MASSIAH, LINO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MASSIAH, LINO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Postby Massiah » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 pm

I would welcome anybody who might be able to further my searches on the above named Ancestors.

The Lindo's had connections with Amsterdam but seemed to be living in Barbados Circa 1725 through till 1824 when the family became substantially diminished.

They had strong connections through marriage with the Massiah's another family that had come to Barbados circa 1680 onwards... also the Belinfante's and Lopez's too.

I as yet cannot identity the wife of Abraham Lindo (Senior) other than her first name was Judith B. 1725 D. 1783 ? also Isaac Lindo (Abraham's brother) whose wife was also named Judith B. 1724 - D. 1794 ? there is a possibility she is a Louzada but I cannot confirm that.

Also any information on Isaac de piza Massiah and his sister Sarah who was married to Joseph Barrow would be gratefully received.

Claire (Myers)
Massiah

Re: MASSIAH, LINO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Postby Boyce4real » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi

https://www.jstor.org/stable/43059323?s ... b_contents

I know that those names you have posted are the names of Jewish settlers to Barbados. They are Spanish and Dutch. Some of those surnames are very much present in Barbadian society today. You can find a lot of info on the Jewish community in Barbados .. Hope this is helpful. I do know of Massiah (I went to school with them) Lindo is a teacher (The Jews often changed the spelling of their names so Lino may have become Lindo.) Recently met Lopez.

see link above.
Boyce4real

Postby Massiah » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Hello,

Thank you so much for making contact, it was interesting to hear what you had to say. Is it at all possible you might know any Massiah or Lindo personally to be able to ask if they know their Lineage ?? I found a lot of my ancestors (the Lindo's memorial stones on the Jewish Atlantic World site and back in the late 18C they married into the Massiah family and Louseda family. Thank you for the link you sent me as well I am very grateful for your interest.

Do you yourself have Jewish ancestry ?

best wishes

Claire
Massiah

Postby Boyce4real » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi I too am trying to trace my roots. I recently discovered that I may have a Lopez in my ancestry. Lopez of Spanish decent. I am currently searching my Maternal grandfather's lineage. They are Boyce, Goddard, Gill, Belgrave are some of the names. Check on Line for Phil Arnell He did some research on the Lopez side of the family and has published a book on Boyce, Lopez, Belgrave, Gill Valboris and Watson families of Boscobelle St. Peter.

I think Lindo is a Juliette Lindo. I will investigate for you. One of my student's father is a Massiah. I will check with her when i am back out to work. We will stay in touch.

Have a great week. Stay in touch.
Boyce4real

Return to Surnames B