BARNET - Martinique

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BARNET - Martinique

Postby Bigdeacon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

My third great grandfather, Simon Barnet was born in Martinique in 1743. He was of mixed race. He reportedly came to America on his uncle's ship in 1754 and thereafter lived in Philadelphia and became a ship carpenter. He served aboard a privateer in the revolution and was interpreter and "front man" for French Refugees to the US during the French Revolution. Is there any way to discover his roots in Martinique? Thanks. Bigdeacon
Bigdeacon

Re: BARNET - Martinique

Postby richard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:52 am

I am looking for Barnard and there is a DNA project involving both names. You might be interested in more info?
regards
Richard
richard

Postby bigz4053 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Simon Barnet was also my 5th great grandfather. Here is what I know so far:

Simon married Margaret Sidell in Philly, PA May 30, 1775, they traveled up to a place called Butternuts NY which is in Otesgo County, they a child Charles Felix Barnett born Nov. 23,1792. They had change the spelling, he married Clarissa Whitmore Feb. 19, 1809.

Charles died Oct. 8, 1885 in Greene NY, they had a child Andrew Jackson Barnett born April 9, 1829 in Greene, NY. He married Temperance (don't know maiden name) and had a child Leroy Barnett born about 1866. He married Mary Daniels in Sidney, NY they had a child Jackson Barnett born Nov. 19, 1908 in Greene, NY. He married Dorthy Odell May 12, 1926 in Greene, NY, they had a child Richard Barnett born Aug. 19, 1928 in Greene, NY. He married Marilyn Brown June 25, 1950, and they had me.

I hope this helps in some way if you happen to get any more info on Simon please let me know.

Thank You.
bigz4053

Postby richard » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 am

Do you have a direct male line back to him? if so it would be worth getting his DNA tested - i can give you details if you wish - as the Barnard/Barnet surnames have got intermingled over the years!
richard

Postby bigz4053 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Yes I would be intrested in checking the DNA thing out.
bigz4053

Postby bimjim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

You can order reliable, respected DNA tests through this link to FamilyTreeDNA.com... they are the same lab did the now-famous Natiuonal Geographic Genographic samples...
http://www.familytreedna.com/cj.asp?ftdna_ref=367

Disclosure: I will get a few pennies for referring you, but you will not pay more than anyone else. The few pennies I get in commission would help to pay for this (free) resource.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Bigdeacon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I am excited by this contact re Simon Barnet. Bigz and I are cousins. You can view what I have at my website; http://www.thebigdeacon.com. My name is Tom. Barnett DNA would be super to have.
Bigdeacon

Postby richard » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 am

That sounds good as the Barnet/Barnard DNA testing has been done there too. The coordinator is Alan Barnard www.barnarddna.dranrab.com i think has details on and you will see that there are about 40 people in it so far. I do hope you will sign up. It might be easier to communicate directly? If so i will get you my email address but i think i have to ask Jim if thats OK?
Whichever way do let me know if you decide to take up the DNA route.
richard

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 am

You may exchange anything you like by Private Message (PM), but you may NOT provide any email address in any public Post, in any format.

To initiate a PM, simply look to the right of any Post by the person you want to communicate with and click on the small square blue-ish icon with "PM" on it - for instance, the icon to the right of this Post will send one to me. The form that results will already be set up with the person's username as destination, just go ahead and start typing a Message.

One final note: When you look in your mailbox (here in this Index), if the Message is still in the "Outbox" all that means is the person it was sent to has not picked it up yet. After they pick it up the Message will be in the "Sent Messages" folder.

When starting conversations in private, whether by PM or email, I ask you to remember that public discussionss here (in Posts and Replies) usually generate more responses from other people - because of additional details disclosed during the discussion that those others may be looking for that are not in the original Post/s.

Hope that helps...

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames B