NELSON - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

NELSON - Jamaica

Postby DrewW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 pm

I am starting work on my wife's ancestry tree. Her maternal line great-grandmother was a Nelson, and the family story is descendancy from Horatio Nelson (1758 - 1809). Anecdotal reports hint at more than just a nurse / patient relationship during his illness while he was here in 1779. I find nothing to suggest children resulted from any relationship, however his sole known daughter was born to a lover. I'm very interested in hearing from others researching Nelson surnames in Jamaica, especially investigating similar family connections with Horatio Nelson.
DrewW

Re: NELSON - Jamaica

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi, I have wondered about links to Horatio Nelson in my family as well.. so far ive only been able to trace back to my great great grandfather and his name was James Nelson in Clarendon Jamaica.. I was also told that my dad is nicknamed Paddy as he looked like his Irish grandfather or great great grandfather :/ what part of Jamaica arfe your Nelsons from?
Lisa
LisaMarie

Postby bimjim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_N ... unt_Nelson
While he did serve some time in Jamaica as a young officer, to the best of my knowledge and Wikipedia (later Admiral) Horatio Nelson married Frances Nisbet at Montpelier Estate in Nevis (next to St. Kitts) on 11 March 1787 and lived for a few months at Nisbet Plantation on that island. Nelson was returned to England in July of that year. There is no mention of his return to Jamaica.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks. I think the OP meant that Horatio was probably unfaithful to his wife throughout his marriage.. meaning it’s not impossible that a child was conceived at his time there.. I read differently about how often he was in Jamaica in Jamaic Gleaner article, I’ll post a link to it later.
LisaMarie

Return to Surnames N