WILKIN - Montserrat

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

WILKIN - Montserrat

Postby Boopy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I am also looking for relatives of the Wilkin family. My great, great grandfather, Joseph Emrey (aka Canon Joe), married Mary Wilkin bef 1898, possibly at St. Paul's Church on Nevis. I know that they lived on Nevis, Antigua, , Carriacou and St. Kitts from 1890 until at least 1920.

From notes written by my grandmother and great-grandmother, I believe that Mary Wilkin had a brother, John (buried at St. George's church on Nevis) and a sister, Blanche Rose "Bam" Wilkin (also buried at St. George's). Bam never married and was like a mother to my grandmother. Our family notes also state that Burchall Tucker Wilkin was Mary's mother and is buried at St. John's Church and Rectory at Fig Tree on Nevis.

I have read that Sarah Evelina Tucker had a little sister named Burchall, but have not been able to find more information about her. Also, I have no leads on which Wilkin Burchall Tucker would have married.

If anyone has potential information, I would love to hear it!

Also, for anyone who is interested, I have a copy of "Recollections of Eva Wilkin -- from interviews with Barbara Cox in 1988" that may be of interest to other Wilkin family members. I know that Eva Wilkin was a cousin of my great grandmothers although I am unsure of the exact connection.
Boopy

Re: WILKIN -Montserrat

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm

William Henry WILKIN b.1810 came from England in 1835 and in 1851 married Sarah Evelina Tucker who was born in 1832 in Antigua. William died in 1883 and Sarah in 1904...both in Montserrat. William's family originally came from Middlesborough in England. It is believed that William may have had a previous wife to Emily.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ocarroll/wilkin.html
DOC

Re: WILKIN - Montserrat

Postby HansM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:12 pm

There is a record of a marriage in Montserrat on 17th Feb 1859 between John Richard Wilkin (of Nevis) and Mrs Burchall Vorch (widow). The witnesses were George Bird and Chas. H. Harmsworth. John Richard and Burchall's children included a son, Harry Hilton Wilkin, baptised 15th Jan 1864.
HansM

Re: WILKIN - Montserrat

Postby HansM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I am trying to trace a Dyer / Wilkin marriage - the parents of Emily Wilkin Dyer, who was born circa 1874. Emily's father was William Leggett Dyer, but I have not been able to find her birth record showing her mother's name, the record of her parents' marriage, or a record of her mother's death (which I think would have been prior to 1883, when there is another marriage recorded for William Leggett). On Emily's marriage record in 1898, Wm. H. Wilkin is listed as one of the witnesses. I would be grateful for any help in identifying Emily's mother.
HansM

Return to Surnames W