BURKE, ASHBY, VALVERDE - Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BURKE, ASHBY, VALVERDE - Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada

Postby j.garner » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 am

My grandmother was Alice Keeling Burke and was born in 1893 in Barbados (or perhaps Trinidad).

Alice's mothers maiden name was Ashby and we think her mother was one of the daughters of William Armstrong Ashby and Rebecca Keeling Valverde.

We would like to get information about the daughters of William Ashby and Rebecca and would like to know if any of them married John Burke (we think he came from Grenada)
j.garner

Re: BURKE, ASHBY, VALVERDE - Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada

Postby bajanlynda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

My mother in law was born Dorothy Francis Keeling Pemberton In Trinidad. Her father was a priest in Trinidad and her mother was Sarah Inez Jellarett Seon, they married in Barbados but lived in Trinidad. Sarah's mother was Amelia Jane Jellarett married Isaac Valverde Seon. Isaac has Valverde and Keeling in his ancestors, on whom I am now trying to trace more information.
bajanlynda

Postby Brooklyn Born » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Do you have dates for Isaac Valverde Seon? Have Valverde and Keeling ancestry. So have some family tree information.
Brooklyn Born

Postby bajanlynda » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:34 am

Do not have dates for Isaac Valverde Seon but going to visit someone in coming weeks who has a 'family tree' and will see what information she has. what names are in your tree? I am having trouble finding any information on Isaac's wife - Amelia Jane Jellerett
bajanlynda

Postby Brooklyn Born » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:05 pm

If my notes are correct, William Seon married Mary Louisa Keeling Valverde (1812). Their children were Henry Sharpe Seon (1837) and Louisa Keeling Seon (1884). I assume Isaac was in that line.
Brooklyn Born

Postby bimjim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:13 pm

From the partial IGI match list of children to Isaac Seon and his (unknown name) wife "Jelerette" in my own database it looks like I should "make the assumption", adjust his name to Isaac Valverde Seon, and fill out the rest of the names properly.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bajanlynda » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Isaac valverde Seon parents - William Seon and Mary Valverde. Mary Valverde her parents Joseph Valverde and Mary Keeling.

Isaac Valverde Seon married Amelia Jane Jellarett on 13 June 1865 St Michael, I believe St Mary's Church but still to be confirmed. William Seon left Isaac a house in Fontabelle in his will.

In William's will he mentions - sons Isaac Valverde, Thomas Young, Henry Sharpe and daus Jane Eliza to whom he leaves a house in Cheapside. He also mentions niece Maria Keeling Valverde. His will was proved in 1881.

I have 12 names who are supposed to be children of Isaac Valverde Seon, these are to be confirmed ... I have dates for 7. Hoping to find Isaac's will.
bajanlynda

Postby bajanlynda » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:01 pm

There is also a story that William Seon may have been married twice, but I have found no record of 2 marriages. I assume that since no wife is mentioned in his will she had predeceased him.
bajanlynda

Postby bimjim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Lynda, I did some work in the IGI this morning and got dates (and citations) for 8 of the children. The others may belong to someone else, and will take a bit more time but i am leaving them where I can find them!!

1. Mary Louisa Seon, c. 10 Jan 1866, Barbados
2. Maria Keeling Valverde [Smitten] Seon, c. 19 Nov 1866, Barbados
3. Emma Elizabeth Josephene Seon, c. 09 Sep 1868, Barbados
4. Anne Fraser Mcrae [Barrow] Seon, c. 05 Jan 1873, Barbados
5. Millicent Eliza Gertrude [Wiles] Seon, c. 20 Jan 1875, Barbados
6. Lilian Seon, c. 05 May 1878, Barbados
7. Sarah Inez Jellaret Seon, c. 24 May 1882, Barbados
8. Helena Rosalind Bowen Seon, c. 24 Feb 1884, Barbados

--

9. Saisie [Pemberton] Seon
10. Charles Seon
11. Daisy [Williams] Seon

--

There are quite a few Keelings in "Genealogies of Barbados Families", and I will get to logging those later today.

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Robert Cooper Ashby (1776?-1839) produced 10 children with Mary Ann who adopted his surname. The first child she baptized (no father mentioned) she is described as Mary Ann, Mulatto Slave of Robert Cooper Ashby.

I reckon he was their father because of oral family tradition ... my aunt could name each one and who they married passed on to her by her grandmother ... and RCA's will names Mary Ann Ashby, a woman of colour and her 10 children in his will as inheriting Burke's Plantation (310 acres, Mill wall still standing where Talma's live at Atlantic Shores) and Britton's Plantation.

He also left other bequests to another woman of colour, Elizabeth Brewster and her son.

He manumitted some slaves suggesting he may have had relations with other women of colour.

Suckey Ann was one I discovered through Andrea Ramsey who wrote an article in the Journal of the BMHS.

Another was the ancestor of Andrea Stuart who recently wrote a book called "Sugar in the Blood".

I am descended from William Armstrong Ashby who married Rebecca Keiling Valverde through their son Andrew Alexander Ashby.

