE the word/phrase to be in the returned pages, and the quotes REQUIRE that the words in the quotes be in that order. If you get no returns, try modifying the words - Battalion, West India, etc.

There are any number of used/rare book sellers on the Net, and I suggest you open an account with PayPal (owned by eBay), as they have become the de facto recognised method of paying for something securely on the Net. Mine is tied to both my credit card and my bank account, and I have the option of drawing from either for a payment.

If you sell something using PayPal you can also build up a credit there, and you are free to move the funds to your bank account whenever you wish. PayPal uses an email address as the destination for funds - easy to do, and it's secure.

I'd say you'd have more luck looking in the UK for the title... try
http://www.ebay.co.uk
as well

Best of luck...
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion