Ricards/Ricketts - St Elizabeth, Bluefield Ft, Ridgefield Pl

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: Ricards/Ricketts - St Elizabeth, Bluefield Ft, Ridgefield Pl

Postby Sunkissed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

I sent this reply to David's posting:

Hi David,
I have quite a bit on info on the Ricketts/Ricard family in Jamaica and then to America. My information on previous generations is from Burkes Landed Gentry... 1853 edition: "Colonel Thomas Ricards, a gallant soldier in the army of Charles I., was killed in support of the royal cause, at the siege of Lichfield. He m. Elizabeth Rugeley, of Rugeley, in Staffordshire, (of the ancient family of Rugeley, and a descendant of Simonde Rugeley, of Hawkesyard, near Rugeley, so. Stafford, who, Dugdale says, "being sheriff of the counties of Salop and Stafford in 1336, had the castle of Salop committed to his custody,") and had two sons, John, who d. without issue, and William Ricards, Esq., a capt. in Cromwell's army, who, accompanying the expedition under Penn and Venables, was present the conquest of Jamaica, in 1655, and subsequently obtained the command of Bluefield's fort in that island. His commission having been made out in the name of Ricketts, he and his descendants have ever since retained that designation. He m. about 1672, Mary, dau. of __ Goodwin, Esq., a younger son of Sir Francis Goodwin,* and the Lady Elizabeth Grey, only dau. of Arthur, fourteenth Lord Grey de Wilton, by his lordship's first wife, Dorothy Zouch (see Burke's Extinct Peerage,) by whom (who d. in 1758, at the advanced age of 96) he had issue,
John, dsp
William...[see his notes]
Jacob, d.without issue
George.[his lineage is detailed in this article]
Benjamin, dsp
Oswald, capt. RN., lost on the rocks of Bermudas
Violetta, d. unmarried
Rachel, m. to Thomas Johnson, Esq., and had issue
Captain William Ricketts d. in 1700, leaving his wife his executrix and sole guardian of his children..."
***Note*** earlier edition says they married in 1639 which is not possible.

This information has been disputed....especially the statement that Mary Goodwin was the granddaughter of Sir Francis Goodwin. Other sources say that Col Thomas Ricards had a third son, James.

I'd be interested in your research of the Gloucestershire/Somerset/Bristol area Ricards.
Kind regards,
Sunkissed

Return to Surnames R