BLAKE, DANIEL - Antigua, Martinique, Caribbean

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BLAKE, DANIEL - Antigua, Martinique, Caribbean

Postby Droidpayne50 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 am

Our ancestor, Charles Blake, Merchant Seaman, was born circa 1850, and according to his Crew Agreements was born in either Antigua or Martinique. We have evidence he was a crew member on board the St. Leonards, sailing from Gravesend, London to New Zealand in 1878 where he deserted ship. He settled in New Zealand with his wife Jane Charlotte Loader, an English woman. The marriage took place in Greytown, N.Z. in 1882 and they farmed in Carterton, which is a small rural town, one and a half hours north of Wellington, the capital city of N.Z.

Oral history tells us that Charles was of Irish descent, and this has been proved by DNA results. The family members were very dark and could be partly Irish plus African American, Native American, or French Canadian? Charles stated on his marriage certificate that he was born in New Brunswick which differs from his Crew Agreements. He stated that he was schooled in St. Johns, N.B. He also stated on his Marriage Certificate that his parents were Charles Blake and Mary Daniel. He died in 1936 in New Zealand and he possibly had a brother named John/Jack.

Has anyone got a connection to Charles or Mary Daniel? Any information would be gratefully accepted.
Droidpayne50

Re: BLAKE, DANIEL - Antigua, Martinique, Caribbean

Postby vikinggirl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi. I know this is an old post, but I am searching for more info on Charles Blake and Mary Daniel as well. Have you managed to find any info yet?

Charles Blake, his son, was the father of Ruby Blake, my Great Grandmother, and I have been researching the family tree lately. It's so frustrating that I've hit a brick wall.
Thanks.
vikinggirl

Postby Droidpayne50 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Viking Girl, great to hear from you.

My name is Sandra Blake and my husband Ian is a descendant of Charles, Hinton James (Jim), and Alan (Kiwi) Blake. I started searching in about 1995 and like everyone else hit a brick wall. Recently, members of the family have resorted to having their DNA checked, through Ancestry for Ethnicity. It has come back Irish, and West African,(Cameroon/Congo, Ivory Coast, Nigeria) along with European (Spain, Portugal), Great Britain, Scandinavia.

Charles, who arrived in N.Z. in 1878 states on his Crew Agreements, I was able to get copies for, that he was born in Antigua and was 26 when he arrived in N.Z. He married Charlotte Jane Loader in 1882 in Greytown, aged 25 and born in New Brunswick Jane was 17. I have checked records all around the world, but cannot find any family with a Charles and Mary Blake, with a son named Charles, or another son we were told about orally, named John/Jack, with the correct ages.

Those of us who are researching, believe that Charles' father, or the father before him have married, or been in a relationship with a dark skinned woman, and now with the DNA results, it appears to be African. A lot of African people were transported to the Caribbean as slaves. There was a Daniel who owned a plantation, and sometimes the slaves took the name of their master. We have a member of the family, Catherine Blake, who is married to Larry, son of Rex Blake, brother to my late father-in-law, researching. But as you know this game of genealogy takes a lot of time to find things and break the brick wall, we just hope we do it in our life time.

Droidpayne.
Droidpayne50

Postby vikinggirl » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 am

Hi Sandra. My name is Sarah Roberts.

I'm hoping I have the right info, and the same family. According to my records, Charles Blake was my Great Grandmothers father. Ruby Blake seems to have disappeared. I will be sending away for the DNA test this week. It'll be interesting to know what I find. I was told though that Ruby was quite dark.

I've even found a photo on ancestry.com but not sure who is who in that photo.

If you have records, are you able to email them to me at all if I message you with my email address? I'd be really interested to see them.
I'm checking my family tree as I'm writing this, and I see Hinton, Alan and Rex there so it must be the right tree. Maybe we can connect on ancestry.com as well?

It's all so interesting. I keep discovering something interesting about the family, or making another connection that has me following another path.

I have made contact with a few people who are researching the same thing. I've also connected with someone in Antigua who may be able to help. You've given me a lot of information to think about. :)

Now if only I could find anything on my Great Grandmother after 1928.. :)

Cheers
vikinggirl
vikinggirl

Postby Droidpayne50 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:03 am

We have a Facebook Group called Blake/Rogers/Drew/Loader descendants which you are welcome to join.

Do you have the a copy of the family featured on the page?

If not, I will send you a copy. It is of Charles and Jane and the their six surviving children, which of course includes Ruby.

