BURROWES - Kingston Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: BURROWES - Kingston Jamaica

Postby Trish » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Dee,

Yes, I have the same information. I am really having a hard time find out about the generation before William and Eliza.

Trish
Trish

Postby ravidya » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Dee
I have been working on the Burrowes of Jamaica for a while now and have gathered quite a bit. My husband's family is descended from William Burrowes and Mary Sophia Johnston through their grandson Resident Magistrate Bertram, who was brother to Alfred Earnest Burrowes (of Marcus Garvey fame). My husband is Bertram's great grandson.
Mary Sophia was the daughter of a free mulatto woman called Ruth Prance, who actually owned a few slaves. Ruth most likely was the daughter of a St Elizabeth planter (Prance family). At the time the first Jonathan Bainbridge Burrowes was born (1830) MSJ actually owned a slave child she named William Burrowes. I believe JBB was her ownly child, and was likely illegitimate.
I have not been able to confirm who William was, and have several possibilities. My best bet is a William S Burrowes descended from the St Mary Burrowes' who owned an estate called "Villa" in St Mary, which was across the road from John Bainbridge's Allepo estate. I believe that there might have been a marriage connection between these families, hence the use of Bainbridge as a middle name for MSJ's son. WSB was related to Pink Elizabeth Burrowes (Pear Tree Grove/Woodside/Rock Spring area in St Mary - she being descended from an even older Jamaican family - the Parkers), the widow of older William Burrowes, Deputy Marshall of St Catherine who died in 1799. WSB was likely related to Edward Marchant Burrowes (Golden Grove)
These Burrowes are not related to the William Robert Percy Burrowes who was a British medic, and who also had a Bertram as a descendant.
ravidya

Postby Dee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi Ravidya
Have you received the tree I sent you a few weeks ago? I have JBB Sr's mother as Ruth Prouse, according to the not always accurate LDS site. My grandfather was Thomas, whom I think was the second son of JBB sr. I sent you my contact info in an email, if not your mother-in-law may have it. If you want to communicate with me directly, we can hash out a few things together as we are both searching for the same thing. The St. Mary Burrowes is a tree onto itself, but I suspect that they may be descended from my grandfather.
Please check you linkedIn inbox for my private info.
Dee
Dee

Postby JohnW » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi Chris/All. We are actually doing research on both Bertram Burrowes and 2 of his sons: James & William, as all 3 were cricketers for Wolmer's Boys' School and we are doing a small project.

We would love to share what little we have gleaned and also to learn from others more accomplished in this effort as their contribution to the cricketing legacy at Wolmer's is second to none.

We also would love to, wherever they are, talk to members of their families by phone or Skype as this project is taking on a life of its own and quite interesting the 'mottley crew' that has played cricket for the school at the senior level. We are new to this so not sure if photos an be posted within theforum's rules' confines, if so I will; if not, I am willing to share what we have if anyone can enhance our work.

JohnW
JohnW

Postby bimjim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm

JohnW wrote:We would love to share what little we have gleaned and also to learn from others more accomplished in this effort as their contribution to the cricketing legacy at Wolmer's is second to none.

We also would love to, wherever they are, talk to members of their families by phone or Skype as this project is taking on a life of its own and quite interesting the 'mottley crew' that has played cricket for the school at the senior level. We are new to this so not sure if photos an be posted within theforum's rules' confines, if so I will; if not, I am willing to share what we have if anyone can enhance our work.

Feel free to share text or photos here, John, but if it is at all possible try to link the photos to another server so mine does not take the load. When it asks for the address on your hard drive, just paste in the URL and it should work. If it does not then you have no alternative but to upload them, not a problem.

I suggest that passing any contacts here be done via PM (Private Message). I do not allow emails here for the very simple reason that it generates SPAM to the person whose email is Posted, and after that it constantly increases in volume and never stops.

Happy to have connected you all - good luck with your research!
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby JohnW » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks BIMJIM.. This probably will be the only photo I'll post ... after that I'll share with people as they ask
Attachments
jb.jpg
JohnW

Postby dlanod » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm

justjo wrote:Hello, one and all

A very Happy 2010 to you all.

I am researching a great- great.

