Arthur Henry Beckles Gall (1870-1937)

Arthur Henry Beckles Gall (1870-1937)

Postby DOC » Tue May 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Arthur Henry Beckles Gall died at Waltham on 16th inst. He was the son of the late Arthur Gall at one time Treasurer of Grenada.

As a young man of seventeen, Mr. Gall started his planting career in Montreuil under his uncle the late Douglas Alexander. In a few years his planting ability was recognised and he was appointed Manager of Waltham in 1894 which position he held until his death.

Mr. Gall was of a quiet and retiring disposition, a man of sterling character, beloved and respected by all with whom he came in contact, for his generous, kind an straightforward manner towards life.

He was one of the finest planters that the West Indies had seen, and his opinion on all things agricultural was sought for, not only in this island [Grenada], but in the neighbouring islands of Trinidad and Tobago. It is no exaggeration to say that it will be found very difficult to fill his place.

In his younger days he was a very keen and fine tennis player, and he always took the greatest interest in all kinds of sport.

Of later years he has been far from well but his indomitable spirit and extraordinary love for his calling kept him in harness until the last.

He leaves his widow, his sister Mrs P.A.F. Macleod, and his brother Mr H.F.D. Gall to morn his loss.

It is not amiss to say, now that he has passed away from amongst us, "Well done thou good and faithful servant"
DOC

Re: Arthur Henry Beckles Gall (1870-1937)

Postby Mellib » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:08 am

Hi in reading your post I see that Mr Gall was stationed Grenada in your research could you tell me if any of Galls other than him lived in Saint Vincent or St Lucia. I'm looking for one who left his family looking for work building the Panama Canal, but never returned. His kids names were Edmund and Edna Gall and they eventually left with their mother (maiden name may be Cozier) and came to Trinidad.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Mellib

Return to Obituaries