Cromwell's Irish apprentices or slaves to the Caribbean?

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Cromwell's Irish apprentices or slaves to the Caribbean?

Postby Marie Owen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:36 am

Can anyone tell me if Cromwell sent any of his apprentices or slaves from ireland to Anegada (BVI) in the 1600's? or do you know where they were taken in the Caribbean?
Thank you Marie from oz
Marie Owen

Re: Cromwell's Irish apprentices or slaves to the Caribbean?

Postby lynnmarentette » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi.

I have a number of DNA matches who have ancestors scattered all around the Caribbean. I do have some Irish ancestry and would like to learn more details about exactly where Irish people were sent during Cromwell's time.

Thanks.
lynnmarentette

Postby bimjim » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:12 pm

The book "Irish-American Trade 1660-1783" by Thomas Truxes is in Google Books (free viewing access, good Index). Mostly free people, though, not necessarily Irish who were transported inindentured, although there is a solid 1.5 inches of index entry on "indentured".

"White Cargo" by Jordan and Walsh has a huge index segment on indextured, including names.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby barry » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 am

Supporting bimjim's comments, to my best knowledge (but happy to be corrected by references to academic or other serious research findings), there was no such thing as "Cromwell's Irish......slaves". Again, to my best knowledge, from the 17thC to emancipation in 1834, the slaves were African in origin - see
https://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Slavery_in ... in_Islands
You may be confusing "slaves" with indentured servants - the latter were mostly poor people from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and 'Germany' who pre-sold their services for 5 or 7 years to 'emigration agents' who in turn sold these people's indentures to planters or other 'masters' in the West Indies or North America. See http://caribbeanhistoryarchives.blogspo ... bbean.html
barry

Return to West Indies / Caribbean - not specific