McCRORIE/McCRORY, Trinidad/Guyana

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

McCRORIE/McCRORY, Trinidad/Guyana

Postby shea_kyle » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:46 pm

Lookin for information on Hugh McCrorie (1862 - 1928), he was born in Ayrshire, Scotland. He moved to Trinidad where he became a cocoa planter. He "married" Alice Bagmaniah and had 2 children Francis and Ethel. He eventually moved to Guyana where he was drowned at Rupunimi Falls on the Essequibo River. Any information would be appreciated.
I am researching the surnames: Ramsingh, Sampath, Ramdin, Tulsie/Toolsie, Springer, Macksoodan, Seunarine and McCrorie/McCrory.

Please contact me if you have any information.
shea_kyle

Postby ST AUBYN » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:42 pm

My parents did a lot of research into Amerindian Folk Tales in Guyana and one of the tales is about a river captain who drowned and there is a big
rock that goes by the name of "Old McRory"

This was just one of the bedtime stories that were read to us (way back in the 50's).

Come back and perhaps we could continue privately
SEEKING INFO ON ST AUBYNS IN GUYANA,
BARBADOS AND JAMAICA
ST AUBYN

Old McRory

Postby shea_kyle » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 pm

Your story sounds interesting, i love folk tales and would love to hear more! I tried to send u a private message but don't think it worked. WHat exactly is a river captain? Hugh McCrorie had a number of jobs: Butcher, Overseer, Planter and eventually Gold Miner! Where in Trinidad are you based? What surnames/families are you looking at?
Kyle
I am researching the surnames: Ramsingh, Sampath, Ramdin, Tulsie/Toolsie, Springer, Macksoodan, Seunarine and McCrorie/McCrory.

shea_kyle

Postby ST AUBYN » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Glad to hear from you. I live in Trinidad and am really trying to tidy up the St Aubyn and Terrill trees.

In Guyana the rivers are tremendous, many tidal, and a river captain
is the term given to the capatins of the vessels going using these waterways and they were the main source of transport of goods/cargo/
people/animals before the advent of air travel.
BARBADOS AND JAMAICA
ST AUBYN

Postby ST AUBYN » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Sorry I live in Diego Martin and will try and contact you privately.
BARBADOS AND JAMAICA
ST AUBYN

Postby shea_kyle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 pm

thanks for our reply, i'm afraid i saw ur message in my bulk inbox for some reason and deleted it by accident...sorry. please contact me again...thanks

shea_kyle

Return to Surnames M