O'MEALLY - Jamaica, Ulster Spring

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Postby claremont » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 am

Patrick Mitchell O'Meally born c.1818, Spanish Town(?), Jamaica; but who were his parents/siblings? Had more than one wife, but finally married Eliza Margaret SICARD in 1861 and had 13 children including Eva, Eugenie, Lilian, Hepzibah, Martha, Louis, Herbert, Edith, etc. Was schoolmaster, then became a Baptist Minister, who resided in Ulster Spring, Trelawny for many years.

Anyone else on this hunt?
claremont

Re: O'MEALLY - Jamaica, Ulster Spring

Postby jennifer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:28 pm

I am sort of patrick was the son of john omeally and his frist wife then john maried a freed slave gitrl and had bridget ann and george thats my line maybe we can help each other jennifer
jennifer

Postby jennifer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

JAMES O'MEALLY was born 1847 in Croydon England, died in Kingston Jamaica BWI37. He married (1) Elsye DeSilva. He married (2) ANNE ISABELLE O'MEALLY in 1876 in Jamaica BWI.

Notes for JAMES O'MEALLY:
At the time his father and grandfather came to Jamaica this is the state of the Island:

1784 ALMANAC
ALMANAC AND REGISTER FOR THE ISLAND OF JAMAICA 1784

THE ISLAND OF JAMAICA
GRAND DIVISIONS:
I. COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX
II. COUNTY OF SURRY
III. COUNTY OF CORNWALL

ST. CATHERINE

St. Jago de la Vega, the county town of Middlesex, and the metropolis of the island, commonly called Spanish Town, stands in 18 degrees 1 sec. North latitude, and 76 degrees 45 sec. West longtitude, about a mile in length, and rather more than a quarter of a mile in breadth, contains between 500 and 600 houses, and about 4000 inhabitants of all colours and denominations. This town is situated in a delightful plain, and on the banks of the Rio Cobre, thirteen miles from Kingston, and ten from Port Royal; is the residence of the Commander-in Chief, and here the Supreme Court of Judicature is held four times in the year, viz. on the last Tuesdays in February, Mary, August, and November, and sits three weeks.

The village of Passage Fort, and six from Spanish Town, contains about 12 houses, and is a considerable barquadier or shipping-place for the parishes of St. Catherine, St. Thomas in the Vale, and St. John.

Port Henderson about 3 miles from Passage Fort, and 6 from Spanish Town, by the indefatigable and enterprising spirit of John Henderson, Esq., the proprietor, has of late grown into a considerable village, and greatly outrivals Passage Fort as a shipping place for the adjacent parishes; and as vessels can approach nearer to the wharf than at the former place, it is likely to preserve the superiority it has attained.

In this parish there are 11 sugar plantations, 108 pens, and about 10,000 slaves.

ST. DOROTHY

The town of Old Harbour contains about 30 houses; several ships load there for Great Britain, as the harbour is safe and

ST. THOMAS IN THE VALE

Contains upwards of 48 sugar-works, 47 other settlements, and above 8800 slaves.

KINGSTON

The town of Kingston was founded in the year 1693, when the repeated desolations, by earthquake and fire, had driven the inhabitants from Port Royal. It extends a mile from north to south, and about as much from east to west, on the harbour: it contains 1840 houses, besides negro houses and warehouses.

A great fire, in the beginning of the month of February, 1782, consumed upwards of 80 dwelling-houses and stores, with a number of other buildings of inferior note; but as many of them are now rebuilt, and other parts of the town filling up very fast, the number of buildings in 1784 will probably exceed that of any former year. The number of white inhabitants is about 5000, of free people of colour 1200, and of slaves about 8000: it is the county town, where the Assizes are held, in January, April, July, and October, and last a fortnight.

This parish contains no sugar plantation, and only twenty settlements, which are grass pens.

PORT ROYAL

The town of Port Royal, once a place of the greatest riches and importance in the West Indies, is now reduced, by repeated calamities, to 3 streets, a few lanes, and about 200 houses. It contains the Royal Navy Yard, for heaving down and refitting the King's ships; the Navy Hospital, and Barracks for a regiment of soldiers. The fortifications are in excellent order, and, when the plan upon which the additional works that are carrying on is completed, it will then vie, in point of strength, with an fortress in the King's dominions. This parish has 3 sugar-works, 21 other settlements, and about 2500 slaves.

