BRIDGES - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BRIDGES - Jamaica

Postby bernice » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:05 am

Would anyone have information of a Mrs Bridges, formerly Widow Shannan? her daughter Sarah named her son William Bridges Maclachlan in 1862 her stepfathers name is his middle name. lived at Valley Minor / or Edgecombe St Anns, there were also daughter officially Sarah Elizabeth Blanche, we think went by either latter name & mabelle married name Clark or Grant who we would like to trace. thanx
bernice

Re: BRIDGES - Jamaica

Postby Hew » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Bernice
Came across your enquiry by accident. I have plenty of info on the Shannans, Maclachlans and a bit about Bridges I can share. My gt gt grandmother was a sister of Archibald Campbell Shannan. I'd like to find out more about him and about his wife whose maiden name i don't know. I think she may have been the owner of Valley Minor. My great grandfather's diary refers to the marriage of Sarah Shannan to Robert Steele Maclachlan in 1856. I'd be happy to help.
Hew Shannan Stevenson
Hew

Postby bernice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Hew,
I think you know Diane Masclachlan Brown, whom I am helping research with internet searches, we have since got a few films of Jamaica from IGI & a checked a reference book titled"vital records/ statistics from jamaica daily gleaner" by Madeleine E Mitchell, We have thought of contacting her to see if she knows anymore?
On these records of thebaptisms of Maclachlan children their mother is referred to as wife Sarah Morris, & her mothers name was Sarah so believe Archie Campbell Shannan's wifes maiden name may have been Morris (it is sometimes mis-spelt (sh) We dont know what happened to William Bridges Maclachlan, but have now know they had 5 children & have the daughters marriages. address Valley Minor,
Also is the mystery of William Walker Maclachlan dying age abt 20 in Kingston from bowel disease?? We tried to find the remarriage to Bridges but have had no success hence this thread. btw, I now have Robert Steel Maclachlan who married his cousin back in England from India.
Have you any more information on the Shannons deaths I did get 2 kingston films but no reference to our families
thanx for your reply
cheers Bernice
bernice

Postby annemr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:23 am

I have a death certificate dated 1896 for Ann Gordon Young at Valley Minor, and the witness to the death is Sarah Morris MacLachlan. Sarah is the niece of Ann Gordon Young.

Would you have seen Ann Gordon Young in your research of the Shannan, MacLachlan or Bridges families?

Many thanks.
Anne Reichart
annemr

Postby Hew » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

That's very interesting. I had not come across Ann Gordon Young but she must have been a sister of Sarah Morris McLachlan's mother. Sarah's parents were my gt gt gt uncle Archibald Campbell Shannan (b. 1803, d. between 1836 and 1838) and his wife Sarah Archer Morris (who married, as her second husband, Joseph Bridge). I have wanted to find Sarah Archer Morris's parents and any further details about Ann Gordon Young might lead to the answer. The only other clue I have found is in an old family letter I have dated 1856 that refers to Mrs Bridges being about to sail for England and that she was going to "visit a niece in Somerset". Perhaps the Morrises came from there? Howver, it seems that it was Mrs Bridge (or Bridges?) and not either of her husbands who owned the Jamaica properties of Mount Edgumbe and Valley Minor so they may have been a family with earlier Jamaica connections.
Please let me know if you have any ideas or further info. What is your interest in this family?
Hew
Hew

Postby annemr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:29 pm

My apologies for the long delay.

Unfortunately, I know little about Ann Gordon Young. I have a record of Alexander Young and Ann Gordon having two children, but realise it's unlikely to be the same lady. Their children were born in 1845 and 1847, but Alexander would have been 30 years younger than Ann Gordon Young.

However, one of my relatives is married to a Shannon descendant who was born in Barbados.

Thanks
Anne
annemr

Return to Surnames B