BOLLERS - Guyana

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BOLLERS - Guyana

Postby abollers » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Please contact me if you are seeking for or have info on the Guyana Bollers family. Thanks, Alan Bollers
abollers

Re: BOLLERS - Guyana

Postby bollersa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 am

I have recently discovered that my grandfather John Eustace Bollers was born in Barbados either in 1868 or 1872. I would like to connect with any Barbados Bollers family members. I would also like the info on who and where to contact to obtain a copy of his birth certificate or would appreciate help from someone in Barbados who would help me on the ground there to obtain a copy. Thanks, Alan Bollers
bollersa

Postby BasilBollers » Fri May 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Alan,

I am also a Bollers from Guyana and I am also finding it difficult to trace my fathers place of birth and birth certificate. I have a copy of his Marriage certificate and possible date of birth but despite visiting the Registry in Georgetown I still haven't be successful in tracing him.

Our family lived in Queenstown and moved to McDoom Village / Agricola on the East Bank of Demerara. Where in Guyana do your family originate, and do you know my family.

Hoping to hear from you.

Basil (Lance) Bollers
BasilBollers

Postby bollersa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Lance, just saw your post. Sorry for not responding sooner. Yes, the records are hard to get onto in GT. I only know who my grandfather is and I can't push back past him. I have done a fair bit of research to have an educated guess as to our Bollers line in Guyana.

All Bollers in Guyana are most likely descended from two brothers: John Georges Bollers, a plantation owner in the Pomeroon area, and his brother, Christian Nicholas, who possibly was a lawyer in GT (always signed his name: Esq). Their parents Martin and Barbara (nee Haus) Bollers, were owners of Ruimzicht Plantation on the west coast. That area is still so named. They came to Guyana as the early Dutch settlers and, of course, were slave owners. You can find all this in old colonial newspapers all on line to include a few names of slaves. I am either descended from that original family or those they "owned"; however, I have no way to anything... yet.

I know for sure my grandfather, John, was born in Barbados and his mother was from Guyana. I understand, he did not know his father; so, I don't know whether he kept his father's name or assumed his mother's name, which was a common thing. Family legend has it he was a brilliant student (likely a graduate from Bardados' prestigious Codrington College) and achieved the status of Barbados' version of a "Guyana Scholar" but was denied it either due to his mixed race or illegitimacy or both. Following school, he served as a cabin boy on a clipper ship for a short time; due to abuse by the ship's captain, he jumped ship in GT at 16 years, I surmise about 1884. He stayed there until his passing in 1940. He was fortunate in that he became the a surrogate son of the Director of BG Mutual, now Guyana Mutual, behind the Post Office --- but you know that. The Director educated him in Edinburgh, Scotland, where my father, Louis, was born in 1910. John Bollers became a multi-millionaire, by Guyana standards, by the age of 28; he married a girl with Scottish roots, Mary Elma Clarke, who lived somewhere off D'urban St. He eventually became the Director at BG Mutual, a position he held for decades until succeeded by his son Reginald. (Uncle Reggie and his wife were slaughter by a home invasion sometime in the late 60s.) His youngest son Sir Harold Brodie Smith Bollers became Guyana's first Chief Justice following Independence. John Bollers was definitely a mover and a shaker in Guyana politics; I am not sure to which party/ideology he adhered but I suspect it was to the status quo during his time; he would not have leaned Jagan left. He was a life-long devout Anglican and attended Christ Church. He educated his children superbly; his son's at Queens College and daughters in Convent schools. The sons, except my father, had opportunities to attend University in England. Luckily for me, my dad was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, Class 1931; in 1967, owing to him, I became an American citizen having immigrated here in 1965. My dad came back to GT from university, opened a business, got married and between 1940 and 1952 had 6 children ... 4 boys & 2 girls; I am the 4th son and 5th child. I was born in GT, 1950, and came home from St Joseph's Mercy Hospital (now gone) to 106 Middle St, which became a Cara Suite Hotel. My days of childhood wonder and play was always in the Promenade Gardens. I turn 67 on 24 Dec in a few days hence. I am indeed a fortunate son; God has definitely been good to me. I've been married 42 years and have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. Three were born to my eldest, now passed, and a Guyanese girl; so, I maintain my roots with the homeland. Daughter, youngest son, and grands are doing well. I was always told the Bollers have all inherited certain character traits that make them successful; driven to be well educated, productive, family oriented, opinionated, and hard working in their chosen endeavors --- Achievers. When I review my life, I think of all the Bollers' shoulders I stand on going back to my grandfather's mother who was very likely born in slavery and my mother's people who first settled settled Dutch Guiana since 1650 in search of religious freedom. Very likely, the blood of all of Guyana's six races flow through me. Most of all, I'm proud to have the Bollers name; I hope you feel the same. So this is my life's sketch to date. God has indeed been good to me and I he has to you. May you have a very Happy Christmas and a blessed 2018. Alan
bollersa

Return to Surnames B