YEARWOOD - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

YEARWOOD - Barbados

Postby Paul Yearwood » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 am

My family went to Barbados in the 17th century. The earliest record I have in my family tree is a William Yearwood, planter, from St Lucy, who died in 1685.

On ancestry.co.uk there are other Yearwoods mentioned in wills in the 17th century as witnesess or in one case a Lt Col William Yearwood mentioned as pall bearer.

I am happy to share my Personal Ancestral File with anyone who is interested and this has a line going back to the William Yearwood above. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has researched the Yearwoods in Barbados and who may be able to add to that which I already have. Thank you.

Paul Yearwood
Paul Yearwood

Re: YEARWOOD - Barbados

Postby CEBFW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 pm

My great grandfather was Mathew Yearwood, originally from Barbados but who lived and taught in St. Vincent for most of his life. He was black. One of his daughters was born in 1893. Is this of interest?
CEBFW

Postby ladykaya » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm

I found that my Yearwoods hail from Barbados and migrated to Guyana. Does any one have a Gussy Yearwood (born Barbados) married Alice (from Guyana) they had a daughter, Lilian Yearwood.
ladykaya

Postby CEBFW » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:47 am

Paul, it could very well be that your ancestor had africans working for him and that they took on his name as was the case in these days. My great grandfather Mathew Yearwood was born approx 1853; he was a school teacher in St. Vincent, but as I have indicated before, he was born in Barbados. He was of African descent.
CEBFW

Postby bimjim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 pm

There is also a prominent Yearwood family in Antigua (light-skinned).
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Sealy Barbados » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 am

Hello Paul
I am seeking information about my great great grandmother Lucy Ann Yearwood who died in 1879 and it is believed she is buried in St Philip, Barbados. Does she appear on your family tree my any chance?
Regards
Carole
Sealy Barbados

Postby Paul Yearwood » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 am

Carole, apologies for such a late response. I have not been on this site for some time. I do not have a record of Lucy Yearwood.

You have probably already done this but if you go to the website http://www.familysearch.org and carry out a basic search on her name you will find details of her marriage to Frederick Adolphus Sealy and of her death in 1879. There may be other information there on her husbands family.

If you can link Lucy to her parents I would be grateful to hear as I may be able to tie her into the family tree that I have.

Best wishes. Paul
Paul Yearwood

Postby CEBFW » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 am

Thanks for offering to share info. Did your ancestors have any slaves? is there any info on blacks who were associated with your family while they were in Barbados?Thanks
CEBFW

Postby Paul Yearwood » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 am

My ancestors did have slaves. I am sorry to say that they are mentioned in many wills where they were left to relatives like other property. If you look at old planters wills almost all of them will mention slaves by name, but only the first name.

Researching white Yearwood's in Barbados is made easier by christening, marriage and death records and wills. Slaves generally did not have these records until the 19th century and so it may be impossible to trace ancestors before this unless you are lucky enough to find some slave records that help.

I have not looked at research on slaves and there may be some books and records out there that will help you. I guess the best you can hope for is to trace your family back to the mid 19th century from christening, marriages and deaths and then try and work out which Yearwood family they were with before that. Wills and slave records from those families are possibly the only hope of getting back any further.

Good luck.

Paul
Paul Yearwood

Postby CEBFW » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for your reply. Slavery was not fault and I am not into blaming anyone for it. But if you ever happen to find anything on the black Yearwoods I would appreciate hearing from you. I will do the same for you if I find a white Yearwood. Incidently my great grandfather Mathew Yearwood was among the first graduates of the only teacher's training college (Codrington College) in the West indies in the 19th century and I am very proud of him. Regards
CEBFW

Postby connie88 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 am

Hi Paul. My great- grandmother May Violet Yearwood still lives in St. Lucy on/near the land that was owned by her grandfather. he was a planter/plantation owner. I am actually going to write her tonight and get more information about the family history. My gut tells me that we related lol.. waaaaay down the line of course.
connie88

Postby Paul Yearwood » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Connie88 I do not have your grandmother on my family tree and so I cannot make a connection at the moment. As you say we are almost certainly related a long way down the line. If you can get your great grandparents and great grandparents details from your grandmother I may be able to tie them in. Best wishes. Paul
Paul Yearwood

Postby Ricky King » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Paul, I have been reading through the wills of several old St. Lucy families trying to find the maiden surnames of many of my female ancestors. I descend from several St. Lucy families such as Chandler's, Jordan's, Agard's, Leacock's, Rowes', Greaves and Poyer's .
One of the family names I am very interested in is Yearwood, mainly because Yearwood is one of the family names one can see as witnesses on the wills written by several of my ancestors which indicates some familiarity between these families and also because one of my third great grandfathers was named William Sandiford Yearwood Chandler, leading me to wonder if he was related to the Yearwood family. You may know that William Sandiford Yearwood was the actual name of at least four men from St. Lucy who lived between the years 1700 and 1816.
In the last two days I have looked at, at least 17 Yearwood wills, and I am in the process of weaving these old families back together. So my question to you is, How successful have you been in finding the maiden surnames of your female ancestors who were married to Yearwood's in the 17th and 18th centuries? And what is the branch of the Yearwood family that you descend from.

Best Regards
Ricky King

Postby Paul Yearwood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Ricky, I was interested in the wills you have managed to find mentioning Yearwoods as witnesses. I have seen a few wills where Yearwoods have been witnesses or executors. I would be interested in seeing others. Do you have copies you could send me?

It appears that it was a mans world back in Barbados and wives were not trusted or allowed to sign documents or act as executors. The wills I have seen have entrusted friends to be witnesses or executors rather than wives or other relatives.

I have five William Sandiford Yearwoods on my family tree born between 1700 and 1847.

I only have links to two Chandlers, Emeline Harding Chandler born 1842 and Amy Hart Chandler born 1872

I havent had a lot of success identifying the maiden names of female ancestors. Some I have found from marriage records and a few from wills. One from a newspaper article. I have around 50% of the wives maiden names.

I havent looked at it in detail but my impression is that surnames were often used as middle names. Children of a marriage sometimes appear to have been given their mothers maiden name as a middle name. Maybe in honour of the father in law. Not sure.

There are dozens of links in my family tree to other families, the main ones are families that will be well known to you in Barbados, Agard, Archer, Bryce, Carter, Fenty, Gilkes, Griffith, Hunt, Kellman, Kelly, Laycock, Leacock, Sandiford, Seale, Shannon, Walrond, Watson and Williams.

My branch of the Yearwoods is difficult to pin down. My direct line to William Yearwood who died in Barbados in 1685 is John Esmond Coleridge Yearwood (father) Archibald Coleridege Yearwood (Gfather) John Henry Hamble Leacock Yearwood, Dr. Hamble Leacock Yearwood, Dr. John Kelly Yearwood, Samuel Yearwood b 1735, Samuel Yearwood b 1705, Samuel Yearwood b 1665, William Yearwood d 1685. If you have copies of those wills I would love to see them. Best wishes. Paul
Paul Yearwood

Postby Ricky King » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Paul I sent you a private message let me know if you received it.
Ricky King

Return to Surnames Y