SMITH - family of Rev John SMITH - Grand Cayman

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

SMITH - family of Rev John SMITH - Grand Cayman

Postby robalexander » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:32 am

Seeking any information on the family of Scots missionary Rev John SMITH who married Charlotte Walls WEBSTER c. 1871. Their children were mostly born on Grand Cayman:
- John SMITH born c. 1871 Grand Cayman
- Charlotte Matilda SMITH born c. 1875 Grand Cayman
- George SMITH born c. 1876 Grand Cayman, may have become a doctor
- Agnes Marian SMITH born c. 1878 Grand Cayman
- Alexander G SMITH born c. 1881 Grand Cayman
- Isabel C SMITH born c. 1883 Grand Cayman
- Matthew B SMITH born c. 1885 Paisley, Scotland
robalexander

Research on missionaries

Postby Margaret » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:08 am

Although I do not have any information on Rev. Smith or his family, I would like to offer a few tips which I gathered through my own experience doing research on missionaries. What church was Rev. Smith affiliated with? Often churches have a missionary organization or society that supports the work of the particular church. You may want to find out if Rev. Smith's church/missionary society has published records of its missions. In some churches, missionaries were asked to write about their missionary experiences through letters to their society. You can look for these records in university libraries (check google). (If you don't have direct access to the libraries, you may want to hire a student or researcher to do the research for you.) You may also want to check the local newspapers in Grand Cayman (for the time period that Rev. Smith lived and worked) and see if you can find his sermons, notes on his work/life/family, obituaries, etc. I found newspapers to be a very useful resource.
I wish you all the best in your search!

Margaret
Margaret

Return to Surnames S