PICKERING - Barbados, St. Michael

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

PICKERING - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby Aliena » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Hello -

I am looking for information about my paternal ancestors, surname PICKERING. Here's what I know so far:

Leslie Fitzgerald Pickering (my grandfather) born on December 16, 1895 in St. Michael, Barbados. He died on February 7, 1946 and is buried in Westbury Cemetary in Barbados. At the time of his death his occupation was recorded as "Provisions Dealer". His cause of death is believed to be related to complications from pneumonia.

James Francis Pickering (my great grandfather) born about 1860 in Barbados. He died on December 15, 1945. At the time of his death his occupation was recorded as "Shopkeeper". (I understand from other relatives that he and my great grandmother owned a series of grocery markets.) He is buried in Westbury Cemetary.

Albertha Cleoda Pickering (my great grandmother) born about 1868 in Barbados. Died on June 16, 1947. Also buried in Westbury Cemetary. (I do not know Albertha's maiden name.)

James and Albertha had 7 other children, all born in Barbados, including:

Blanche Ianthe
Inez Lamonta
Constance Ledora born in 1886 (I have been able to trace some information leading me to believe she travelled to the U.S. & perhaps remained there.)
Jacob Emmanuel, born 1888 and died 1946
Joseph Augustus, born 1891 and died 1955
Samuel Adonijah, born 1895 and died 1983
George Nathaniel born 1897
Elcina Germain born 1899 and died 1988

According to family lore the majority of my "Pickering" ancestors were shopkeepers and merchants in Barbados. While I still have family there, many don't know a lot about this side of my family as my grandfather died when my father was a toddler, and he and his family were not involved in my father's life.

Thank you in advance for any information or suggestions you may offer. I am a new member, and whenever I am able I will offer my assistance. Admittedly my access to documents from the Caribbean have been limited thus far, but I'm happy to share what I have, and use the resouces I have access to, to help. :D
Aliena

Return to Surnames P