BRATHWAITE - Trinidad, Port of Spain

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BRATHWAITE - Trinidad, Port of Spain

Postby scarp50 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Shirley Carpenter - Looking for any information on my maternal grandfather, Frederick Brathwaite. His US documents state his mother's name as Rachal Cathrane James; and Father as James Brathwaite from Trinidad. He had brothers and sister, but I don't know any names. He immigrated to US around 1907 - 1910 supposedly to New York City for Architect school, however, he ended up in Mississippi in 1910, 1911 then moved to Texas 1930 thru 1940, then to California. He died in California in 1957. Here is the problem:

1. Don't know if his real name was Fred or not. My mom said she remembered him getting letters from home with the name of Tom or Thomas on it when she was little.
2. Can't pinpoint his birthdate. On all US documents he has different birth dates from June 12, 1882 , 1884, 1892, 1893
3. On US Census records, says he from Jamaica
scarp50

Re: BRATHWAITE - Trinidad, Port of Spain

Postby bimjim » Sat May 07, 2016 3:25 am

Do you have a spouse's name or a sibling's name?
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: BRATHWAITE - Trinidad, Port of Spain

Postby scarp50 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:50 pm

I have no information on Frederick Brathwaite in Trinidad. The only info that I have is what is on his US Social Security Application which states Mother's names as Rachal Cathrane James (spelled this way on application) and Father's name as James. Those names could very well be his brother and sister. I have an old photograph with 2 boys and 1 girl (being the youngest) that could not be his parents because of the clothes that they are wearing, and could possibly be his siblings with "Fred" being the oldest.

The wives that he had in the United States were May 8, 1911 Lucy Gilliom in Forrest, Mississippi; and my grandmother Delia Moten March 10, 1923. He is listed in the 1910 US Census as single.
scarp50

Return to Surnames B