WARDEN - Port of Spain & Arima, Trinidad, & Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

WARDEN - Port of Spain & Arima, Trinidad, & Barbados

Postby patval » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 pm

I am searching for any descendants of Alexander Warden b.1794 in Peterhead, Scotland. He was the son of John Warden and Ann Muirison.

Alexander was the eldest son and was a doctor. He sailed to Trinidad in 1819 where he met and married in 1826 Mary Britannia (surname unknown) and settled in Port of Spain and Arima. They had six children - John MacDonald b.1828, Alexander Gordon b.1830 (d.1830), Robert Mackworth b.1830, Alexander b.1832, Jessie Anna b.1834, George b.1825.

Alexander sadly drowned in 1836 leaving Mary Britannia to raise the children alone. Family letters show her struggle to bring the children up, she kept cows to sell milk and opened a school as she had been very well educated in her youth (she was of American nationality).

Of the children, we know the most about Robert Mackworth. He married:
1st Sara Cotton, in St Michael Barbados in 1857, and had two children Jessie Anna b.1858 and Honor Mary b.1860 (d.1860).
2nd Clara Frances Deane, in St Michael Barbados in 1865, with whom he had eight children: Mary, Emily, Frederick, Laura, Robert, Elliott, Cuthbert and Jessie.

Eldest daughter Jessie Anna married:
1st Mauritz Joseph Blank, in St Michael Barbados.
2nd Arthur Cleverly, in St Pancras London. no issue.

Laura married a John Lemuel Aleynder(Alexander?) Corbin and had a daughter named Edna.

We have a lot of information regarding the Scottish branch of the family, but would love to find any descendants of Alexander's family in the West Indies.

Many thanks for reading this

Kind regards
Patricia
patval

Re: WARDEN - Port of Spain & Arima, Trinidad, & Barbados

Postby macro » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Robert Mackworth Warden was my g-g-g- grandfather . His daughter Laura who married John Lemuel Corbin was my great-grandmother. I can remember her.She died in 1948. Her daughter Edna Beryl was my grandmother.John known as Lem was an administrator at an asylum in St. Michael Barbados. Laura who was married at 16 was left a widow at age 36. She was left with 8 children to raise ; Edna Beryl (1891); Iris (1895)Iris died in 1919 in the ifluenza epidemic. Hilda(1897); Hyacinth(1898); Doris (1899) Ralph (1901); Colin (1905); Harold(1909.Laura emigrated to New York and eventually brought all the children . My grandmother Beryl came on the same ship as my grandfather Edward Payne also from Barbados. I don't know whether or not they knew each other prior to the voyage . I found both their names on a ship's manifest from 1912.
I have been trying to find out information about Robert Mackworth Warden for years. thank you
macro

Postby patval » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am

Welcome to the Warden family Macro...

I am very excited to have at last made contact with members of our Warden family who went to the West Indies... I warn you though, I am a real family history 'nut' and you may regret having contacted me!!!!!!!!!

My husband Ian is your relation, he is descended from Robert Warden, Uncle to Robert Mackworth Warden..... I too have been searching for years, If you would like, please let me have your email address and I can send you other info regarding your Scottish family..... as a taster here is a letter from your ggg grandfather to Ians ggg grandfather:

Robert Mackworth Warden.
Named Robert after his uncle Robert Warden, and Mackworth after his father’s friend who was the son of Sir Digby Mackworth an English Baronet. This information has been taken from family letters from the West Indies.

Robert wrote a delightful little letter to his Uncle Robert on hearing of the death of Robert’s first wife Christina Davidson..... Tactful, I think not...

