BANNISTER, GILBERT - Antigua

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BANNISTER, GILBERT - Antigua

Postby Chezza4 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:18 am

We are looking for our Great x 6 Grandmother Alice Gilbert Bannister b.1752 Antigua d.1825.

She married Rev. Nicholas Mosley Cheek in 1771 in Nottingham England. He was b.1741 Derby and d.1805 Rolleston. They had 11 children.

We have Alice's parents as Robert Bannister and Elizabeth Gilbert. We have Elizabeths father as Nathaniel Gilbert.

We were also wondering if this Nathaniel is the same one, along with his brother Francis, that brought the Methodist religion to the West Indies or if he was connected in any way.

Any help would be apprciated.

Regards Chezza4
Chezza4

Re: BANNISTER, GILBERT - Antigua

Postby hassler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm

The Elizabeth Gilbert you referred to was the second wife of Robert Bannister. Nathaniel Gilbert, founder of Methodism in Antigua was her brother, also Frances; there were seven other siblings. Frances and two sisters were the children of Nathaniel Gilbert (Elizabeth's father and Mary Lynch) while the other six (including Elizabeth) were by Nathaniel's second wife. The forename Nathaniel is very prominent in the Gilbert family and can sometimes be a bit confusing. I only saw your post a couple of days ago as I'm new to this forum. Hope this might be of some help to you.
hassler

Postby Chezza4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 am

Thank you for your reply hassler. After nearly 30 years of hunting for various ancestors this is the first break thru a "brick wall" we have had. All help is greatly received by my aunt and myself. With them marrying twice and sometime changing their names it can be hard to find them. Again thank you chezza4
Chezza4

Postby hassler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:55 pm

You're welcome; I'm glad to have helped. I have more information on the Gilberts and Bannisters you might wish to have, if desired.
hassler

Postby Chezza4 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:39 am

Hi hassler, Sorry it has taken me this long to get back but we had a terrific thunder storm and it blew my comp up and I lost everything. We would love to have anymore info that you have on the Gilberts and Bannisters. I did know Alice Gilbert Bannister had siblings but not their names.I have read a bit on Nathaniel and Frances on the net and wondered where they fitted in. Like you said there is a lot of Nathaniels in there. Look forward to hearing back from you. Regards Chezza4
Chezza4

Postby hassler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi Chezza4
I've away on hols for five weeks and only got back today, hence my tardy reply; sorry to hear about your computer. I have info which I'm sure you'll find very interesting and perhaps you would prefer to use PM for this? If so, please let me know.
hassler
hassler

Postby Chezza4 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:58 am

Hi hassler,

thanks for your reply. Hope the holiday went well. After my last letter on this link, I have been lucky enough to break down another brick wall, and got back 4 generations on my Dad's side. Bannisters are Mum's side.

Would dearly love to look at this elusive (to us) family. Certainly would prefer PM.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

take care

chezza4
Chezza4

Return to Surnames B