SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Postby Sivam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 am

Pauline, my ancestor was Edward Harwood born 1824 another son of Alice and william. :D
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 am

Sivam, I have info on Elizabeth, Catherine, John, and James (b.1830) my direct g.g.grandfather and a few bits on the others too....do you know of anyone researching Catherine, as she has a wonderful story to tell which changed my views on how to believe certificates and what info is given on census etc can see that Edward and brothers were at the same address as her in 1851 (she was not married then as stated). James is still at home in 1851.
Alice nee Senior died 7 March 1881 at the grand age of 91 years!!
Are we allowed to stray from direct Senior information?
Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Pauline, it sounds as though you have some interesting information. Edward was my gggrandfather and father of Alice Charlotte Harwood who married my gggrandfather Justus Hobbs. They moved to New Zealand where unfortunately she died very young leaving young children (he remarried). Not sure whether we can deviate fom our Senior link but think seeing it is all from the Senior line it should be ok. This is such a great site, hope we can keep helping each other with information, great information thankyou Delabastide. :D
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:28 am

Sivam, yes it is a brilliant site, I am so pleased that I found it. James son of Alice nee Senior brother to your Edward married Eliza Maria Friar 4th October 1851 in Charlton Kent, these moved to Swansea South Wales along with his brother John and his wife as bricklayers, these were sent by their businessman Brother in Law John Lines who was the husband of older sister Elizabeth. Edward in 1851 was in the same household as sister Catherine along with her 2 children stating she was married, but in fact these were illigitmate children to her sisters husband John Lines, had real fun finding this information (will etc). James and John in Swansea at one time had her younger child with them namely Septimus Lines Harwood, giving his true parentage both names and addresses of parents when he was 13 years old where they baptised him.....Wonderful thing is, she later marrried a Surgeon (probably through John) upgraded her father to Gentleman, and in turn, their daughter went on the marry a son of 'Clerk of Holy Orders'......I wonder if they have ever done their family history? By the way on the birth certificates of her children, she used her brothers William and John as the fathers to the children giving her maiden name as formerly Lines......
Thanks for listening Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 am

Pauline, what an interesting family story and how exciting finding all that information, I'm still delving but sometimes information pops up unexpectedly doesn't it. Just really enjoying this site as everyone is so helpful, always interested in any other information thanks, Sivam.
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 am

Sivam, yes great site.....I found this information via a gentleman researching the 'Lines' surname who married Elizabeth Harwood (Catherine's sister) dau of Alice nee Senior and William Harwood.....at the time we could not believe it, but with a lot of certificates and research we found all the information. I have no idea why Catherine's son Septimus Lines Harwood was with my g.g.grandfather and his brother in Swansea Wales, must have been sent there out of the way for his mothers marriage!! Tried to find information on Alice Senior West Indies and we have found connections through this medium.
Unsure how much of the Harwood info we can share on this site, does anyone know, would not like to upset anyone.
Thanks Pauline
Pauline

Postby bimjim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:02 pm

From the Admin...

Feel free to share whatever you like... the fact is, the more you share the more there will be catalogued in the search engines for others to find you - and then share their connections and information, expanding your tree in directions you may never have thought of.

If you want to share private info (and every family has 'em!) then feel free to use the PM Private Message feature as a direct message so someone else.

Best,

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Pauline » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks very much Jim, really appreciated.......if I wanted to send just to Sivam with all the info how do I do it, will share here of course too.
regards Pauline
Pauline

Postby bimjim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

The simplest way to send a PM Private Message is to go to a Post BY THE PERSON YOU WANT TO SEND IT TO, and to the right of THAT Post look for this icon... Image

Click on that image, and you will get to a form already primed with the destination address. Just fill in the Subject and text (you can also attach documents), then click on the Submit button and you are done.

HTH

Best, Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Sivam » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Jim, you're amazing and the way we receive notification from you is so helpful. Look forward to more from Pauline.......Sivam :D
Sivam

Postby bimjim » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:18 am

All part of the service... my satisfaction comes from seeing all the connections made across hundreds of years and thousands of miles.

Happy trails!!

Best wishes, Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Pauline » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 am

Yes, thanks Jim for allowing us from all parts of the world to find connections!!

Sivam I am unsure which information you have and what you need re Harwoods, let me know and we can exchange information...

thanks Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:55 am

Pauline you're a treasure, I'll sort through my collected information and get back to you, I have quite a bit re. Censuses etc but certainly not interesting family stories like yours! :lol:
Sivam

Postby Pauline » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Sivam, I was given information via another person researching this family, that Edward Harwood died Greenwich 1865 is this your Edward or another one? Info I have does not seem to add up, although an Alice Charlotte bap St Pauls Deptford 28-11-1852, father Edward mother Susan Harriet, Creek Road, Blacksmith......is mentioned along with Catherine 1861 and Emma 1863

The main ones I have been researching is the 'Wonderful Catherine' whose story is really unbelievable, must have been some woman in her time, John Lines her sisters husband and the father of her 3 children, was a wealthy man who lived in Holland Terrace Kensington a Brickmaker thus so many bricklayers in the family!!! Catherine did go on to have another daughter a legitimate one this time on 6 Sept 1867 Catherine Lavinia, father Henry James Horton, mother Catherine Horton, late Harwood formerly Harwood......on her marriage 20 Aug 1864 he listed as a bachelor her a spinster, occupation Surgeon, father Fitzwilliam Patrick Horton dead, and her father was William Henry Harwood a Gentleman. Must give this too.....marriage 28 Dec 1892 Catherine Horton married Arnold Leigh Pemberton, Civil Service, father Charles Leigh Pemberton, Clerk in Holy Orders, her father was already deceased and a Doctor of Medicine.......(have these certificates)

Julia pops up in the burials of her parents, she was also a witness in the marriage of John's daughter Alice (another Alice) according to the info I have Julia had children but was never married.
James of course is my gggrandfather as I stated was sent to Swansea South Wales with his brother John who was the foreman of the bricklayers and lived just doors away from each other, must have been difficult for them in the 1850's in a country where the main language was welsh and they of Kent. James and Eliza Maria's son John born 18th June 1861 my ggrandfather was very elusive to say the least, he had two children one being my grandmother Mabel Harwood and a son Thomas James Harwood....John was a mariner and left his wife and removed to Cardiff to live, but eventually in his 70's or older he ended up in Australia and died there....Some stages he claimed to be a Master Mariner,but not listed on Lloyds Register, but I do have him on a ships census as Master. Good to get back to doing some family research again, as I have stopped for quite a while.

Sorry once I start its difficult to stop.....if you want scans or anything let me know will send them direct.
regards Pauline
Pauline

Postby Sivam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:48 am

Pauline really enjoying your feedback. I'm sure that's not our Edward as he is with his wife Susan in 1871 census. He married Susan Harriet Frost in 1851, her father William is a Queen's Marshalman (how exciting!) And William his father is a gentleman, what I wonder made him a gentleman, have you any idea? Was it because he was helped by his other sons (Edward was always a blacksmith). I do wonder if Alice Charlotte Harwood went to N.Z. because her parents had both died. I will check if I have more information on her marriage and immigration.
Sivam

PreviousNext

Return to Surnames S