SNAITH - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

SNAITH - Jamaica

Postby AnnH » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:40 am

I'm looking for a connection between Snaith & McDermott 1st half 1800's. as the Snaith name keeps on coming up among the McDermott's. Has anyone out there any other info? I expect there may be a marriage connection.

Thanks Ann
AnnH

Re: SNAITH - Jamaica

Postby Marie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:40 am

Hello Ann:

I have both SNAITH and McDERMOTT in my family lines. Dr. Charles Henry McDermott in 1838 married Elizabeth Sloe SNAITH. She was bap 7 Oct 1817 in the Clarendon Parish of Jamaica and was the daughter of John SNAITH and Ann Hoyle BURRELL.
Dr. McDermott and Elizabeth SNAITH had 4 children that I have thus far been able to document. Francis Snaith McDermott, Susan Jane McDermott, Henrietta Clara McDermott and Elizabeth Serena McDermott.

May I ask how your SNAITH/MCDERMOTT fit into this tree?

Marie Snaith
Idaho, USA
Marie

Postby Harv » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Hello Marie. I am following my deceased mother's family line(Hall, Legoe, McDermott,...). My g grandmother is Henrietta Clara McDERMOTT b. Dec. 1850(Parish of St. Thomas in the Vale, Jamaica) d.(Dec. 1894( Montego Bay. Parish of St. James, Jamaica). In her Will and Testament her sister Zipporah Francis is a witness. I did not know of her two other sisters which you posted. Might I ask what was your source for this info? I am looking for birth, baptismal and death dates, if they still exist. Church records in Jamaica have been tossed around a great deal as you may know by human and natural elements!!! I'm also trying to ferret info re the good Dr. Charles Henry McDERMOTT whom I believe is my gg grandfather.I have found an interesting item on Google Search: A genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Great Britain, Vol.2 by Sir Bernard Burke. Page 842 re MACDERMOTT OF ALDERFORD, which could place the good doctor's lineage back to Ireland with his father named Mathew McDERMOTT (also an MD!) and his mother Miss McDermott of Ballinvilla (Ireland).............

Harv Macmillan
British Columbia. Canada
Harv

Postby Marie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 am

Harvey:

I just posted a reply to you under McDermott on this site, then I found this posting. Ann H found some of these children. Specifically, Charles Henry, Edward Clarence, and Elma Anne. The others I found through my own efforts. However, sister Zipporah is a surprise to all of us! Do you have a birth date for her?
Was she married?

May I also ask who Henrietta Clara married and when and where? I've looked for her and other than her birth information, I haven't found anything. I'd be especially keen to know the name of any children she had, if your willing to share that information.

I don't think the Matthew McD ROE is the father of 'our' Dr Charles Henry McD. This from Rory McD, who is the current head of the McD Clan whom I contacted when I first found that clue. He feels the dates are wrong. Chances are more closely associated with another Charles Henry McD, whose son also named Charles was a young man in 1807. From his death information just located by Ann H, it appears 'our' Dr. Charles was born about 1805. I'm just not sure that a 2 year old would be described as a 'young man'.

I am going to try using the <private message> tool associated with this web site to send you my direct email address. I think you, Ann H and I could share a lot of information to further each of our research efforts. If you don't get something from me tonight, please put a posting up here and I'll try it again.

Marie Snaith
Idaho, USA
Marie

Return to Surnames S