WEBLEY - Caribbean

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

WEBLEY - Caribbean

Postby siwebley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 am

For the past few years I have been conducting a world-wide one-name study of the Webley family name, It's origin is from over 1000 years ago in Herefordshire / Worcestershire (back to the original Angles tribe).

Whilst I do not appear to have any personal ancestors migrating to the Caribbean, I am aware of many Webley's who have done so.

I am also aware that some of these may have been slave owners and consequently either set up families in the region, or the Webley name may have been adopted by other families.

Either way, I am interested to find the details of individuals with the Webley family name in the Caribbean and would welcome the assistance of any members here.

Best regards, and many thanks!

Simon Webley
siwebley

Re: WEBLEY - Caribbean

Postby siwebley » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 am

Just an update to my previous post. I have managed to update my records from FamilySearch.org and discovered about 1000 people with the family name of Webley in Jamaica. This was really unexpected and delightful and whilst I doubt any are directly related as none of my branch travelled to the West Indies, my research covers any person of the Webley family name so any records I can find is a bonus. Whilst the FamilySearch.org data was fantastic, it mainly covered births and had very few recorded marriages and deaths which would help put families together. I am therefore requesting if anyone has information about on-line databases of Marriages and Deaths in Jamaica that can be accessed. I am also interested in how and when the Jamaican Webley's moved out to Florida, Washington, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Wisconsin and California. I have many records of the US Webley's but the problem is the lack of detailed family history to put the names into family groups. Many families themselves, after initiating contacts in Facebook, have little information to go on as it seems that individuals set out on their own when the opportunity arose but subsequently lost contact. I guess the only solution at the moment is to physically visit Jamaica and each US state to gather the information, so if anyone out there gets a lucky Powerball lottery ticket and feels generous, I would love a sabbatical to leave work and travel for the next 5 years tracking down the information. :roll: :lol:
siwebley

Re: WEBLEY - Caribbean

Postby SLevien » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I do have some Webley's on my tree. If you can give specific names it would help.

Sandra
SLevien

Return to Surnames W