YEARWOOD - Barbados or Trinidad

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

YEARWOOD - Barbados or Trinidad

Postby mwilliams » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 pm

I am looking for information on the following individual:

Vernon Aubrey Yearwood, b. 1896, came to United States: 10 May 1910 to NY, NY (Ellis Island), destination: Montclair, NJ

This is my great-grandfather. I have been able to find a lot of information on him upon his arrival to the US but am not sure where exactly he was born (Barbados or Trinidad) and have no record of any family in the West Indies i.e. parents, siblings, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

M
mwilliams

Re: YEARWOOD - Barbados or Trinidad

Postby Paul Yearwood » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 am

Hi, sorry for the late response but I have not been on this site for some time. I have found a record of a William Yearwood being granted a parcel of land in Virginia in 1650. The land was given to another in 1664 as it was abandoned.

The first record I have in Barbados of Yearwood's are a of a William Yearwood who died in Barbados in 1685. From his will we know that at the time of his death he had two sons over 21 and a grandson. He also had three children under 21.

It is possible that these two William Yearwood's are different people. It is also possible that the William Yearwood in Virginia was a young man from England who then went on to Barbados. The Yearwood's appear to have settled in Barbados first. They had large families and the offspring spread out all over the Caribbean and North and South America.

Many of the Yearwood's had small plantations and all of these plantations had black slaves who took the surname of their owners.

I am sorry but I do not have a record of Vernon Aubrey Yearwood on my tree. If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and do a search on Vernon Yearwood there is a record of a Vernon Yearwood born in Barbados in 1898. He moved to the US in 1910 and was shown at Montclair on the 1930 census with his wife Annie and children Vernon, Irvin, Margaret, Frank and Agnes. With a bit more research on this site you may be able to find out who Vernon's parents were.

Best wishes. Paul
Paul Yearwood

Return to Surnames Y