Besides William Armstrong, one of his siblings (I reckon Caroline Keysar Ashby) married a Valverde, Joseph Keiling Valverde on 14th June 1842 in Crist Church.

I have not confirmed but I have in my records a brother, John George Ashby marrying a Seon but don't know the Christian name.

My records also have a sister, Alice Christian Ashby marrying a Seon but I don't think this is right as I have found an Alice Christian Ashby burial.

William Armstrong's children were as far as I can tell as follows:

Anna Maria married John Ashby Bentham
Rebecca Josephine married Charles Augustus Mapp
Wilhelmina Lindsay
Estelle Geraldine
William Robert Cooper married Estelle Dummet and subsequently Gertrude Husbands
Andrew Alexander married Annie Beatrice Bentham, my grandmother ...... cannot find what happened to Alexander, family claims he went to Panama!!
Millicent Ashby married a Burke ... don't know the Christian Name
Julia Elizabeth Ashby

William Armstrong was the first lighthouse keeper at South Point which is built on lands acquired by the crown from the 10 owners of Burkes c. 1851.

Bentham's and Ashby's were cousins from early as were Seon's and Valverde's.

I may have errors in the above ... please correct and add but at the moment this is my state of knowledge for those generations.

My aunt told me that there is Dewhurst from Trinidad in the mix as well and that family produced a Test cricketer who played in if not the first official WI test then a pretty early one.

Earliest Ashby I can find in Barbados was George. His will was 1671.

He was a Quaker as was his son William who was put in stocks for 3 hours for working on Christmas Day (a Holy Day) building a wall in a Quaker Burial Ground close to St. Philip's Church and then imprisoned and fined ..... check Besse on "The sufferings of the Quakers".

Most early Bajans were Quakers after 1648 either leaving England to escape persecution or being "Barbadosed".
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:29 pm

I have a number of ASHBY in my database, but from what I can see they are all in the UK.

I also have 10 VALVERDE and 39 SEON, which intersect at least once, at Valverde, Louisa Keeling Valverde, father Isaac Valverde, mother Louisa Keeling, husband William Seon, children Louisa Keeling [Grell] Seon, Henry Seon, Isaac Seon, Jane Elizabeth Seon, Marie Stewart Seon, Anne Seon, Thomas Young Seon, William Challenor Seon and Daniel Seon.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:03 am

I recall an "Auntie Nen" Grell and I think a sister who were friendly with my Grandmother and I often met at her house when I was a boy.

That would probably be late 50's early 60's.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:08 am

I suspect "Auntie Nen" was her nickname but her full name was Louise Ananet Munier Grell who died in 1966 at the age of 96, a spinster.
JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:33 am

I have a Louisa Keiling Grell who died in 1934 and is buried at Westbury Cemetery, age 90, probably her mother and the Louisa Keiling [Grell] Seon referred to above. That makes her birth in 1844. Her place of birth is given as Barbados.

I am going to guess at this stage that Louisa Keiling Seon married Anthony Andrew Grell and produced

Louise Amante Meonier Grell - buried 1966
Sasie Antoinette Ranken Grell - buried 1915
Marie Elizabeth Agnese Macrae Grell
Thomas Anthony Ellis Grell
William Gabriel Allen Grell - buried 1912

There is a Retired Medical Practitioner, Jesse Mitchinson Potter Grell born in Dominica who is buried at Westbury Cemetery in 1952 at the age of 71 who may be a cousin.

Also a Charles Warwick Grell buried at Westbury in 1901 and listed as an Engineer, born in St. Lucia.
JohnK

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:39 am

I have...
- Louise Amante Meonier Grell
Birth 1870 Barbados
Christened 26 May 1870 Barbados
Died 1966 Barbados
Father Anthony Andrew Grell, b.1843, d.1893 or 1898
Mother Louisa Keeling [Grell] Seon, b.1844, d.1934

Her siblings were...

1. Thomas Anthony Ellis Grell, b. 1866, d.1908
2. George Philip Seon Grell, b. 1868, d.1927
3. Sasie Antoinette Ranken Grell, b.18 Sep 1872, Barbados, d.1915 or 1916
4. William Gabriel Allen Hilary Grell, b.1876, Barbados, d.1912, Died of malaria
5. Marie Elizabeth Agnes Macrae [Cummins] Grell, b. 02 Oct 1874, Barbados, d.01 Dec 1945
6. Julian Victor Davis Grell, b.1878, d.1951 or 1954
7. Jesse Mitchinson Potter Grell, b.1880, d.1952
8. Harold Owen Grell, b.1889, d.1954
9. Amy Keeling [Lynch] Grell, b.30 May 1880 (or in 1882), d.05 Jan 1961, Barbados, West Indies

Amy Keeling [Lynch] Grell was my great aunt, married to Judge Percy Algernon Lynch, b.30 May 1880, Barbados, West Indies, d.13 Oct 1955 (or in 1960), Barbados, West Indies, and who was the mother of Joan Paula Louise [Jones] Lynch, b.02 May 1916, d.1980 - and Joan was the mother of Caribbean champion jockeys Chally and Jono Jones.
bimjim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Surnames V