OAKEY - Guyana, Demerara

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

OAKEY - Guyana, Demerara

Postby othams » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:41 am

I am seeking information about the Oakey family of Demerara. John Henry Schneider Oakey married Meriah Hollingworth in England in 1808, and they had a daughter named Meriah/Myrah born 19 August 1809, and baptised 12 November 1809, also in England. They were in Demerara between at least 15 May 1813 (when JHS Oakey signed an address to the Governor) and January 1828 (when THS Oakey subscribed to the Duke of York's Monument).

In 1817 JHS Oakey purchased a property apparently with vendor finance described as "Concession or Lots No 67 and 68, situate on the north side of Stabroek district."

The daughter married John White in England in 1834, and the Whites migrated to South Australia in 1836 and subsequently re-located to New South Wales (another Australian State), where they lived for the rest of their lives.

After their arrival in Australia, they were joined by Meriah Oakey, who died at Bathurst New South Wales on 13 October 1860. It is believed but not confirmed that JHS Oakey died in Demerara between 1828 and 1834.
othams

Re: OAKEY - Guyana, Demerara

Postby jffiske » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:28 pm

I think your John Henry Schneider Oakey may have been a brother of my great-great grandmother Elizabeth Eliza Oakey. She married James Dugdale, a cabinetmaker who joined the Army and disappeared at the Battle of Salamanca in 1812.

My grandmother wrote a letter in 1896 to her son, giving him some family history he had requested, and she said that her father (Joseph Dugdale, b. 1812) and his siblings had been "parcelled out among the Oakeys," one of whom was in the publishing company Partridge & Oakey, and one had his own vessel, trading back and forth with Demerara.

I've managed to reconstruct Elizabeth Eliza's family: parents Benjamin and Martha (Francis) Oakey of Swansea, Wales, but can't find Benjamin's death or burial, and there are probably a couple of children still unidentified.

Because they were non-conformists (B. b a Quaker, Martha Baotist), they appear not to have bapt their children. One, John, was bapt with his own children much later in London.

I've come across JHS Oakey but hadn't looked at him seriously until today, when I found your post. Someone else in the family went to Australia but went back to England; she was the dau of John and Sarah (Fry) Oakey, thus a niece of EE and JHS. I think JHS was probably named after someone who shows up as a merchant in London in 1791.

Please communicate, and we can share what we know.
jffiske

Postby othams » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:17 pm

The record of baptism for John Henry Schneider (obtained from the Ancestry web-site) reads "1808 John Henry Schneider Oakey Son of Benjamin & Martha born Nov. 10 1788 & baptised July 8 1808." The adult baptism was about the time of his marriage, which occurred at Bermondsey in 1808 (I only have a Pallott index entry for this).

I should explain that I have not been researching the Oakeys generally. I am assisting with research for a proposed book and/or web-site on a ship called the Coromandel, which brought some of the first English settlers to South Australia, including the Whites (the daughter of JHS Oakey and her husband). My part in the research is to compile biographies of the passengers, at least 2 of whom (Meriah Oakey and Robert Younghusband) have turned out to have lived in Demerara.

The Whites have family traditions that JHS Oakey was the "Attorney General" of Demerara (the equivalent position in Demerara at the time seems to have been the 1st Fiscal) and a friend of the Governor (Sir Benjamin D'Urban), but I haven't been able to substantiate this. In the record of his daughter Meriah/Myrah's baptism, he is described as a grocer, which doesn't of course preclude him from having obtained legal qualifications later on.

The family traditions may well be right (they were put into writing by a granddaughter of Meriah/Myrah, who was born in the 1870s and was a young adult when Meriah/Myrah's husband died, so may well have heard the stories direct from her grandfather, who would have been relying on what the two Meriahs had told him many years before ;they both died in the 1860s, whereas he lived until 1904; he had never been to Demerara, and met his wife and her mother when they had returned to England), but I would like to get proof of them, before including them in the biography of the Whites.

I am sorry I cant help you with the Oakeys generally, but I hope what I have been able to tell you about JHS Oakey is useful, and that you may be able to tell me more about him.
othams

Postby jffiske » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm disappointed, of course, that you aren't descended from the family, but will be happy to help if I have any information that would be useful to you.

Do you know any descendants? From Ancestry, I have the birth date of 10 Nov 1788 at St John the Baptist, London -- which I THINK is St John Horsley down in Bermondsey. He and Meriah were married at St. Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, 10 July 1808, again from Ancestry, but I have seen these records elsewhere. I want to go back and verify that Martha is mentioned in the baptismal record; Ancestry doesn't mention Benjamin.

I'll write again, but must attend to dinner right now. Is there any way we can communicate more directly without breaking any of the rules of this forum? I'm new to it - found it and you and JHSO thru Google this morning.
jffiske

Postby bimjim » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:58 am

To communicate privately, with someone who has Posted, look to the right of THEIR Post for the PM icon, which looks like this Image.

Click on that icon, and it will take you to a Private Message form with the destination already set up, just type and send. No limitations on what can be in that message.

This form also allows attachments.

HTH

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby jffiske » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Thank you, Jim.
jffiske

Return to Surnames O