Major Edward Lewis Burrowes (four, 4, names not title! :) ) Born 1810 Kingston, Jamaica.. His father, Mathew Burrowes was a 'Surgeon', His mother a Sarah Hawes. Any information or leads would be most appreciated. ( And a clue to the identity of the real Major Edward Lewis would satisfy my curiosity.. I am wondering if he wasn't a local hero/antihero of note. :) )

I live in on the other side of our ball, so please know, if i haven't answered immediately, I will get back to you..

With many thanks bimjim for the opportunity to post this. Regards to you all.. Jo

Allan wrote:Hi,
My name is Allan Burrowes.
I am also a Great, Great..... of Major Edward Lewis Burrowes. As you are no doubt aware Major is his first name not a rank. He was in the British Army in Ceylon before returning to England and migrating to Australia in 1839. He worked as contract surveyor in New South Wales before moving to Queensland and becoming the Deputy Surveyor General. He died in Brisbane.
I live Collaroy, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
If you wish to reply and let me know more about yourself we may be able to exchange Email addresses.
Do you have any details of M.E.L.'s forebears?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Great-* of Mary Reid Burrows here, sister of MEL. Just letting the two of you know that familysearch.org has been updated with the christening records of the family. It made life a lot easier because until yesterday I had reached a dead end at Mary Reid for a long time.

Father: William Robert Burrowes, attached to the York Light Infantry Volunteers (noted as acting surgeon).
Mother: Sarah Amy Hawes

Children:
Major Edward Lewis 1810 (img to Australia)
Matthew James 1812
Henry 1814
Sarah Ann 1817
William 1819
Anne 1820 (img to Australia)
Robert Paul 1822
Mary Reid 1824 (img to Australia)

If anyone has any more information about William and Sarah that they know of/can find, e.g. marriage, birth and death dates, any immigration notes, etc, that would be greatly appreciated!
dlanod

Postby vbc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi,

My family are from St. Anns, Jamaica, my granduncle Rudolph Burrowes (aka Jack Burrowes) had owned and operated the printery in Priory.

I was told that I'm a descendant of the great Marcus Garvey, Godfather Alfred Burrowes (otherwise known as Captain Burrowes). who owned the printery in St. Anns.

My father's name is Canute Burrowes, his father died before he was born. As you know in those days, fathers' names were not places on birth certificates, my father doesn't know much of his family background, our only link is my GrandUncle, Uncle Jack, for which I think two of his sons names are Claudie and Wayne.
vbc

Postby Phancy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:57 am

Hello VBC,
My family is from St Anns as well and your post references both my Great Uncle Jack and my Great Grandfather, Alfred E. Burrowes. Sorry to inform you that you are not related to the great Marcus Garvey as there are no blood ties shared between our families. The Godfather title that he bestowed upon Great Grandfather is an honorary designation. Though I wasn't present at his funeral, I was given a copy of (Great) Uncle Jacks obituary by one of his sons, our cousins. Can you be a bit more specific about your background? What is your Grandmothers name? What is your father's approximate age? I relayed your information to one of (Great) Uncle Jack' sons and he failed recognize the name but his recall might improve with additional information. He used to hold the position of Justice of the Peace in the St Anns Bay area and is a bit older than I am so I deferred to him. I understand that Claudie died last year. We never met but I knew of him. I will have to contact my brother and another of Uncle Jacks sons who have relocated to the US, to see if they can assist in unraveling this mystery. As it stands, I have yet to uncover a brother of Rudolph Jack Burrowes but the information has to be out there somewhere.
Phancy

Postby Phancy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Dear VBC,

Is it possible that your father was born on Dec 20th and his Mother's name is Maud?
Phancy

Postby pamjoan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:44 pm

dlanod:

re: William Robert Burrowes and Sarah Amy Hawes

Perhaps you have already found the info you are looking for. Sarah is probably the daughter of Matthew Hawes and Sarah Goodwin, she was born in London in 1788. She is William's second wife. The first I believe was Helen Moore - that marriage was in London in 1801. They [William and Helen] had two children - one in England and one in Jamaica. All those records are on FamilySearch and Ancestry. I can't find deaths for any of them. Does anyone have any information on William? Birth/parents?
pamjoan

Previous

Return to Surnames B