Merchant seaman St Vincent Island

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

RE BRADSHAW'S

Postby TERRIE » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:36 pm

EMILY, You haven't given me Much to go on, I will at least need to know where in St Vincent he is from, and if possible his parents name,
As the BRADSHAW'S is a Big family, well as a matter of fact the whole of my Family , with all those names are BIG, Did he mention which part of St Vincent he is from, and other than his name , any other names even , grand parents or his Parents names, if you could get those , I might be able to help you and what year he was born, have you a Birth Certificate for him, or any othere kind of papers to show any thing else, if you can get any other little information, I might be able to help you, it will give me some thing to go on, see if you can get any other information, and when were he at sea, and get back to me OK,
GOD BLESS
TERRIE

Re: Merchant seaman St Vincent Island

Postby Emily » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:12 am

Hi Terrie
I am so sorry it as taken so long to reply, I had almost given up trying to find out about my fathers family. I know his father was called David and he was an engineer from Canada, his mother was from Portugal, he had sisters but I am not sure what there names were I think one was called Pearl and another Ruby, he also had a Brother I have a photo of them together.
Before he married my mother Alice May Sharples in England he was married to a woman in America called July which he met when he was in the merchant navy.
His first name was Steadman he was born 14.4.1904 -1970 as far as I know he lived in Brazil for a while.
When he was in the merchant navy the ship that he was supposed to be on went down with all hands on deck, and when he returned to the West Indies they were having a memorial service for him. He was a boson at sea and was at sea for about 26 years so he must have joined early, he was at sea when he met my mother in the war time in Liverpool England.
I am sorry that is all I can give you to go on as he never talked much about his young days. but I know before he died he longed to go Back to St Vincent the place of his Birth,

Kind Regards
Emily
Emily

Re: Merchant seaman St Vincent Island

Postby bimjim » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:50 am

There is a whole section here on Useful Links... perhaps the most useful - and where most people start - is the Mormons' IGI (International Genealogical Index) database on-line. I must warn you, though, that this is only a starting reference - because they accept unverified uploads from anyone who wants to do so, to be sure you MUST verify the information you find there with other sources. The very records you find in the IGI may well provide the location where you can verify them.

To search just a specific COUNTRY, go here and insert just the surname, then select the country. The IGI will return ALL records they have with that surname and country, plus perhaps a few others thrown in...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... esults.asp

To search just a specific REGION, go here and insert just the surname, then select the region (in our case, Caribbean Islands). The IGI will return ALL records they have with that surname and region...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

Please do not forget that a place like Guyana is considered a Caribbean country, but is in fact in South America. And when you are done searching everywhere else, take the time to look in the countries and regions such as "World Miscellaneous", "Born At Sea", etc... you never know where perfectly good records may be hiding!!

Maximum results on each of these resources run to about 5,000, so you are likely to find what you are looking for. However the IGI does not contain ALL known records, so if you don't find what you are looking for don't give up - it may be added at a later date.

Finally, if you ever come across a good researcher in the Caribbean region, please ask them to contact me. I keep getting requests for research and researchers but researchers are few and far between - I provide FREE listings as well as FREE SPAM-free internet contact forms for their exclusive use.

HTH

Best,
Jim Lynch
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames B