BUTLER - COOKE - WILLOCK - PROTHEROE - Antigua

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BUTLER - COOKE - WILLOCK - PROTHEROE - Antigua

Postby Lou » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 am

Searching for any information regarding William Butler (1742-1805), merchant of North Road, St Johns, Antigua, and his wife, Elizabeth nee Cooke, died 1815 (I have her will). Also their children, John Laforey Butler (1786-1848), William Henry Butler (1791-1822), Lewis James Butler(1793-1860) and Margaret Pearson Butler (died 1868).

Also seeking information on John Butler, younger brother of William, and his wife Elizabeth nee Willock (baptised 8 Feb 1767) daughter of Alexander Willock of Antigua.

The parents of William and John were William Butler (1720-1800) and Catherine nee Protheroe (1724-1801)
Lou

Re: BUTLER - COOKE - WILLOCK - PROTHEROE - Antigua

Postby dorrmckenzie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Searching through Slave Register of former Colonies (1812-1834), I discovered Anthony Proteroe @ the age of 7 years old (b. 1821) on Yak Estate, born to Mary Thomas ( b. 1777) , in Saint Thomas in the East , ( Eastern Portland ). I wondered if there are any other Protheroe in your family, or do you recognize this particular name. I know that the enslaved were shifted to various places , ripped from family members , lost perhaps forever . Last year I ordered a kit and volunteer with " 23andme/Back to Root in the Future" and found out by spitting in a tube, that my maternal ancestry were of Eastern Africa . The countries were Entrea, Ethiopia & Tanzania . The tribes were also named , such as Tagrai, Hadza and Sandwe people. I have picked up 34 family relations so far within North America . Some were 97% of European ancestry , but we shared a relative with that 3% African heritage . So it's not a matter of geography ,it boils down to lost relatives . BTW: I am from Jamaica .

Regards,
Dorritt
McKenzie
dorrmckenzie

Postby Pamela » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi,

I am one of the great-granddaughters of Nicolas and Louisa Riley of Montserrat. Louisa's maiden name was Willock. Would love to know if your "Willock" is related to ours. We have been trying to find more information about Nicolas and Louisa Riley.

We know for sure they had at least two sons, who were twins, one being my grandfather John Douglas Riley, my father's (Samuel Riley's) father. We have not been able to find the name of his twin brother. Hope to hear from you!

Pam Riley Bassett-Carmalt
Pamela

Postby LilyLilyRose » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:43 pm

I am wondering if the "Pearson" in Margaret Pearson Butler has anything to do with the Pearson I am searching for. Warwick Pearson was a partner with Hyndman Pearson and I am particularly searching for any information about his natural daughter Elizabeth Pearson who was born on Antigua, went with her father to Westmoreland, England and married Henry Humphrey Bell of Ireland (Ballyronan near Lough Neagh). They spent some time in both places at different times of the year.
LilyLilyRose

Postby Lou » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Hello Lily Lily,

In her Will of 30th May 1812 Elizabeth Butler nominated "George White of the said island Auctioneer my said son Lewis James Butler and my friend Mrs Margaret Pearson of the said island Widow to be the Executors and Executrix of this my last Will ...." Signed in the presence of John Crawford.

Elizabeth Butler's youngest child was baptised Margaret Pearson Butler which suggests that Margaret Pearson was her Godmother. I have not been able to discover anything about Margaret Pearson's husband or her maiden name.

John Butler the grandson of Lewis James Butler changed his surname to Pearson and this has been the practice of his descendants now living in Australia. I do not know why this change was made in the first place.

Margaret Pearson appears in the Slave Registers as owning slaves in Antigua and other islands.

If any of this connects with your family of Pearsons please let me know. Best regards.
Lou

Re: Pearson and BUTLER - COOKE - WILLOCK - PROTHEROE - Antig

Postby LilyLilyRose » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:42 am

Sorry for the length of time before replying!

Thank you for your information, I will check it out. Warwick Pearson returned to Westmoreland, England and his daughter Elizabeth "Betsy" married Henry Humphrey Bell and they lived sometimes at Warwick Lodge, Magheralin near Lough Neath and sometimes in Westmoreland.

One of their sons was Charles Dent Bell, Reverend, who wrote hymns. Another, an ancestor of mine, has strong links with New Zealand.

In his Will Warwick Pearson mentions his daughter Elizabeth as a natural daughter and I have been unable to find a mother for her. In his memoirs Charles Dent Bell says his mother was born "on another island" and had dark skin.

Anyone out there have any information that might help? :)
LilyLilyRose

Return to Surnames B