Trinidad 20th July 1847

My dear Uncle
So long a time has elapsed since my last letter that you must think I have forgotten you, you are quite mistaken if you are of this opinion. I was sorry to hear by your last letter of the death of your wife, however I suppose you will soon get another one, as men are not so unlucky as the ladies. I have got another place as a salesman, which place I am getting a better salary than the last. My employer is a very good hearted man, perhaps you may know the other partner who is in London, by name Andrew Mackintosh, the brother to the one that is here. I wish the next time you write me, you would send me your address. I was glad of the advice you gave me concerning young lads in your last letter, I have nothing more to say at present, except hoping that you will remember me to your sisters kindly

When you write address thus Robert Warden
at Messrs Andrew
& William Mackintosh
Trinidad
I remain
My dear Uncle
Your affectionate Nephew
Robert M Warden

Isn't that great... we have other letters too.. I have tried without success to find the Messrs Andrew & William Mackintosh.. I wonder do they still exist after all this time? incidentally, Robert did not delay in finding himself another wife, he married Rose Young Forbes, Ians ggggrandmother... and it is her we have to thank for a lot of the family memorabilia.

Once again this is really lovely to have contact with you.. I wait to hear from you Kindest regards Patricia.
ps we are in Nottinghamshire UK, I shall now go and absorb the info you have sent.
patval

Postby patval » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 am

Hi me again,

I have just looked up all I have for Laura Warden, I had discovered two journey's to America:

Laura Estelle Warden

Caribbean Births and Baptisms, 1590-1928
residence: Caribbean
parents: Robert Macrunet Warden, Clara Frances Dean

record title: Caribbean Births and Baptisms, 1590-1928
name: Laura Estelle Warden
baptism/christening date: 10 May 1873
baptism/christening place: SAINT MICHAEL,BARBADOES,CARIBBEAN
father's name: Robert Macrunet Warden
mother's name: Clara Frances Dean
indexing project (batch) number: C51359-5
system origin: Caribbean-ODM
source film number: 1157991
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse JOHN LEMUEL ALLEYNDER CORBIN
12 OCT 1890 Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean

Laura made two journeys via New York.
First 1910 with family,
Second 1911 on her own...

New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957. About Laura Corbin:
Name: Laura Corbin
Arrival Date: 7 Aug 1910
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Port of Departure: Barbados
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: English
Ship Name: Corrientes
Search Ship Database:
Search the Corrientes in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Barbados
Line: 10
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1529
Birth Location: Barbados
Birth Location Other: Bridgetown
Page Number: 145

------------------------------------------------------
New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957. About Laura Corbin
Name: Laura Corbin
Arrival Date: 24 Apr 1911
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Port of Departure: Barbados
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: West Indian (Native American)
Ship Name: Clement
Search Ship Database:
Search the Clement in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Barbados
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1665
Birth Location: Barbados
Page Number: 204

Bye
Patricia.
patval

Postby patval » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 am

Hello Ricky,
:D

How lovely to find other family, I have been searching for a number of years for descendants of Alexander Warden and Mary Britannia (?) …

The easiest to find of their children was Robert Mackworth Warden who married Clara Francis Deane, yes, originally I did have eight children for Robert and Clara but recently I discovered that there were in fact eleven children in all, namely…Mary 1866, Emily ’67, Frederick ‘71, Laura ’73, Robert ’76, Elliot ’78, Walter ’79, George ’81, Cuthbert ‘84 – 85, Jessie ’86 and finally a second Cuthbert 1887 -1911… making eleven children in all…

I have recently been in touch with Madeline, she descended from Laura, and her grandmother was Edna Beryl. She very kindly gave me access to her Ancestry tree.

You say you have contact with family of Walter that sounds exciting, I would be most interested in learning more…at present I am trying to find detail about George ’81… The census in Philadelphia has two Georges, same area, both highly likely candidates so much so I am beginning to believe that George was registered twice in the Census of 1910…

I am also eager to learn more of Robert Mackworths siblings too…… not easy as the records at that time were not very well kept, I have had to rely on family letters etc….

Madeline has kindly given me copy of some photographs, two of which you have shown, lovely photos, it is so nice to put faces to names…

I have lots of information regarding the Scottish Wardens if you would like to share..

Kind regards Patricia
patval

Return to Surnames W