Roosevelt, Statia

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Roosevelt, Statia

Postby hill0788 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Adolphus Roosevelt married Elizabeth Dekker, had two daughters, Sarah and Catherine.

They moved from New York sometime after 1763 to ST. Eustatia Island. They were Dutch and descendants of the same man, Claes Van Rosenvelt and Jannetje Thomas, as were Teddy and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

There is supposed to be a Roosevelt Plantation on Statia (St. Eustatius). Catherine Roosevelt married James Amory, but I cannot find a marriage date for them. Can anyone please help me?

Thank you, Beth Hill
hill0788

Re: Roosevelt, Statia

Postby Badminton » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 pm

In case you don't have these; taken from the St. Eustatius baptismal and marriage records.

Parents shown as Adolphus and Elisabeth Roseveldt:
8 November 1771 Sara Roseveldt was baptised on Statia. No birth date given. Godparents: Doeke Groebe, Johanna Groebe, Unknown Groebe, Catharina Groebe, Jacobus Bercley, Margaret Barcley.
28 February 1776 Sarah Groebe Roseveldt was baptised on Statia. No birth date given. Godparents: Isaac Rosevelt and wife, Nicolaas Ten Tooren, Anna Groebe, Francois Rovelet, Catharina Maria Ten Toren.

Parents shown as Adolphus Roseveldt and Elisabeth Doeke Groebe:
7 December 1777 Maria Wilhelmina was baptised on Statia. No birth date given. Godparents: de Heer Alexander Lejeune, Secretary; His wife, Maria Lejeune, nee [Huisman].

3 September 1811 death of Elisabeth Roseveldt born Groebe aged 71years.
Badminton

Re: Roosevelt, Statia

Postby hill0788 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:11 am

No, I did not have that information
Thank you very much. The name Roseveldt was anglicized to Roosevelt when the family came to the USA.
Again, thank you.

Beth Hill
hill0788

Return to Surnames R