BRANDON - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BRANDON - Jamaica

Postby PaulGB » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi,

I am looking for the descendants/ancestors of Abraham Brandao, born around 1640 in London, England and died around 1710.

In particular, I am looking for the families of Moses Brandon, born 1786 and died 20 Jun 1835 in Kingston, Jamaica, and Susanna Andrews, died in Australia, 10 Jun 1891.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Paul
PaulGB

Re: BRANDON - Jamaica

Postby caquart » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 am

Have you seen the book "The Knell of Parting Day: A History of the Jews of POrt Royal and the Hunt's Bay Cemetery". The book is by Marilyn Delevante. The ISBN is 978-976-8217-29-5. It was published in 2008. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you go to www.abebooks.com there are 2 copies available, one at a UK booksellers and one in California. The book mentions quite a few Brandao/Brandon names including your Abraham, who the book states was born in London in 1640 and died in 1712. The book mentions that he had 2 sons Jacob and Isaac. Tombs were found for both and the inscriptions are in the book. There is a photograph of Isaac's tomb.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby PaulGB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 am

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have heard of the book, but not yet formally placed the order. I am located just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada, which gives me an advantage, as Marilyn Delevante's brother, Anthony Alberga, lives in Toronto. I have contacted him to order the book. I have just finished reading her previous book, which she co-wrote with him, The Island of One People, which was fantastic. For some reason, it is much cheaper to . it new from Anthony than to . it used. The site is http://thejewsofjamaica.com/site2/purch ... index.html. It looks like the email address is Marilyn's, but the address that it goes to is Anthony's.

Are you related to the Brandon's? My great great great grandfather is also in Marilyn and Anthony's line.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Paul
PaulGB

Postby caquart » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm

No I'm not related to the Brandons that I know of, but Alphonse Brandon was our family lawyer, so the name was very familiar to me and caught my eye.
caquart

Postby PaulGB » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 am

Hi Cathy,

I did find this in the Jamaican Family Search database:

Brandon, Alphonse Alexander, b 10/27/1872, bap 7/7/1872. P= James Brandon & Margaret Archer (U). Sp= M. Smith & Catherine Barrow. JD p. 344

There seems to be a line of Brandons in Jamaica that I can't seem to find a link to my Brandons. Interesting, because I know David Brandon was a lawyer, as there was a lawsuit between him and his brother, Mortimer Moses Brandon, who was my great grandfather, over the estate of their mother!

You may have some lawyers in your line as well, as two justices are in St. Mary in 1919:

W. Reginald Aquart, Highgate
Peter Francis Aquart, Kingston

There is also a will:

Aquart, Peter Francis, Nonsuch near Highgate, St. Mary, planter #3 Item 6, 1918

Take care,

Paul
PaulGB

Postby caquart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:45 am

Hi Paul,

Brandon, Alphonse Alexander, b 10/27/1872, bap 7/7/1872. P= James Brandon & Margaret Archer (U). Sp= M. Smith & Catherine Barrow. JD p. 344 This Alphonse would not have been our family lawyer as this one would have been born a little too early. The lawyer had a wife called Leila, who was a well-known Jamaican cook book writer. I'm pretty sure he was still in active practice in the 1970s. Alphonse and Leila (nee Byles) appear on the following page <http://glacegroup.com/Byle%20Family%20Tree/BYLES-generation-tree.asp>, but there is no indication of his parentage. He appears to have had a keen interest in horse racing. Here also is a bit about his law firm:

LIVINGSTON ALEXANDER & LEVY is the oldest law firm in Jamaica.

Formed on February 10, 1911 by Noel Livingston (later Sir Noel) and Harold Alexander (later the Hon.), the Firm was originally known as Livingston and Alexander and for a very short time when Mervyn King joined the partnership, the Firm was known as Livingston, Alexander & King. In 1930, Aston Theodore Charles Levy joined the partnership and the Firm finally became known as Livingston, Alexander & Levy.

In 1976 and 1979 respectively, the law firms A.E. Brandon & Company and Hanna, Cooper & Associates merged with Livingston, Alexander & Levy.

Today, the Firm has 21 lawyers, including two of the country's leading Queen's Counsel

Thanks for the names from Jamaican Family Search. Both those Aquarts were JPs but were farmers, not lawyers!

Cathy
Last edited by caquart on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
caquart

Postby PaulGB » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 am

Hi Cathy,

Ooops. A little difference between farmers and lawyers;)

I wonder if the family lawyer was named after this gentlemen? Hopefully some day I will make the connection with the other Brandons. It is somewhat frustrating seeing the names, but not knowing where they fit in. The families seemed to intermarry a lot with certain other families. One will has a young girl's inheritance dependant on marrying her first cousin. In my line, we have two first cousins marrying, so I guess their father-in-law was also their uncle.

Take care,

Paul
PaulGB

Postby Lee D » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Hello Paul, a few years since your post but I found this while searching for details on Moses Brandon because I am a descendant - George Brandon is my great great grandfather. My sister found his grave in Melbourne, which is with his mother Susannah Andrews.

I am interested in tracing the Brandon/Brandao line back to Portugal and would be most interested in your research.
I also wondered if anyone has any luck finding out details about Susannah, the former slave.

Regards

Lee D
Lee D

Return to Surnames B