STEWART FAMILY - Rural Hill, Portland, Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

STEWART FAMILY - Rural Hill, Portland, Jamaica

Postby Annette » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:25 am

STEWART, Jamaica (Rural Hill, Long Beach, Portland)

My name is Annette and I and would appreciate any information on the Stewart family that lived in Rural Hill, pre and post 1940's. (As far as I know surname spelt as above or it may spelt as STUART.)

Do any family members still live in Rural Hill or other parts of Jamaica or travelled to and lived in England or other countries? In particular if anyone knows the wheareabouts of two brothers by name of Allan & Cleveland Stewart, whom I understand may have come to England around 1960/61. Apparently, one or both paid my late mother (Laura Ann Willis) airfare to England- she arrived on 19 April 1961.

Thanks

Annette
Annette

Re: STEWART FAMILY - Rural Hill, Portland, Jamaica

Postby Annette » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Hello Laura

Thanks for your response to my enquiry. I will come back to you directly with the limited information I have so that we can check if there is a family connection or not. Once again I very much appreciate your response.

Annette
Annette

Postby dorrmckenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't know if there is a connection here, but my grand aunt Janet Thompson b. 1894 from Rural Hill married a Edward Stewart b. 1894. I don't know how many children she had, but I picked up three, with only one by the name of George James Stewart a twin b. 1918. George James Stewart has a daughter ( lovingly called Sweetie) with a woman/wife known as Mary Irish. Both mother and daughter left for England.

I also have two first cousins one in US and one in England whose mom named Persha Stewart from Portland. Don't know much about Persha, she died a few years ago. I hope there is something useful in this information.

Doritt
McKenzie
dorrmckenzie

Postby Annette » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello Doritt

Thanks for sharing your family history with me. There could be a possibility of a family connection being -Rural Hill. Alas! I do not know the names of Allan & Cleveland (aka possibly known as Sandy) parents, hence my reason for joining this site.

Back in '74/'75 my Grandmother Julette Hamilton (nee Nelson) liked to travel between St Thomas (where she lived) and Portland . I recall her and me spending a day & night with relatives of Allan Stewart in Rural Hill area. Alas! I do not remember their names and these days due to her age my Grandmother doesn't remember the visit.

Regarding the family names you mentioned I will look into. Would very much appreciate if you can obtain any further information.

Many thanks.

Annette
Annette

Postby dorrmckenzie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Will do Annette, I will ask my 91 yr old aunt in Florida for further info. She gets a bit testy at times, so I'll have to wait for the right moment. Talk with you later.

Doritt
dorrmckenzie

Postby Ashes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 am

Annette I don't know if you are related to the Stewarts in Grenada and Trinidad I know that they came from Grenada and that I do have relations there with whom I hope to correspond please investigate if your side started in Scotland, and Grenada as well. My brothers and sisters and a number of my cousins are also in England some in Birmingham and other areas The earliest Stewart I have is Duncan who lived in the parish of St Andrews Grenada in 1879 if you are related I have a lot of information for you.
Ashes

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Hello Ashes!

Thanks so much for your reply...At this time the information I have is very limited. But it's good to get replies from different people including you and I am very much appreciative. All I have for now is that Allan (and possibly Cleveland) Stewart lived in Rural Hill. I understand that Allan was in definitely in England before 1961 I have a relative visiting Jamaica next month but I don't know if she will get a chance to get any info for me due to her intended short stay. But in the meantime I would appreciate you sharing the info on your family links to Brum! Cool if you want to send it via PM.

Annette
Annette

Postby Ashes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:13 am

Annette My fathers name is Duncan Stewart .I have five brothers and three sisters two of my sisters are in Birmingham England and three brothers are also there. one is in Texus USA and a sister is in Alabama USA I am in Markham Ontario in Canada.If you can verify that we are related and you will only be able to do this if you can find a link of your Stewart to either Scotland, or Grenada .I will try to see if Portland in Jamaica will show up in my research.If the relative who is going to Jamaica can investigate in the achives there maybe she will find something.I will continue to read your posts and maybe we will come up with some duplication and then a link.
Ashes

Postby Annette » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I may have a lead on a Cleveland Stewart - residing in London but waiting for more information. Has anyone that has previously responded to my posts got any updates! Much appreciated if you can let me know.

Annette
Annette

Postby gentlemanwest » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Annette and Laura,

I have tried to post a couple times so sorry if it duplicates. I spoke to my dad and he gave me some information he is Richard William Stewart (aka William). My Grandfather name was actually Walcus although my dad carries the middle name William who was his uncle who died before 1945. It sounds as if you are talking about my dad's brothers! Allan lives in Brixton and Cleveland went to Canada, sorry I got a mixed up in some earlier posts Cleveland lived in Birmingham for a little while. Sandy is not a aka he is another brother who died recently and he lived in Stamford Hill (London).

Kind Regards
Wesley Richard Stewart
gentlemanwest

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Wesley

Thanks so much for the information you have provided, which sounds really encouraging. Although, I am a bit gutted to hear that Sandy passed away recently, since I know the Stamford Hill area well - as previously worked there and often pass the area via bus.

Is your Dad in touch with Allan & Cleveland? I note you state locations where they live now but does he correspond/communicate with either of them still?

Just so you are aware my Mum - Laura passed away a decade ago. My late mum was looked after by her Aunt Clarice Appleton (nee Nelson) but her mother my Grandmother is Julette Willis and continues to reside in Jamaica but I don't have any direct contact with her, as such.

I am curious to know if, Cleveland know's of a Josephine - by any chance (I think she might have been my mother's half sister...but I can't be sure). Josephine at one (or probably still does) lived in Canada but we lost touch with her many years before my mother's passing. Josephine's mother whom I think was a woman we referred to as Cousin Milly lived in Harlesden, London. I know Canada is a big place but you never know!

It is very hard trying to recollect hazy memories from so long ago but a joy when people do actually remember names and faces to help you fill in the gaps of your life, so any further information you can provide is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Annette
Annette

Postby gentlemanwest » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Annette,

My dad isn't in contact with Cleveland and said that he would be a very old man if he is still alive. I'm sure he can get in touch with Allan though! I was going to ask a few people with the surname Stewart on Facebook in Canada if they could provide any information.

Kind Regards

Wes
gentlemanwest

Postby Annette » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 am

Am still interested in information in locating Alan and Cleveland Stewart as per my original post dated 3 January 2010.

Thanks.

Annette
Annette

Postby Annette » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:54 am

Wes, very much appreciate if you can get in touch with more information about your family.
Thanks
Annette
Annette

Return to Surnames S