MASSIAH, LINDO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MASSIAH, LINDO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Postby Massiah » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 pm

I would welcome anybody who might be able to further my searches on the above named Ancestors.

The Lindo's had connections with Amsterdam but seemed to be living in Barbados Circa 1725 through till 1824 when the family became substantially diminished.

They had strong connections through marriage with the Massiah's another family that had come to Barbados circa 1680 onwards... also the Belinfante's and Lopez's too.

I as yet cannot identity the wife of Abraham Lindo (Senior) other than her first name was Judith B. 1725 D. 1783 ? also Isaac Lindo (Abraham's brother) whose wife was also named Judith B. 1724 - D. 1794 ? there is a possibility she is a Louzada but I cannot confirm that.

Also any information on Isaac de piza Massiah and his sister Sarah who was married to Joseph Barrow would be gratefully received.

Claire (Myers)
Last edited by Massiah on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Massiah

Re: MASSIAH, LINO, BELINFANTE, LOPEZ, (LOUZADA?) - Barbados

Postby Wema » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 pm

I too am searching for Massiah from Barbados. My maternal grandmother is Mabel Massiah from Barbados. She married a Louis Manuel from Trinidad and never returned to Barbados. Her last living daughter is 96 and does not remember meeting any family except for perhaps a sister.
Wema

Postby Massiah » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 am

Hello
it is good to hear from you. Apologies for the delay. Judging from the age of your maternal grandmother's living daughter who you say is 96 this would put her as born around 1917 ? in Barbados .

Do you have any idea of your maternal G. Mother's Birth date, or that of the possible sister and name of the sister.

The Massiah's seem to have split into several strands throughout the Island in the sense that if they were all Related back in the 17th Century some of them changed their religion . Assuming this is so ? ……..the Jewish strand which stayed Jewish were my Family who it would seem had several inter-racial marriages and liaisons. I have found the social aspect of all this fascinating as nowhere are we generally given to believe that this happened to the extent it did. I am promising to get myself a DNA test as my xmas present to myself but have as yet not managed to having just moved after 11 years from Singapore back to the UK. I would love to keep in touch unfortunately as yet I cannot add anything but here is my personal email in case you would like to correspond .

Some of the Massiah's became Church of England or in the nature of that path …….Do you belong to Ancestry.com as you will find people up there who are following the various strands.

My last relative that I know of was Rachael Lindo nee Massiah who died in 1848 Barbados and her Grandaughter my 2 x G. Grandmother who was Belle Elkin nee Massiah and Lindo who Died in 1895 UK.

Do stay in touch

Claire
Massiah

Postby IreneK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:49 pm

My 3XG GMother was Sarah Belinfante married to a Cohen Henriques from Jamaica. Born sometime around 1840.
IreneK

Postby Massiah » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Hello,
good to hear from you. My 5 x G.Grandmother married a Mehir Belinfante ….she died in 1796 they had one child that I know of Joseph Cohen Belinfante who married Esther Valverde and had 2 children that I know of - Meyer Belinfante DIED 1828 and Rebecca BORN circa 1800. I don't know if they married or had children. The name Belinfante is not so common in the West Indies……….I do know of a lady researching a Ruth Belinfante who married a James Seymore in 1836 ……could I pass on your info to her……….although at the moment there do not seem to be any links its incredible what can come to light …..sometimes.
Do keep in touch and let me know if there is anything that we may share and can build on. Did Sarah come from Barbados ??

Claire
Massiah

Postby IreneK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 am

Hi there! Not sure if she went to Barbados but I recall a tree that had Belinfantes from Amsterdam and many went to Germany. You may fwd any nfo you wd like. Im gna check my records to see when Sarah Belinfante came to Jamaica. Will let you know.
IreneK

Postby Massiah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:13 am

good to be in touch, lets see what transpires. Mehir Belnfante came from Amsterdam to Barbados circa 1725 , he was was the Mohir for the Barbados Jewish Congregation. Possibility that your 4 x G. Grandmother could descend his particular family.

