BLAND, William, Trinidad, Early 1800s.

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BLAND, William, Trinidad, Early 1800s.

Postby BlandTree » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 am

My gt-gt-grandfather, William BLAND, emigrated from England to Trinidad not long after 1820 to seek his fortune. At some time after 1825 he wrote to his wife to tell her that he had 30 people working for him & that he had made enough money and would soon be home to look after his family. His secretary, a man named John CLARKE, was helping him to settle up his business in Trinidad.

The next news received was to the effect that William BLAND had been stricken with Yellow Fever, died and was buried all on the same day, and that John CLARKE, the trusted secretary, had taken everything of value and disappeared.

I am seeking William BLAND's death certificate in the hope that it will give the name of his father, which is not given on his marriage certificate in England. Without this I cannot trace the family back any further and I have been stuck at this point for nearly 20 years! Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

I would also be very pleased to hear of any information about William BLAND's life and business in Trinidad, if such records still exist. The only clue that I can give to this is that he was a millwright, so could he have been operating a mill to do with the sugar industry?

Thank you for reading this. Malcolm Bland (Yorkshire, England.)
BlandTree

Return to Surnames B