ST. THOMAS IN THE EAST

Bath remarkable for the salubrity of its waters, contains but a few houses, not above 18. Morant Bay, a very considerable shipping place, has above 40 houses, and is growing very fast into the form of a town. Port Morant is also a considerable village, and has a fine deep harbour.

In this parish there are 188 sugar estates, 130 other settlements, and 29000 slaves.

PORTLAND

Port Antonio, or Titchfield, has a most excellent harbour for shipping, but does not count above 30 houses. Manchioneal harbour is capacious and secure, and the parish is settling fast.

There are in this parish only 60 sugar-works, 97 other settlements, and 10,800 slaves.

ST. GEORGE

n the whole County of Surry there are 350 sugar-works, 540 settlements 75,600 slaves and about 80,000 cattle

REVIEW OF THE STATE OF THE WHOLE ISLAND

Total

Negroes 255,700
Sugar estates 1061
Produce 105,400 hogsheads of sugar
Other settlements 2018
Cattle 224,500
20 Parishes, in which are 36 Towns and Villages, 18 Churches and Chapels, and about 23,000 white inhabitants.

1796 ALMANAC
JAMAICA LISTS

MIDDLESEX

MAGISTRATES ETC for MIDDLESEX
NOTE: The Members of Council, Speaker of the Assembly, Judges of the Grand Court, and Attorney General, are Judges in every Parish, and Judges of the Court of Common Pleas in the Island take probates of deeds.)

ST. CATHERINE'S PRECINCT

Containing the Parishes of St. Catherine, St. Thomas in the Vale, St. Dorothy and St. John.

The first time to see an O'Meally in the Ja. Web Jornal

Thomas J. Mytin
Angus McKay
John O'Meally
George Cuthbert
J. M. McCaa

In the records that I researched I found two brothers from which the O'Meally line in Jamaica radiates. Austin O'Meally and John O'Meally. John O'Meally was born cir. 1785 -1786 and died Nov. 1841. He is buried in St Thomas in the Vale. He was a planter by trade. His residence in 1833 as O'Meally's Pen. He married twice. His first brief marriage to an unknown woman.. produced a Patrick O'Meally b. 1818..and from this Patrick..who was the Baptist Minister who died cir. 1904... stems the family that you can find with his union to Marguerite Sicard posted at Family search.org..the Mormon LDS Church site. His second marriage, Mary Hanson. a free brown girl, produced two daughters Bridget b. 1827 and Ann Caroline B. 1832.

Austin O'Meally is recorded in a marriage in Kingston in 1801

Austin Omealley was born Abt. 1771 in County Vine [?], Ireland. He married Hannah Ramson March 05, 1801 in the Roman Catholic Church, Spanish Chapel, Kingston (Source: p. 5.). She was born Abt. 1764 in Cork, Ireland.

Barbara..who were the two brothers who came over on the HMS 1784 P,,was it John & James O'Meally??? that would make 3 brothers..John, James & Austin.

I am sorry if I am confusing you..I am just rambling trying to piece info together. If we can get James O'Meally death info in early 1900's..it will have leading info... to his parents...

There is a James Augustus o'Meally recorded as being born in Kingston in 1845

Omeily, James Augustus, b 12/22/1845, bap 8/19/1846 in Kingston by L. B. Turner. Res Love Lane. IV, p. 139. His residence is recorded as born in Loves Lane, Kingston... this is interesting..because when Edmund immigrated thru Ellis Island his mother Anne Isabbella O'Meally was recorded to be living as her residence Love Lane, Kingston.

But then again that would leave him born in Kingston..VERY confusing.

Again I am sorry if this is confusing you...I am just sharing any puzzle pieces I can..

Take Care,
Tim & Jeannie O'Meally

THE PARISH OF ST. CATHERINE

SPANISH TOWN

CITY DIRECTORY FOR THE YEAR 1878

ABBREVIATIONS.

In the following pages h stands for house, bds for boards, n for near, c for corner, r for rear, N for north, S for south, E for east, W for west. The word street is implied.

