Ruddock/Riddock Family Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Ruddock/Riddock Family Jamaica

Postby cebrice » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:08 pm

Researching Ruddock/Riddock Family Westmoreland Jamaica.
May have connection back to Scotland.
Last edited by cebrice on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cebrice

Ruddock/Riddock Jamaica, Westmoreland,

Postby cebrice » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:22 pm

It appears to me from my very preliminary research that the Jamaican Ruddock ancestor name was "Riddoch". Other versions of the name in Jamaica since the 1700s: Ruddock, Riddock, Ruddick. Currently mostly Ruddock.
Last edited by cebrice on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cebrice

RUDDOCK/RIDDOCK, Jamaica- Westmoreland

Postby cebrice » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:31 pm

It is said that all Jamaican Ruddocks are related.
The name has a Scottish connection.
It is said that 3 Riddoch/Ruddock brothers emigrated from Scotland. One went to Jamaica, one to Trinidad/Tobago and one to the Bahamas probably in the mid to late 1700s (? John, Colin and Alexandar ???)
Last edited by cebrice on Thu May 05, 2011 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
cebrice

Re: Ruddock/Riddock Family Jamaica

Postby cebrice » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 am

Thanks very much. We are trying to trace further back,
Last edited by cebrice on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
cebrice

Postby Clouston » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm

I wonder if the family may have originated in the Riddoch/Ruddach brothers who came from Orkney. Thomas went to Tobago and Charles to Jamaica. Charles apparently went to work on the Laing family estates at Pindar's River, Seven's and St Toolie's.
I don't know what children they had but later generations seems to have included Elizabeth Ruddach, who married a son of Benedict Arnold. I have more information on the family's Orkney connections, if you are interested.
Clouston

Postby cebrice » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Cloustan, thanks for your post. Just came across it. I wonder if there is a link here?
Please send me what you know of the Orkney connection. Maybe we can help piece this all together.
Thanks so much.
cebrice

Postby Clouston » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Alexander Riddoch was a minister in Kirkwall, Orkney. A date of birth isn't given but he died 4 December 1763, aged about 45. On 7 April 1752 he married Cecilia Steuart, also from Kirkwall.

She was very well-connected - her brother Charles was a successful businessman in Norfolk, Virginia and was appointed Receiver General of British North America. He seems to have taken on the responsibility of helping his nephews make their way in the world. I've found mention of three nephews - Thomas, Charles and Alexander, whose surname seems to have changed from Riddoch to Ruddach.

Thomas went to Virginia in 1771 and when things began to look unsettled there, his uncle found him a place in Tobago. His brother James had already been found a place in Jamaica, on an estate owned by another Orkney family, the Laings.

Charles Ruddach married a widow, Elizabeth Macfarlane and they had a son George. When Charles died, she married again and her son by that marriage, Louis Edward Nolan, carried the controversial message that led to the Charge of the Light Brigade, in which he died.

Thomas Ruddach's will is in the archive here in Orkney. It is a little hard to make out but the only bequest to a descendant seems to be to a daughter whose mother was a slave.

There are on-line mentions of an Alexander Ruddach of Tobago, whose daughter married Benedict Arnold's son but I haven't managed to connect him to the three brothers.
Clouston

Postby cebrice » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the information.
Last edited by cebrice on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cebrice

Postby cebrice » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Have not been able to make the connections yet of the Riddoch/Ruddock name from Scotland to Jamaica. I have found a John Riddoch arriving in Jamaica 1771. Death in Dec 23, 1801, reported in Edinburgh (The Scot's Magazine) as "brother of George Riddoch, a writer in Glasgow, who predeceased him".
Appears George had also been to Jamaica and his daugther, Margaret died in 1801
Also there is a : Riddoch, James. Died at Montego Bay, Jamaica, on 10 Sept. 1796; "late of Glenislay".

If any one has any more information I would be much appreciative.
Thanks
cebrice

Postby cebrice » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Clouston wrote:Alexander Riddoch was a minister in Kirkwall, Orkney. A date of birth isn't given but he died 4 December 1763, aged about 45. On 7 April 1752 he married Cecilia Steuart, also from Kirkwall.

Thomas went to Virginia in 1771 and when things began to look unsettled there, his uncle found him a place in Tobago. His brother James had already been found a place in Jamaica, on an estate owned by another Orkney family, the Laings

[color=#0040BF][i][b]What was the name of the Laing estate in Jamaica where James Riddoch/Ruddach worked?
cebrice

Return to Surnames R