On a sad note I remember Josephine Swannie who I think I mentioned in first email telling me that she hardly had come across any Belinfante's in the West Indies etc until she came across record of the Jews that died in Europe in the death camps in the 2nd WW. There were many on the lists.

Claire
Massiah

Postby IreneK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:31 pm

There is an excellent history of the Belinfantes on the web that I read. I have heard about the German branch. There were many. I will consult the family tree and let you know. It goes back about 6 or 7 generations!! Thanks for the updates!
IreneK

Postby IreneK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Claire. Need to correct my dates. Sarah Salomeh Belinfante was born 1816. She had asister Rebecca "Ribca" born 1810 who married a Lindo and their daughter married a Louza. Sara descends from Samuel Salomeh Belinfant who was born 1786. He and his 4 siblngs were the first generation born n Jamaica, altho hs father Salomeh (b. c. 1745) and GF Rafael both migrated there around 1760s from what Ive gleaned. Thnk rafael had a brother Meir but he he lived only til 31, and thier generation was from Amsterdam. Some of the brothers went to UK. Hope that helps.
IreneK

Postby Massiah » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:38 am

this is big news…………I think Ribca could be my Rebecca …………is there any chance you can find out the 'Lindo' she married……..my family is also connected by marriage to Louzada's. When I am able in the next day or two I will drill down on my facts for Ribca and be in touch. Very Excited ……it would seem to be possibly strong lead…………..

thank you again for getting back to me with this update

Claire
Massiah

Postby IreneK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 am

Clair, I have Ribca Belinfanta (born 1809 or 1810) married toSamuel Y. Lindo about Nov 1928. Not sure of Ribca's daughters name, possibly Judith and there was a son, I believe his name was Daniel if I recall correctly. Hope this helps.
IreneK

Postby Massiah » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 am

I have just looked at the details of Rebecca Belinfante that I have as the daughter of Joseph Cohen Belinfante and Esther Valverde. I have put her birth as circa 1800 the reason for this was a Manumission Deed that I came across dated 1828 which named her as the Liberator of Peggy Ann ( a slave) with a John Montefiore as mediator . She could easily have been doing this at aged 20 as an adult so this would put her in your timeframe if they are one and the same person. Both her parents had passed away in 1814 ……so if this had been a family slave it is not surprising that she is undertaking the task. OH DEAR I have just re-read a previous email where you tell me about Sara and her father and Rebecca being her sister. (Apologies for not retaining this but I am in the middle of a big move having arrived back in the UK a few weeks ago after 11 years in Singapore so all is a bit chaotic) .

I do feel there must be a link somewhere especially as the name Belinfante is quite unusual in the West Indies. I am wondering if your Sara's grandfather Rafael ? could be the brother of my Meir Jospeh Cohen Belinfante B. 1704 in Amsterdam and died 1752 in Barbados.

It would be interesting if we could prove a link…….

very best

Claire
Massiah

Postby IreneK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Claire, no need for apologies. This is all confusing even without a move to another country!!! I def think there is a common ancestor, if you know how to send private msg on ths site please msg me. I dont thnk I ought to mention other sites while on this one. There are so many rules and ways to get kickd off this site. Lol. And we cannot send email adresses on the msg boards. So if possible plz msg me.
IreneK

Postby bimjim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:32 pm

To send someone a PM = Private Message, simply look to the right of THEIR Post for the icon that looks like this (I put a red box around it):

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Image

Click on that icon, and you will get a contact form pre-loaded with their username address. All you have to do is add a Subject and Text, click on Send, and that's done.

Just so you know: In the Messages Folders, messages remaining in your Outbox have not yet been seen by the destination user. When they are viewed, they are moved to the Sent Folder.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby IreneK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks Jim!
IreneK

Next

Return to Surnames M