Murphy - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Murphy - Barbados

Postby dsmurphyn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:28 pm

CORRECTION TO POST: I recently learned that My great-grandfather's last name may or may not have been MURPHY. My great-grandmother's maiden name was apparently Murphy and James Murphy was her brother. I have received helpful information, and am trying to confirm details about there origin in Barbados. JAMES MURPHY was born in Barbados about 1880, immigrated to New York/ Philadelphia about 1911, he died possibly in the 1950's in Philadelphia. FRANK and JAMES were railroad blacksmiths. James' sister LOUISE MURPHY was born in Barbados about 1890. She immigrated to New York/ Philadelphia between 1911-1914. She lived mostly in Philadelphia, PA and died in Norristown PA about 1977. ANY information on Frank ?, James or Louise Murphy and who they were related to in Barbados would still be appreciated! Frank and Lousie's only son was my grandfather James Lewis Murphy.

Original post: Looking for info on my great grandfather,FRANK MURPHY, possibly born in Barbados, British West Indies, DIED about 1917. Frank is sometimes listed as having been born in New York. He died (in New York?) following complications from a work-related accident about 1917. Frank's brother JAMES MURPHY was born in Barbados about 1880, immigrated to New York/ Philadelphia about 1911, he died possibly in the 1950's in Philadelphia. FRANK and JAMES were railroad blacksmiths. FRANK's wife LOUISE MURPHY was born in Barbados about 1890, I do not have a maiden name. She immigrated to New York/ Philadelphia between 1911-1914. She lived mostly in Philadelphia, PA and died in Norristown PA about 1977. ANY information on Frank, James or Louise Murphy and who they were related to in Barbados would be SO MUCH appreciated! Some census list their nationality as 'British' or 'English". Frank and Lousie's only son was my grandfather James Lewis Murphy, and he did not like to talk much about family.
Last edited by dsmurphyn on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsmurphyn

Re: Murphy - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:03 am

AUBREY MURPHY was the son of JAMES HUBERT MURPHY (who was a printer in Kings Street) and ANNA LOUISE DRAYTON MURPHY.

Do these names mean anything to you?
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby dsmurphyn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:59 am

Thank you for your reply! I've never heard of those names. Do you know what years they lived? my great grandmother Louise was married to Frank, not James and my grandfather was an only child (Frank died when my grandfather was about 2yrs old). Maybe this James and Anna Louise were relatives from an earlier generation? I will try some searches to find out more about them, thank you!
dsmurphyn

Postby bimjim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:00 am

When I saw your Post I thought of a friend of mine in Barbados who was adopted.

His adoptive grandfather was Aubrey S Murphy, born 1895, and his adoptive father was born in 1917.

He will be in Barbados next week and will check on some stuff along your lines and see if there is anything more - although he is not yet registered here, he has a copy of your Post that I sent him, and he also has the URL address of this Thread to refer to.

I will respond to you as soon as I know something more - one way or the other.

Good luck!!

Jim Lynch
(Owner/Admin)
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby leecurlywurly » Wed May 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Jim,

While I am aware that this post is 6 years old! I'm looking into the Murphy family tree for my dad who seems you know I think.

AUBREY MURPHY was the son of JAMES HUBERT MURPHY (who was a printer in Kings Street) and ANNA LOUISE DRAYTON MURPHY. I have the birth certificate that matches this - trying to trace their family in Ireland.

Do you have any more information?

Thanks,
Lianne
leecurlywurly

Postby bimjim » Wed May 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Don't really have any more info. I do know that he was born in the UK, so maybe he is not a direct blood line. He never did get back to me on his tree... he lives in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos now.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby leecurlywurly » Wed May 04, 2016 9:11 pm

He's my dad :)

Trying to find more information, I have a photo of a potential Aubrey Murphy - Barbados on ancestry.co.uk.

Thanks for replying!
leecurlywurly

Postby bimjim » Wed May 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Roger Murphy is your Dad?

Disregard, I just confirmed that with him.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames M