BRANCH - Barbados and Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: BRANCH - Barbados and Grenada

Postby williamB » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi John, it can not be the same Thomas since my grandfather was born around 1897. I will get back to you when I get a chance to speak to Betty. We have a storm over us at the moment. A very rare event.
williamB

Postby Twiglet » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:53 pm

William, I saw some video on YouYube and other sites of the storm last week. I hope it was not too bad for you, and you are drying out OK.

A pair of Branch ancestors died in the great storm of 1780, leaving their orphan son to be brought up by his aunt and uncle. She was a Branch, and the boy was named Alexander Barclay Branch. He went on to an eventful career in the Royal Navy. I never did really find out who his natural parents were.

John B
Twiglet

Postby williamB » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:44 pm

The storm turned out to be nothing. Very little rain but it is continuing on to Jamaica as hurricane Matthew.

I have not received any reply from Rosie. I will continue to contact her. I am trying to get her phone number.
williamB

Postby williamB » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi john, I got a reply from Rose but it seems that I had some incorrect info. Read the below. The book is available on Amazon.

Hi William
Sorry been a bit hectic here.
The book I had was called The Travellers Tree...which is in a box in storage with a load of stuff. It mentions Uncle Lorrie and I think Ralph finding water somewhere down by Sam Lords I think.
I think you should be able to get this book on Amazon quite easily.
Its not by Peter Branch though...I only know his name as someone who was researching the family tree? Not sure if he was mentioned to me by Wayne or someone else. betty will probably know who he is.
Let me know if you manage to order the book or not.
Hope this finds you all well.

Rosie
williamB

Postby Twiglet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:46 pm

I found a bookseller with a good price. I'll let you know details when it arrives!
John
Twiglet

Postby Twiglet » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi, William

I have the Traveller's Tree - it cost less than the P&P! I have tried to scan the relevant bits so that you may read it for yourself, but I cannot fathom the technology! Anyway it was published 1950, so the events were post WW11 and pre 1950. I have not read all of it, but the bits that seem to be about "us" talk about a "Mr Branch", with no first names at all.

It looks likely that the encounter took place in St James, close to the beach where the Mr Branch in question, using a modified gas-mask, was in a water-filled hole digging for treasure. He is described as a mild-faced elderly gentleman, who looked like a vicar.

The piece goes on to describe how he was a dowser, and could divine the presence of anything or anybody using rods, pendulums etc. Can you identify who exactly he was? I presume the treasure did not materialise, but such an interesting (eccentric) character must have given rise to some fine stories.

All the Best

John
Twiglet

Previous

Return to Surnames B