Droidpayne
Droidpayne50

Postby vikinggirl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:45 am

I just finished replying to an email from someone else in the Blake line. I reached out to you both around the same time, wasn't sure I'd get an answer. She just told me about the facebook group too. :)

I have my family tree on ancestry.com but have a lot of work to do on it still. I'll send you my email address in a private message.

OMG what can you tell me about Ruby?! I've hit a brick wall with her too, and really want to find out where she went after she separated from Frank West. One of her sons tracked her down to Wairoa in the 50s or 60s and said she had changed her last name, defacto or something. Which is frustrating me that someone can find her in the 50/60s but I can't.

Oh, something suggested to me in regards to Charles Blake having different information between being born in Antigua and Canada.

"Just a thought Charles may have lied on his marriage certificate to hide his tracks or New Brunswick was part of the British empire and Antigua wasn't he would have had more rights as a member of the British empire just a thought"
vikinggirl

Postby Droidpayne50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:59 am

Hi, Sarah,
Hi, Viking Girl

Yes, I think you are right about Charles trying to hide something. I think it may have been, because he had Negro blood, and how badly the slaves and negro's in general were treated as second class citizens, that he thought it best to say he was from Canada. Some members of the family said they had French Canadian blood and others said they had Native American Indian, so someone was trying to hide the African link.

I also feel he lied about his age, as he was 30 or 30+ at the time he married Jane, and as she was only 17 he may have been trying to hide the age difference.

I will get onto photocopying the evidence I have and get it into the mail for you.

When I started, I was surprised at the different versions members of the family had. I decided to start with what might possibly be a lead with Charles arriving on the St. Leonards in 1880. I thought, if I could get evidence of his movements and if I could track him back to the first ship he was on, I might be able to find out where he came from. These members thought their version was the gospel truth, but when I asked, have you any evidence, they said NO. I discovered the Crew Agreement for Charles Blake, which was for the year 1878. One member of the family told me it wasn't him because he came out in 1880, and the Crew Agreement records weren't authentic. That was a major blow... but I have battled on.

Apparently, other members have had negative comments and it seems that the older generation were against us younger ones trying to find out the ancestors roots and other information. At one stage I was told to keep my nose out of it, and mind my own business. Thank goodness I have the support of so many younger ones. The older generation of Blake's were very proud. Nearly all the older generation are deceased, so they won't have to worry about what we dig up. The more skeletons in the cupboard, the more interesting it is, and I am sure that no one would hold it against any member of this generation.

Happy researching,

Droidpayne50
Droidpayne50

Postby bimjim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:37 am

Have any of you ever come across Irish merchants BLAKE in Jamaica or Barbados? Apparently they were merchats who married into my (assumed) Irish merchant Lynch line.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby vikinggirl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:48 am

That makes sense. It's frustrating, but it makes sense.

Hitting the brick wall over and over again as I run around in circles. It's worse that anything I think of, I know you have all already done what I'm trying to do, and thought of and covered anything that I may think of.
If only we could get more info.

It's made me want to find them more, but I don't know what else to try. I really wish I could find more info on my great grandmother. It seems like she just disappeared. I keep hitting the wall with that too.

Once I get the stuff that you mail, I'll make a plan on what steps to take next. If he was a different age, then I might try to expand the search on the DOB.

bimjim: Sorry, I haven't got that far yet, so I don't know.
vikinggirl

Postby Droidpayne50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:30 am

bimjim,
No I haven't. On what site would I check for them?
I did make contact with a family who said they were Hughes and one of their ancestors changed his name to Blake on joining the navy. I have always got one eye open looking for this name to come up.
I really appreciate all the work you do and thank you for setting up this site.
Droidpayne50

Postby Droidpayne50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:08 am

Viking Girl,
We have been searching from 1850 to 1857.
When you search, lots of sites actually post all Christian names as well as all birth dates, even those outside your range.
More and more records are coming on line everyday, so it pays to go back after a couple of years and recheck.
I am waiting for records from Dugary, County Tyrone,Northern Ireland, to be posted, as my Great, Great, Great, grandmother, was born there.
Charles indicated that he did his schooling in New Brunswick, Canada. Years ago I tried to access school records but didn't have any joy. Have checked heaps of Census records also, to no avail.
Droidpayne50
Droidpayne50

Postby vikinggirl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 am

I actually go to Canada quite a bit so I might see if I can check records when I'm there next.

Oh, I'm just waiting for the DNA kit to arrive now so I can get that done too. :)
vikinggirl

Postby Droidpayne50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:18 am

Viking Girl,
That sounds great. Amazing that you travel so much. It would be great if you could find some evidence of the Blake family in Canada.
My DNA results are due to be posted this month. Can't wait.
Droidpayne50
Droidpayne50

Return to Surnames B