BRANCH - Barbados and Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BRANCH - Barbados and Grenada

Postby Twiglet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:16 pm

I am researching the Branch family in the West Indies from the mid-1600s on. I would like to find out who were the first to go, when, why and on which ship. Also why they left, when and where to. Any help or suggestions of how I can source this information would be gratefully recieved.
Twiglet

Re: BRANCH - Barbados and Grenada

Postby VicWarr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 pm

I am curious if your Branch family is related to the one I'm searching for. I'm looking for my fathers father. Born November 28, 1913 Orange Cottage, Horse Hill, St Joseph, Barbados. I have found more information on his mother than I'm able to find on him. His mother was Helena Inez Branch born June 20, 1889 father Joseph Henry Branch. Any connection?
VicWarr

Postby bimjim » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm

You only gave two names, so what I found was limited but there was still something of interest in the IGI...
https://familysearch.org/search?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp

--

Joseph Henry Branch
Barbados Baptisms, 1739-1891
baptism/christening date: 01 Jan 1891
baptism/christening place: Barbados
father's name: Joseph Henry Branch
mother's name: Martha Elizabeth Jane Seales
indexing project (batch) number: I05397-1
source film number: 1158023

--

Inez Branch
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
last place of residence: St Josephs, Barbados
date of arrival: 08 Jul 1910
age at arrival: 20y
ethnicity: British
port of departure: Barbados, British West Indies
port of arrival: New York City, New York, New York
marital status: S
ship of travel: Tintoretto
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Twiglet » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm sorry , but I have had no luck with Lawrence, Joseph or Inez. There have been connections with a family called Lawrence, and it was usual for a child somewhere to be named after a new family menber. The only Joseph I can find was in the mid 1700s. A Noel Branch was the first Cof E Chaplain in Mexico sometime in the (probably) late 1800s, Inez sounds vaguely Hispanic, there might be a connection there, but it is a very long shot.
Twiglet

Postby VicWarr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm

That is great information! I didn't mention my fathers fathers name it is "Hubert Branch" at least that is what I am told. The date of birth matches up with the information I've found, but I am unable to find any recent information on him. The only information I have on his is "Hubert Branch:
Immigration: 1928, Unknown Port". He married Ruby A. Skeete on November 17, 1936. How can I find more information on Hubet Branch? Does he have children? Is he still allive?

Also, the information you provided states that Helena Inez Branch was british, did you find any information on her nationality?

Thank you so much for the information you've provided.
VicWarr

Postby bimjim » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am

Also from the IGI (URL above)

--

Ruby Viola Skeete
baptism/christening date: 10 Sep 1891
mother's name: Matilda Skeete
indexing project (batch) number: I05397-1
system origin: Barbados-EASy
source film number: 1158023

--

Ruby Skeete
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
residence: St. Michael,​ Barbados
immigration: 01 Aug 1923
age at arrival: 9 y
ethnicity: G. Britain, African
port of departure: Barbados, British West Indies
port of arrival: New York
marital status: S
ship of travel: Vestris

--

Hubert Emmanuel Branch
baptism/christening date: 04 Nov 1883
mother's name: Mercy Branch
indexing project (batch) number: I01412-0
system origin: Barbados-EASy
source film number: 1158005
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Jacko » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:26 pm

My uncle was Laurie Haynes Branch who was married to my father's sister Etta Eudora Ramsey. His father was Cap'n Thomas Branch who was the manager of Claybury Plantation in St John, Barbados. When Cap'n Branch died, Laurie took over the management of Claybury Plantation which was owned by the Sealy's. Laurie and his family resided at Claybury for many years.
Laurie was also a water diviner and was a member of the Society of Dowsers of Great Britain.
Jacko

Postby mbranch » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:25 pm

I am also looking for any information that you might have found out. I have tracked my family to Samuel R. Branch, from the Barbados Birth 1751 but I am unable to go any further. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
mbranch

Postby Twiglet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:53 pm

The only Samuel Ralph Branch I have was born about 1766 in St Michael Barbados and died 1821. he was the father of Thomas Macintosh B and Samuel Edmund B, among others. If he is "Yours", I can go back a further 3 generations. let me know
Twiglet

Postby mbranch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 am

Twiglet,
Yes, that would be great.Thank you!
mbranch

Postby Twiglet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:04 pm

OK, here goes,

Samuel Ralph Branch 1766 (aprox) to 1821 was the fifth child of William Samuel Branch 20/10/1742 to 1776 and Jane Weekes.

WS Branch was the 7th child of Dr John Branch 1713 to 1764 (Aprox) and Ann Fox.