O

Odio Joseph, tobacconist, Adelaide n Young, h same
O'Meally James, solicitor, Adelaide c Martin, h Hanover
O'Meally Robert, bricklayer, h St. Thomas ye Vale road
Osborn Robert, proprietor Rest Pen

REGISTER OF VOTERS FOR 1860

ST. CATHERINE

Osborn, Robert
O'Meally, James
Oughton, Thomas
O'Meally, Robert

Petrie, David

Did you know that Lyn was adopted?

" Lyn on Brentford Road tells me that she is not an O'Meally but was adopted by them." (Inez)

In the R. M. Court of St. Ann

Between Richard Heming of St. Ann, plaintiff, and George White of St. Ann, butcher, defendant.

Motion by Mr. Omeally, Solicitor for the Plaintiff, for an order of sale of the defendant’s real estate in the town of St. Ann’s Bay, butting N and W on streets, S on William Watkis.

Signed, J. S. Thomas, Acting Clerk Courts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 6, 1878

Birth
At Spanish Town, on 2nd inst., the wife of James O'Meally, Esq., Solicitor, of a son.

December 19, 1872

Died
At Spanish Town, on the 10th instant, in the 25th year of her age, Eliza, the beloved wife of James O'Meally, Esq., junr., leaving a husband and infant of five months ..

1839 BAPTIST MISSIONARY SCHOOLS
Miss O'Meally, Lucky Valley, St.Thomas in the Vale
J. Ogborne, J. O'Meally, and Mrs. Ogborne, Sligo Ville, St. Catherine's
J. O'Meally, Taylor's Caymanas, St. Catherine's

More About JAMES O'MEALLY:

More About JAMES O'MEALLY and ANNE ISABELLE O'MEALLY:
Marriage: 1876, Jamaica BWI.

Children of JAMES O'MEALLY and Elsye DeSilva are:
+Arthur O'Meally.

Children of JAMES O'MEALLY and ANNE ISABELLE O'MEALLY are:
+CYRIL MC VIGOR O'MEALLY, b. 05 Jan 1881, St. Catherine Jamaica BWI38, 38, d. 14 Sep 1937, Chicago,Illinois39.
+EDMUND CONSTINDINE O'MEALLY, b. 21 May 1880, St. Andrews Bay40, d. 29 Jul 1988, Merrick, Nassau, New York, United States of America41.
+HAROLD COOKE O'MEALLY, b. 1878, St.Catherine Jamaica BWI, d. 1918.
+ALLEN GEORGE O'MEALLY, b. 1891, St.Catherine Jamaica BWI, d. 1947, CUBA.
+EDNA O'MEALLY, b., St. Catherine Jamaica BWI.
DORIS O'MEALLY, b., St.Catherine Jamaica BWI.
NESTA O'MEALLY, b., St. Catherine Jamaica BWI.
+SYLVIA O'MEALLY, b. 16 Dec 1896, St. Catherine Jamaica BWI.
SYDNEY O'MEALLY, b., St. Catherine Jamaica BWI.
ARTHUR O'MEALLY, b. 17 Mar 1903, St. Catherine Jamaica BWI.
jennifer

Postby claremont » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:38 am

Hello jennifer,

Thank you for the reply and info, some of which I had already come across.

Lots there to sort through - I find I have to put everything on paper to see what connects and what overlaps, so I will start there. One observation: there seem to have been two or more persons named John O'Meally and James O'Meally spanning the generations, but are they all connected? Particularly dubious about the person born in Croydon, UK, for instance.

Will get back to you, soon I hope,
claremont
claremont

Postby jennifer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 am

Thank you for answering. I'm interested because my great grandmother said that her grandmother was a freed slave, that's why your post has interested me

Jennifer
jennifer

Postby jennifer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:41 pm

hi we spoke about the omeallys on 2010 i asked about a beartice omeally i may have information that may be helpful message me

jennifer hart
jennifer

Postby hvermont » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 am

I will see if I can be of some help down the road. My Great Grandfather, Thomas Robert Bent Vermont, married Eva O'Meally. I have some information on Patrick, but my computer with my Genealogy information has crashed and I am not sure when I will be able to access the info on the hard drive.
hvermont

Postby stacey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:36 pm

My great grandfather's surname was O'meally from St. Catherine. I would be interested to know if you found out anymore information on O'Meally?
stacey

Postby fdy » Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I am researching James O'Meally (Approx 1844 - Nov 22 1900), married to Annie Isabel Cooke.
fdy

Return to Surnames O