ROACH, Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ROACH, Barbados

Postby angelic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 am

Hi i'm angel and i am looking for any lead at all on a Victor Roach who was not born in, but came to barbados. He came to barbados with possibly grand father ? Abraham & grandmother? Elizabeth, it is possible his fathers name was also Victor.....he eventually came to Nfld Canada, and story is he ran away after an arguement, stowed away in a molasses barrel on a ship from Barbados, hired by Bomic of Greenspond...he was found, kept on board, and ended up in Nfld. Any info on this name or the family would be very much appreciated:)
angelic

Postby bimjim » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 am

Some dates would probably help...
bimjim
Site Admin

Roach, barbados

Postby angelic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:50 pm

hehe sorry about that......as far as i can tell Victor was born about 1855, possible wales, i have not found a birth for him as of yet....he would have been a teeneager when he stowed away so possible the 1870's....he was married To Alice Genge in Nfld in 1881......so this is the time i am looking at......so far i can find nothing on a victor roach.......so i thought someone out there might have a tidbit.....i wish i could be more concise on the dates.....thanks......angel:)
angelic

Postby bimjim » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Could you have the name wrong or could Victor have "adjusted" his last name so his pursuers could not find him as easily?

Fortunately, the IGI (International Genealogical Index) uses a name grouping called Soundex (also lists names that sound alike), and it lists an Abraham that could have been Victor's great-grandfather... and names do tend to be repeated in a family.

1. ABRAHAM ROCH - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Will: 05 JAN 1684 Rhoscrowther, Pembroke, Wales

Drilling down that link shows...

ABRAHAM ROCH
Male
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents:
Father: JOHN ROCH Family
Mother: MRS-JOHN ROCH

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

There are lots of "Roach" individuals and variations (Roch, Roche, etc.), if you leave off the Christian name, but no Victors... I got past 1,000 records and gave up - too many to list here.

Soundex is explained here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundex

The Soundex for Roach is R200.
bimjim
Site Admin

Roach, barbados

Postby angelic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm

i see what your saying about the names carrying through...it looks like he had a brother Edward...and he did have a middle name of John.....i have no idea how he may of been listed, once he reached here he went by Victor......i am so appreciative of the information you did send, and i am . searching now so i will look at the links you sent me.....so hard to trace something your relying solely on the memories of those here with only verbal history.....victor had a son victor, and his brother edward married Ellen ? and they named their son Edward born 1876 in St. John's Nfld.......i will try searching it as john and see what i get.....thanks again
angelic

Roach, barbados

Postby angelic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:50 am

hi we found a letter telling a few facts about victor, and it says he left for barbados with his uncle who had a molasses plantation there, and he may have done so at an early age 4-5 ?, why we went no one knows, but when older, possibly early teens after an arguement he left stowed away on a boat ......my grandmother says he was very secretive about his past....not one to talk about things.......she says his middle name was james or john, not sure which one now, and she seems to think he might have had a sister back in wales,,,,,on i look :)my nan is 88 and said no one really spoke about those things that she can remember....if they only knew how hard it was to figure out now...
angelic

Postby bimjim » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I suggest you use the IGI - it uses the Soundex automatically unless you select otherwise - and search all parts of the world where he may have been. When you see a similar name, "drioll down" to the next level with the links you see and you may find more infor to give you clues about of that person may or may not be related.

Other places to use are genesreunited.co.uk, Facebook has a family tree application, and maybe even a straight Google seatch using all variations of the name in quotes - such a "John Roach", "John Roch" - and other keywords you know are attached to the individual you are looking for (like places, other relatives, etc.

There is a site for the names of Ellis Island immigratants, and I am sure there are other avenyes you can explore - it just takes a bit of imaginationm and donlt be afraid to follow other clues and leads along the way.

Oh, and KEEP NOTES. Don'tr rely on your memory to remember everything important.

Best,
Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: ROACH, Barbados

Postby bimjim » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi...

I put your name into genesreunited.co.uk and made enquiries based on the matches found there. Here's my query and a response...

If you want me to put you in touch, I can ask the person to contact you on this Index and you can take it from there. Please let me know...

Jim

--

Victor ROACH (1856) 15/02/2009 20:35:30

Was your Victor Roach born in Wales? I have someone on the Caribbean Surname Index who is looking for that name as a lad born about 1855 who came to Barbados on a ship with relatives Abraham (or Victor) and Elizabeth, possibly grandparents. The lad then stowed away on a ship to Newfoundland.

--

This certainly appears to be the same person. I don't have a birth place for him but his children were born in Newfoundland.

--
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby stampman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 am

I am responding to your Roach, Barbados posted last Febuary, I just happened across it today. My great grandfather was Victor Roach, the story i have is he was one of a couple of survivors from a shipwreck off the coast of Newfoundland. This occur near Howling Rock. He stowed abord a ship in Barbados and came ashore in a beer keg in 1861 . He was taken in by a Captain Abraham Kean of Wesleyville Newfoundland. He moved to Cull;s harbor ,Newfoundland and married Alice Geange. They had 5 sons and 3 daughters the sons were Nathan, Issac(my Grandfather), Mortimer, Samuel and Victor, the Daughters Sarah, Agnes, and Grace. Issac married Alice Samson my grandmother and they had Alexandra, ethel { my mother] Daphne Victor {my uncle} and Douglas {my uncle} by another marrige. All of this information was compiled by one of my relatives and sent to my mother who gave me a copy of it before she passed. I visited Newfoundland with my mother in the early 1980's however all of the contact information was lost. My uncles Victor and doug were alive and related a lot of stories about great grandfather Victor. I am not 100% sure this is the Victor you are talking about but it sure sounds like him. Stampman
stampman

Postby AEA Porter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello: My name is Sandi - and I too have been trying to find out information on Victor Roach, his father Abraham Roach b. 1800 England.

Abraham Roach as having a father by the name of Michael Roach.

I do have some records of the slaves that were transported from England to the Barbados for the plantations, but am unable to locate any information on his birth place.

Any information that you may be able to supply me with would be greatly appreciated.
AEA Porter

Return to Surnames R