THOMAS - Jamaica, Kilmarnock

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

THOMAS - Jamaica, Kilmarnock

Postby jray » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi - Very new to this (!) Looking for any information about the THOMAS family from KILMARNOCK, please. My grandmother Albertha (nee DALEY) married James ("Old T") THOMAS between 1910-1930s. Albertha died July 2006 and James died 1940s/50s I think. (Not much info to go on yet unfortunately. Awaiting info from Uncle).

Also any info on BURNETT (Mocho*, St Elizabeth), BRAE (Mocho*, St Elizabeth) and DALEY (Kilmarnock) would be appreciated, thanks. (Or perhaps someone could tell me how to get started, please?)

Thanks in advance

(* may have changed its name to Louisville/Lewisville?)
Last edited by jray on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jray

Kilmarnock District - St. Elizabeth

Postby Adaleylewisevans » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi JRAY:
I just sent you a private message, but being new to this too, i'm not sure if you will recieve this.
I was stating that my Mother's side is from Kilmarnock, where she was born and raised. Sa Bertha (Albertha Daley) was my mother's aunt. She was the sister of her dad, Clarence Daley. My mom clearly remembers Ol' T, he died when she was a teenager then. So this definitely must be the same "Sa Bertha" we're talking about. I remember seeing her when my grandma died back in '96. She had the most striking features, beatiful, with hardly a wrinkle, and would never leave her house wearing the absolute best, not to mention her walking stick. She looks just like my Aunt Cindy (or my aunt resembles her ), my mom's sister. My grandmother was "Sa-Sissy", married to Clarence.

So we MUST be family. Hit me back when you can (via reply or private message).

A.D.L.E. :idea:
Adaleylewisevans

Postby jray » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:00 am

Hi A.D.L.E!

Wow, this is getting exciting! I haven't been able to doublecheck all the details with Mum yet, but from the little that I remember, we must be related somewhere along the line - I definitely recall hearing Mum and Uncle refer to Grannie as "Sa Bertha".

Mum said that there was a Vivian who used to drive a bus. I thought it was my Mum's brother, Vivian, but apparently he doesn't drive, so maybe it's a Vivian on the Daley/Thomas side? Uncle James (son) used to be a busdriver too before he retired. And yes, Grannie Bertha had really smooth skin - she always looked younger than her actual age. I remember that when I was little. Red Hill also rang a bell - when we were out there (decades ago!) we had to walk to a church in Red Hill. We were very young and I remember it being a really long journey! (Do you know if it's still there, and what it's called?) I know that they were members of the Moravian church, but I don't know which branch.

I'm trying to find out what I can about the Daley/Thomas side of the family. (Is it Daly or Daley? Mum said that Grannie Bertha's maiden name was Dal(e)y, and that she later married a Dal(e)y, but I'm not sure which spelling is correct). My Dad's name was Nathaniel (aka 'Kingy') who sadly passed away in '93. I've tried various forums to research Mum's side (Brae/Bernett) and Dad's side (Thomas/Daley). There doesn't seem to be much about Mum's side at all - not even the area she grew up in (Mocho District nr New Market). I'm waiting to hear from Uncle James, but if you can add any more info I'd be really grateful.

Really look forward to hearing from you when you get the chance.

God bless
Jray
jray

Update

Postby jray » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:38 am

I've recently been told that "Old T" Thomas (thought his name was James, but possibly not!) had a brother called JOSIAH.
jray

Postby Adaleylewisevans » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:35 am

Hey Jray!
Yes this is exciting indeed! I havent been able to ask my mom for more details, but the time of my reply she did want to know where you're located and who your mom is. I'm quite sure that they know each other. My mom goes by the nick-name of Bloomie, the daughter of Estella (Cissy) & Clarence Daley. They used to live in the "pink" house up top.
I think the Moravian church you're talking about is adjacent to the Kilmarnock All age school, in Maranga. These are across the road from the "shop" that has a "bamboo lawn" next to it where they keep functions.
The correct spelling is "Daley", originating from Scottish traders that moved to Jamaica for a better life and for warmer weather.

Ring any bells? :roll:
I await your reply.
A.D.L.E.
Adaleylewisevans

Postby jray » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:29 am

Hello A.D.L.E

Great to hear from you again. Have sent you a PM.

Regards
Jray
:D
jray

Return to Surnames T