Dr John Branch was the fifth child of John Branch 1683 to 1720 (approx) and Elizabeth Seaward.

John Branch was the second child of Samuel Branch 1660 to 1692 and Elizabeth Haynes

Elizabeth Seaward was the daughter of John Seaward and Elizabeth Branch, this Elizabeth was the daughter of Samuel Branch, the son of Robert Branch who was most likely born in England around 1618. here is no documented connection between the two Samuels. Life gets complicated, don't it!

Usual caveats regarding reliability of information - it has been compiled by me (a complete amateur) from such sources that I can find.

hope this was useful, or at least interesting

Twig
Twiglet

Postby williamB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:20 pm

I am William Branch living in Barbados. Laurie Branch was my great uncle. His brother was Thurston who was my grandfather. My father was Ralph.
Dr Peter Branch (i can not remember his connection) moved to Australia in the 60's. He wrote a book on the Branch family. Apparently he worked on it for twenty years.

My cousin Rosemary whose mother was Joyce, Ralph's sister, has the book in England. I have not seen it but will make an attempt to get it.
From what I have been told Stephen Branche was the first Branch to arrive in Barbados (the e was dropped later) in 1632 on the Mayflower.
The book goes way back two hundred years prior. Apparently we were French originally (scary).
williamB

Postby Twiglet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi, William, good to hear from you.

I shall delve into my big box of lists, relations etc to see if I can place you in relation to me, if I am successful, I will post it here. I wrote to Peter in Australia a few years ago, but he had died, and my letter was returned. It certainly seems that he had a lot of information, it is soooo frustrating when I realise that I am trying to find out things that someone else has solved half a century ago!

If you can get a copy of that book from Rosemary, I would be very interested to see it. My current activity is trying to put dates and names to the earliest Branchs in England-they pop up in all sorts of places, high and low. Then I want to connect them with the ones who went to Barbados. A complicating factor seems to be that some might have gone to the Caribbean via pre-revolutionary America, or via the Bahamas.

I think that there are at least 2 Dr Peter Branchs. One was the son of Wilford? B and Violet Massiah. He would have been born in the'20s .Wilford ? was the son of Edward William Rawle B and Prudence? Baynes. I need to delve deeper to find the one who went to Australia.

The French connection is very likely, with at least one Norman soldier called Raoul (or Roger, or Ralph) Branch probably part of William the Conqueror's invading army in 1066.

Keep in touch!

John B
Twiglet

Postby williamB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi John, Back in the 90's we were visited by a John Branch from Texas but I can not remember the connection. Are you that John? If not, where do you live now?

I have an Aunt Betty B still alive. She was born challenged but has a perfect mind and can tell me what the weather was like on dec 10 1948.
Send me any questions from the time of Thomas B, my great grandfather and she may be able to answer them. She was very good with dates like birth days and deaths.

I have contacted Rosemary about the book.

Your post reminded me of something my father told me about the book. Apparently the french Branche family supported William the Conqueror's army and were given land in England.

Note that their was my father Ralph, John, Joyce, Betty and Keith. All died except Betty. She is 74.

I only know of one Dr Peter B but not sure of the parents.

Laurie Branch fought in WW1. I have many stories from my father about that and the dowsing. Many of the wells in Barbados were found by him. My son in Daniel Laurie.

I was born April 5 1958. A brother Wayne Dec 2 1949 and sister Isabell Feb 21 1960.
williamB

Postby Twiglet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 pm

William, I once visited Dallas, but I am not Texan! I Expect you have noticed that most of our male ancestors were named Samuel, William, George etc in cycles and the females were largely Elizabeths? It makes things difficult, especially when a bunch of cousins all had each others' surnames as first or second names.

Anyway, I'll go backwards from me, and you can see if anyone looks familiar. I was born in England in 1945, My father, George Ronald was born on Grenada in 1909, his father, George Faulkener was born 1874, also on Grenada, next was George Wells, b 1843 St Philip, Barbados, Thomas McIngtosh b 1797, Samuel Ralph b 1766(aprox), William Samuel, b 1742, Dr John b abt 1713, John, b abt 1683, Samuel b abt 1660. Then it all gets hazy, and I have no real idea as to who was born in England, or why they went to Barbados in the first place.

I spent a week in Barbados a few years ago, and visited the Archives in the old leper hospital, it was fascinating to see the records there but it was hardly fair to linger too long!

I note that your ggfather was Thomas, as was my gggfather - is this the same Thomas? He owned the Pollards estate due to a fortunate marriage in the previous generation.

All the best for now, together we may track down those elusive ancestors!

John
Twiglet

Next

Return to Surnames B