REID - Jamaica, Trelawny, Bunkers Hill

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

REID - Jamaica, Trelawny, Bunkers Hill

Postby Tarak67 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 am

I am looking for information on my great great grand parents William Reid and his wife Mary Reid.

William Reid's name was seen on my great grand parents marriage certificate dated 30 January 1866 as shown below.
    Husband: George Needham occupation Mason aged 25 years : father Robert Needham
    Wife: Mary Ann Reid occupation not stated aged 25years : father William Reid.

I would like any information on William Reid. I have nothing about his wife's maiden name so unable to search.

My search has proved difficult because of the various spelling of Reid on documents and the many William Reid. However on the marriage certificate the spelling was Reid. The information for Bunkershill has also proved extremely difficult and limited. Any ideas to narrow things down to make some progress greatly appreciated.
Tarak67

Re: REID - Jamaica, Trelawny, Bunkers Hill

Postby annemr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:40 am

Hello Tarak67

I have been trying to untangle the Reid's/Reeds/Reads for quite a while.

I too have a William and Mary Reed in my research but 100 years earlier than yours and from another parish. I think many of the Reeds are interconnected but their tendency to name their children after each other makes it very difficult.

Bunkers Hill was owned by George Reid jnr and originally it was called Studely Park. Bunkers Hill passed into the ownership of Sir Charles Oakley, George Reid's father-in-law, as George Reid jnr owed him ALOT of money.

There is a Facebook group dedicated to researching the Reeds/Reid's. It's called Reid's of Westmoreland/Trelawny/Lucea.

Kind regards
Anne
annemr

Re: REID - Jamaica, Trelawny, Bunkers Hill

Postby Tarak67 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Anne,
Thank you for the information you posted. I will look into the Facebook group. It is difficult as I stated because I think there is more than one William Reid within my Reid family so I have to be very careful and check dates. I think there could be a grandfather, son and grandson called William Reid. I will see how far I get joining the dots. Thank you again.
Tarak67

Return to Surnames R